Corey Graham penalty

YoloinOhio

clean hit...not a tough call for the refs...led with his shoulder

It's not a tough call for the ref. A bills player threw it, so it must be a penalty. That's where this team has gotten them self with all the personal fouls in the first few weeks. They don't get the benefit of doubt in the refs mind. They have dug this hole for themselves, but hopefully the much more controlled responses this week will start to correct that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the broadcast said they were the same but I think the defender actually got TT under the collar and Bradham did not per a tweet from someone at the game

Probably already confirmed, but, he had the back of MM's jersey right in the middle of the number. A good and surprising no call.

We have physical corners and safeties and rarely see this issue. Let's not act like it's been a total epidemic and impossible to play functionally

Whether it's been a epidemic has nothing to do with anything. Again, why are you supposed to let the WR match the catch uncontested? Should they just put flags on everyone?

Whether it's been a epidemic has nothing to do with anything. Again, why are you supposed to let the WR match the catch uncontested? Should they just put flags on everyone?

We've seen the bills hit several wrs without flags was my point.

In years past its been an issue but it seems it's been much more under control this year (in the games I've seen)

Edited by NoSaint

Here's the deal. It was a bad call, no doubt about it. But I don't blame the ref one bit. I blame the NFL/the system. They are coached to throw the flag for helmet to helmet contact. How in God's name are they supposed to be able to tell if there was helmet to helmet contact in real time? It's an impossible task. There don't exist these magical men sitting around somewhere who could do a better job than the refs they already have. The NFL is not as good of a product as it was ten years ago because of all the silly rules and over-scrutinization of every little move every player makes. How are the refs supposed to tell in real time if the two QB's today were yanked down by the collar or the jersey just below the collar? They don't have slow motion replay to make those calls and more often than not, they don't have the perfect angle. Anyway I'm rambling. Bottom line, if you're blaming the refs themselves, you're not seeing the bigger picture.

Here's the deal. It was a bad call, no doubt about it. But I don't blame the ref one bit. I blame the NFL/the system. They are coached to throw the flag for helmet to helmet contact. How in God's name are they supposed to be able to tell if there was helmet to helmet contact in real time? It's an impossible task. There don't exist these magical men sitting around somewhere who could do a better job than the refs they already have. The NFL is not as good of a product as it was ten years ago because of all the silly rules and over-scrutinization of every little move every player makes. How are the refs supposed to tell in real time if the two QB's today were yanked down by the collar or the jersey just below the collar? They don't have slow motion replay to make those calls and more often than not, they don't have the perfect angle. Anyway I'm rambling. Bottom line, if you're blaming the refs themselves, you're not seeing the bigger picture.

In a large part, a point I've made week in and week out. For what they are tasked, the refs do a pretty impressive job. Whether the answer is less rules or simply more patience/understanding I haven't made a hard stance. Likely a bit of each. The horse collar seems a fair rule but that doesn't mean it's always easily enforced, for instance.

Awful call for so many reasons.

1. It wasn't a penalty. No grounds for a call. At all. It was a tackle.
  2. Critical situation. You have to make a team earn it. Stop giving teams easy first downs on third and long.
  3. It felt like a makeup call because they didn't throw the flag for Bradham's tackle, but they did throw the flag for the horsecall on Tyrod, neither of which were penalties. Somehow, it seems like NFL refs feel that make up calls are OK.

Here's the hit again: https://vine.co/v/e097JhW6mUW

If players are fined for penalties after games, like Hughes was this week, this referees should be fined for non penalties, as well. Their pay needs to be docked for things like this. It's out of control.

Here's the deal. It was a bad call, no doubt about it. But I don't blame the ref one bit. I blame the NFL/the system. They are coached to throw the flag for helmet to helmet contact. How in God's name are they supposed to be able to tell if there was helmet to helmet contact in real time?

I just don't think it's all that complicated.

We all know what a killshot looks like. If you see one, call it. If you don't actually SEE a penalty, don't fu(king call it.

