NFL TV Announce Crews....why so bad?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turn down the sound and listen to Murph and kelso. I'm not a big fan of Murph as he misses a lot of things during the game, like who has the ball or where the spot is, but I really like Kelso (Homerism). He explains the play at that higher level that was asked for in an earlier post.

After that thats pretty much it. The guy with burlein last week was terrible. And last season we had an ex-raven for vikes game (forgot his name), probably worst ever. I don't know why they can't do better than most of the people on this forum. Is it really that hard? Can't they get some training ?

Fantasy football, fantasy GM and now fantasy announcer. LOL

Is it possible that as your football I.Q. goes up, your tolerance of misinformation and mediocrity go down?

Maybe the TV crews aren't getting worse. Maybe you're just becoming more of a critical connoisseur.

Or maybe opposite. As your football I.Q. goes up, ability to make critical evaluations goes down.

IMO no current announcer needs a good B word-slapping more than Phil Simms, so I'm glad the Bills don't get the #1 CBS team.

I really enjoyed Brad Nessler and Mike Mayock on Thursday nights, replacing them with more Phil Simms was criminal.

I think Aikman is the worst, other than being instantly recognizable I have no clue how he's on a network's A Team. He reminds me of Madden stating the obvious, but instead of being a funny guy and inserting random stories or sound effects, Troy's ability to state the obvious while adding nothing extra makes me wonder if he's living with serious head trauma.

Gruden's style can be pretty annoying, but I think he's one of the most prepared color guys.

Their job description pretty much entails reading scripts and toeing the company line. The ones you see every year like Tasker are good at doing what they're told. That's why they never call out refs for making bad calls, they only make "tough calls", they never admit when they were wrong, and many times ignore what's going on on the field in favor of human interest stories.

My recommendation is to watch games on mute. I guarantee you that post-game opinions differ between those that watched with the sound on and those that watched it with the sound off.

The announcers have earphones on so they can hear the director/producer. How do you think they know what replay is being shown? They also have spotters telling them who carried the ball, what line the ball is at and other stats. Try talking about something when someone is talking in your ear.

I know I couldn't do it at my age. My hard drive is too old with limited capacity. It's amazing they don't make more mistakes. When an announcer calls the wrong name for the ball carrier, chances are it's what he was told to say.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

No announcers. Just ambient stadium noise. Enhance the graphics a bit with player info. ie tackler, receiver runner and so on. Most of the announcers are intolerable to me. They just talk so as not to have dead air.

It was done in the early eighties - on a sat game between the dolphins and jets. I think the pa announcer was the only sound feed giving the call.

It worked.

The analysts and forced discussion make it tough to watch the game sometimes. I like it better when they just give the play by play as opposed to micro-analyzing everything.

Something along the lines of:

Boobie up the middle, tackled by Kirkpatrick gain of 8. 2 and 2 on the Bengals 34.

10 seconds later

EJ out of the gun trips right, throws it complete to Hogan, and he is going down the sideline. TOUCHDOWN!!!

Hands down, Gus Johnson.

(I don't think he does NFL anymore but still my favorite)

Now this is one of the very few guys that actually add something to the telecast. Guy is over the top and I really enjoy him. Doesn't fill the air with hackneyed drivel.

It was done in the early eighties - on a sat game between the dolphins and jets. I think the pa announcer was the only sound feed giving the call.

It worked.

It was done a few years ago in the NHL as well. I remember a Flyer/Bruin game probably 20 years ago or more. Then, maybe 5 years ago when HD was exploding they did a couple real cool games out here on the west coast with ice level HD cams and no announcers. Ducks vs Kings I believe. May have been a few games they did like this. Then they had a full featured intermission and they did a behind the scenes tour of the Duck Pond arena in HD as well. It was really enjoyable.

Well we got Wilcox again this week. No further comment needed. Got me thinking, I'm really surprised by the sharp drop off in quality from the top announce teams.

Collingsworth is clearly the best, maybe best ever.

Gruden is OK in spurts, when he's not trying to sound smart.

Aikman and buck have some presence, like the old CBS team of Madden and summerall (just not as good)

Johnson has gotten acceptable after he's learned to slow his high pitched voice down.

Gannon is OK too, comparable to Johnson.

After that thats pretty much it. The guy with Tasker last week was terrible. And last season we had an ex-raven for vikes game (forgot his name), probably worst ever. I don't know why they can't do better than most of the people on this forum. Is it really that hard? Can't they get some training ?

Collinsworth has always annoyed me and was an absolute weasel with his call of the Malcolm Butler Super Bowl play. Where does he get off telling everyone he cannot believe the call. Totally disrespectful and denigrating the soaring greatness of Butlers play on the ball. Can't believe the call? Teams have been passing on the 1 yard line for decades in critical situations. It was not more risky than running it. A hat on the ball would have been more likely than butler making the play. Procedure/offsides/bobbled snap the balls in the 5. Butler breaking up the pass would have been a great play. Actually snaring it was unreal. But all we heard from collinsworth was that it was a bad call by the coach.

The announcers have earphones on so they can hear the director/producer. How do you think they know what replay is being shown? They also have spotters telling them who carried the ball, what line the ball is at and other stats. Try talking about something when someone is talking in your ear.

I know I couldn't do it at my age. My hard drive is too old with limited capacity. It's amazing they don't make more mistakes. When an announcer calls the wrong name for the ball carrier, chances are it's what he was told to say.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm guessing I'm one of the few TBDers that actually has some background in broadcasting. Play by play in particular is so incredibly difficult, I just have to laugh at some of these criticisms.

I should point out I've never done play by play in my life, but have friends that do. You made a very good point that there is a constant litany of information being thrown at the announcer both in their eyes and ears that they have to selective take in, and distill cogently out of their mouths.

Edited by jimmy10