A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Disagree. One of the reasons you give Hughes that contract is because he makes plays like that. Yes, other guys would not have got there to make it. But he needs to make it. He didn't wrap his arms around the RBs legs, he tried to cut him down and just missed the tackle. I was surprised at how well Hughes played the run last year and ran across the field to make plays. That's what makes him worth the money and show that it is not the result of having three pro bowlers alongside him. But he needs to make that play and he just missed it.

Alright, well mark that down as one tackle he missed. But if you're going to keep a tally, be fair and keep a full one. It was a bad play, but he rarely misses tackles. He is one of the surest tacklers on the team.

And it was still an impressive play to get over there. Yes, he needs to finish, as you've noted.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. One of the reasons you give Hughes that contract is because he makes plays like that. Yes, other guys would not have got there to make it. But he needs to make it. He didn't wrap his arms around the RBs legs, he tried to cut him down and just missed the tackle.

I had a coach who used to say "too many billy goats and not enough crabs".

Dont try to punish him before you have him under control; get your claws on him and then make it hurt :devil:

Alright, well mark that down as one tackle he missed. But if you're going to keep a tally, be fair and keep a full one. It was a bad play, but he rarely misses tackles. He is one of the surest tacklers on the team.

And it was still an impressive play to get over there. Yes, he needs to finish, as you've noted.

I love Hughes despite his hothead. And one of the reasons I like him so much is he makes those plays all the way across the field where he hustles like crazy. And he's surprisingly good against the run. But he HAS to make that tackle if this defense is going to be elite. The same way that Bradham has to make that tackle last week. Otherwise we are just good.

I had a coach who used to say "too many billy goats and not enough crabs".

Dont try to punish before you have him under control; get your claws on him and then make it hurt :devil:

Ha. You hicks are funny bastards sometimes. ;)

But that was due to his work ethic and off the field issues (I think). He was widely considered an early round talent by most accounts. Most thought the Bills got a real steal, if they could get him straightened out. Just the fact that he is starting in the NFL (and at times going a reasonable job) says he was a great 7th round investment.

Considering what off the field issues many draftees have, I think the fact that since High School, he hadn't done much contributed to his low draft status. But that stuff doesn't matter anymore. He's in the NFL regardless of draft position, he needs to get better quickly.

Bill N.Y. C., Gilmore an Dareus were studs on defense. TT was the MVP on offense.

Henderson was horrible. Simply overmatched and too often befuddled. Kujo not brought in as a replacement says a lot about what the coaches think of Kujo.

TT made some scintillating runs that were the most important plays on offense. He is playing on a bad ankle and will be a likely casualty the more he runs.

Our OL played poorly but what made their run blocking look ineffective is that our running backs were not able to quickly hit the holes. Slow and sluggish runners will never be effective runners for us or any team.

The debate of keeping Da'Rick Rodgers over Hogan should be forever put to rest. Having utility players who can come in and contribute have an important role on teams.

TT was under duress and he made a number of poor passes. I'm still a boisterous supporter of him. I believe in him and I'm confident that he will get better. Still worry about his durability so those advocating for him to run more (Gotham Bill) control yourselves.

In my opinion Mariota is going to be a very good qb in this league in the not too distant future.

Dick LeBeau is an ageless wonder. He looks marvelous and is still sharp.

I'll take any road win, however ugly. Especially with no RB's worth a crap on the roster. Need Karlos back badly next week.

You could blame the Bills for taking too many penalties, but you have to put some blame on the refs. Some very questionable calls.

I though Herron played very well in their absence

Exceptions would be Schmidt, Hogan, K. Williams, and Gilmore. Woods made some nice blocks.

The Graham call was ridiculous.

Mario was clutch today too

- if they stick with TT have to let him run a lot. He's not accurate enough to play from the pocket....for every good pass he hits, he misses a couple. Not a good enough ratio for an NFL QB....example the good deeper throw to Hogan, negated by short miss to harvin and TD throw to Hogan, which was a low squirter that Hogan saved.

- injury risk when TT runs is over stated (sans the horse collar). He usually doesn't take big hits when he takes off, but in the pocket he gets sacked a lot....has to be one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

- Dixon is terrible. His lack of speed means be can't take advantage of openings. I dont care how good he is on special teams, if karlos and shady aren't coming back for a while re-sign

bryce

- huge props to Marcel on the pick, the highlight will focus on Gilmore and question mariotas decision. But with how quickly Marcel closed on mariota out of now where when mariota was already in throwing motion, not much else he could do.