That was one of the most embarrassingly bad calls I've ever seen at any level of football.

We all know what a killshot looks like. If you see one, call it. If you don't actually SEE a penalty, don't fu(king call it.

That was one of the most embarrassingly bad calls I've ever seen at any level of football.

Coooome on.... One of the most embarrassingly bad you've ever seen at any level? Even as a missed call you can dial back the hyperbole a little.

This. If you didn't see it, don't call it. No excuses for this ref. There have to be consequences for things like this. If I go into my job tomorrow and completely F up, there are consequences. Why is there no measure of accountability for NFL officials to do their jobs?

Missing a call is one thing. Calling bogus penalties that have a heavy odor of trying to directly impact the game is another. There should be consequences.

Coooome on.... One of the most embarrassingly bad you've ever seen at any level? Even as a missed call you can dial back the hyperbole a little.

I don't think this is that much of a stretch. There have been calls that have been more impactful because they have happened in bigger situations, but this is about as bad as it gets in terms of just flagging someone for no reason. Throwing an "unnecessary roughness" on a perfectly legal tackle, IMO, is the worst call that can be made.

It's a chicken call and a disgrace to the men who are out there actually playing the game.

Edited by DC Greg

It was really bad......but I just knew after they picked up the horse collar flag on Bradham that they would immediately be LOOKING for a give-back type of call and I was just glad it happened in the Titans end of the field where the D could recover.

They did get the final ruling right on both of the horse collars in the end. Was satisfied to then see Brown injured on the kickoff soon after he rolled up on Taylor in frustration and nearly busted TT up.

Good stripes know better than to make up calls on key third downs, particularly late in games.

That guy took a full 2-3 seconds to think about it and then threw a flag from 25 yards on a "penalty" that he still never saw happen.

Guys at the HS and college level generally have the good sense to not impose their stupidity on games, but the fact that a professional zebra felt he was entitled to impose his willful imagination on a game is symptomatic of a significantly larger problem.

FWIW, I'd be equally as annoyed had he thrown that flag on the Titans if the roles were reversed.

At want point do we recognize that entitled officials are having a noticeably detrimental impact on the game and take steps to address it?

Good stripes know better than to make up calls on key third downs, particularly late in games.

That guy took a full 2-3 seconds to think about it and then threw a flag from 25 yards on a "penalty" that he still never saw happen.

Guys at the HS and college level generally have the good sense to not impose their stupidity on games, but the fact that a professional zebra felt he was entitled to impose his willful imagination on a game is symptomatic of a significantly larger problem.

FWIW, I'd be equally as annoyed had he thrown that flag on the Titans if the roles were reversed.

At want point do we recognize that entitled officials are having a noticeably detrimental impact on the game and take steps to address it?

Well said.

It was really bad......but I just knew after they picked up the horse collar flag on Bradham that they would immediately be LOOKING for a give-back type of call and I was just glad it happened in the Titans end of the field where the D could recover.

They did get the final ruling right on both of the horse collars in the end. Was satisfied to then see Brown injured on the kickoff soon after he rolled up on Taylor in frustration and nearly busted TT up.

It is disgusting that we have to expect make up calls to happen, and we accept that they are a legitimate part of the game. They are a disgrace to the game's integrity, and the NFL referees, as a whole, should be embarrassed.

Awful call.

Similar call in the Browns game and it's about to cost the Browns the game.

There is no accountability.

I saw the Browns play. It looked to me like he took a couple of steps and deliberately labeled him with the ball long gone. That was the right call. The call on Graham was much closer. I thought the Graham hit was legal as he had no chance to let up. The ball had barely passed the receiver when Graham hit him.

Good point. It is why there are so many terrible calls. They have been asked to enforce a whole bunch of new personal foul penalties that didn't exist before, and more than that, they're basically required to exercise MORAL judgment. It is a bad recipe, and there needs to be some sort of review.

It really was very, very bad.