- defense plays better on the road so far. Because lak of crowd noise when opposing offense is in field net-net actually helps us by allowing the D to communicate better?

I had no preconceived notions for Boom but for a guy bis size i thought he moved pretty well and actually looked to hit people... too bad about Cierre i really thought he would be something after learning more of the play book. Dixon should go back to fullback.

Disagree. One of the reasons you give Hughes that contract is because he makes plays like that. Yes, other guys would not have got there to make it. But he needs to make it. He didn't wrap his arms around the RBs legs, he tried to cut him down and just missed the tackle. I was surprised at how well Hughes played the run last year and ran across the field to make plays. That's what makes him worth the money and show that it is not the result of having three pro bowlers alongside him. But he needs to make that play and he just missed it.

That's a very hard play. By definition, an ankle grab isn't a good grip, and you just hope that the player stumbles and falls. That's what happens a lot of the time, and it's almost outside of the defender's hands. The bottom line: The rb made a good player after Hughes made a very good play to get over there.

Lewin looks pretty darn good, btw. He was totally screwed on a hands-to-the-face call on a play that didn't involve his hands getting into Hughes' face.

That's a very hard play. By definition, an ankle grab isn't a good grip, and you just hope that the player stumbles and falls. That's what happens a lot of the time, and it's almost outside of the defender's hands. The bottom line: The rb made a good player after Hughes made a very good play to get over there.

Lewin looks pretty darn good, btw. He was totally screwed on a hands-to-the-face call on a play that didn't involve his hands getting into Hughes' face.

Agree with all of that. But Hughes was in position to do anything he wanted because the RB didn't expect him to be there so fast. He didn't have to grab his ankles at all, he could have easily tackled him at the knees or thighs. We pay him 8-9m a year to be a star and he needs to make that play.

Henderson has the ability and the chance to be pretty good if not very good. But for two seasons in a row he was very good in preseason and not good at all in the regular season.

I see a guy out there who just loses focus.

If he ever puts it together mentally he will be held in high regard because he is a physically imposing dude who isn't physically stressed by playing the game.

If Lewin was the guy wearing the 77, he deserved every call he got.

I saw him jaw-jacking guys at least 2-3 times before the first time he finally got called for it.

I saw him jaw-jacking guys at least 2-3 times before the first time he finally got called for it.

He may have done stuff on other plays, but on his final hands-to-the-face call, it wasn't even close: he didn't do it. It was a bad call. And aren't you the one arguing against makeup calls? ;)

The block Robert Woods made on TT's rushing TD was incredible! Woods blasted the Titans defender so hard that he threw him into another Titans defender and knocked both of them to the ground.

Noticed that, it was awesome.

Yes and yes. He was violating Hughes much of the day.....but not on that play. It was weird but Hughes had his head WAY back and it appeared that it must be getting pushed back....but Lewins hands were nowhere near his face. It occurred to me that Hughes might have been setting him up for that call.

I see a guy out there who just loses focus.

If he ever puts it together mentally he will be held in high regard because he is a physically imposing dude who isn't physically stressed by playing the game.

That's been my take on Henderson when watching the all 22s. He's got all the skills needed but for the concentration. That could be developed, but this year's team needs him to develop that trait really fast.

Yes and yes. He was violating Hughes much of the day.....but not on that play. It was weird but Hughes had his head WAY back and it appeared that it must be getting pushed back....but Lewins hands were nowhere near his face. It occurred to me that Hughes might have been setting him up for that call.

I missed the second time he got called for it (must have been mixing one up) but I thought the first time he got called for it was also a weak call compared to what he'd already been up to on a couple downs previously.

If Jerry has suddenly figured out how to draw calls instead of frothing about the ones he's not getting, that's even better than adding a new pass rush move!

I'll take any road win, however ugly. Especially with no RB's worth a crap on the roster. Need Karlos back badly next week.

You could blame the Bills for taking too many penalties, but you have to put some blame on the refs. Some very questionable calls.

The Bills should just bite the bullet and cut Dixon. He is not a NFL Starting RB. Even Bryce Brown will be a better runner.

The block Robert Woods made on TT's rushing TD was incredible! Woods blasted the Titans defender so hard that he threw him into another Titans defender and knocked both of them to the ground.

THat is one of the phenomenal blocks I have seen in the NFL. It was Polamaluisque!!!