Top 5 teams in the AFC right now

PatsFanNH

Every team in that top 5,except New England and Buffalo, are flawed in a major way.

Buffalo is not in my opinion flawed but they are still gelling as a team. The true starting offense has hardly been on the field due to injuries. Also, the coaching staff is adjusting to the team. Don't get me wrong, it's all going in the right direction but the Cheats* game showed how exposed the Bills can be due to this set of dynamics. I really believe we have to be 8 to 10 games deep into the season before Buffalo really knows what kind of team they have.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo is not in my opinion flawed but they are still gelling as a team. The true starting offense has hardly been on the field due to injuries. Also, the coaching staff is adjusting to the team. Don't get me wrong, it's all going in the right direction but the Cheats* game showed how exposed the Bills can be due to this set of dynamics. I really believe we have to be 8 to 10 games deep into the season before Buffalo really knows what kind of team they have.

I think the main flaw for Buffalo right now is still the offensive line. I wouldn't say it's a major flaw, but I'm not convinced yet that this is a line that can help get the yards when they're needed. The midsirection plays and Tyrod's feet help, but when it comes to straight-up run blocking I think they still have a ways to go.

Then again, I've always believed that it takes the first month for an offensive line to really come together, and on top of that, Roman's blocking schemes are supposedly very complex, so I'm looking forward to seeing them get better as the year goes on.

All of the Manning criticism deals with his crap play in the playoffs and not in the regular season.

The biggest game Manning and Brady can play is the AFC Title Game.

Manning is 2-1 in those.

He's been to 3 SB with three different head coaches and two different franchises.

He's "only" won 1 though. So people think he's a bum.

As great as New England* is they have won it all one time in the past 10 years.

That ought to tell you all you need to know about how hard it is to win it all.

The biggest game Manning and Brady can play is the AFC Title Game.

Manning is 2-1 in those.

He's been to 3 SB with three different head coaches and two different franchises.

He's "only" won 1 though. So people think he's a bum.

As great as New England* is they have won it all one time in the past 10 years.

That ought to tell you all you need to know about how hard it is to win it all.

Manning has gone 1 and done in the playoffs 9 times now. And, 6 of those 9 have been as the home team with 5 of these coming as the #1 or #2 seed which means he had 2 weeks to prepare. Manning has just 1 fourth quarter comeback drives …. in 24 playoff chances

Brady, OTOH, has been to 9 AFCC games and he has played well enough to win 6 super bowls compared to Manning's one.

In both of his two SB losses, Brady directed go ahead scores late into the 4th quarter only to see his defense relinquish the leads thanks to fluke plays. Manning, OTOH, got blown out in one super bowl loss and threw a game sealing pick 6 in the other.

Manning has gone 1 and done in the playoffs 9 times now. And, 6 of those 9 have been as the home team with 5 of these coming as the #1 or #2 seed which means he had 2 weeks to prepare. Manning has just 1 fourth quarter comeback drives …. in 24 playoff chances

Brady, OTOH, has been to 9 AFCC games and he has played well enough to win 6 super bowls compared to Manning's one.

In both of his two SB losses, Brady directed go ahead scores late into the 4th quarter only to see his defense relinquish the leads thanks to fluke plays. Manning, OTOH, got blown out in one super bowl loss and threw a game sealing pick 6 in the other.

Scoring 14 and 16 points in the Superbowl does not constitute playing well enough to win.

He's played well enough to win 4 Superbowls and lose 2. He's very accomplished; there's no need to over-state his accomplishments.

So basically you are saying you'd take Dalton over Taylor? Go ahead. I'll trust my eyes and go with Tyrod. The Bills are twice the team Cincinnati is right now.

Have your eyes seen Dalton play this year? The guy has played lights out thus far.

Any my point wasn't to create a debate about who is better, you said they have a "major flaw" and I asked what that flaw is because if they have that flaw then so do the Bills. The question both teams have is, "can their QB play at a consistently high level." I guess you don't think that's a question with the Bills and we should book our flight to the AFC championship game but most think it's a question that TT will have to answer week in and week out.

The season is long and there is only so much you can gather after 3 weeks. So far it looks promising, let's see if it continues.

The "Brady is God" people just want to bash Manning and minimize what he's done at every turn.

Brady > Manning. It's over. You've won that debate.

Then again, Brady > pretty much every QB ever, so that doesn't mean Manning is a "loser" or a "failure."

I'll bet Kelly and Marino would like to have "only" one SB ring.

I think the main flaw for Buffalo right now is still the offensive line. I wouldn't say it's a major flaw, but I'm not convinced yet that this is a line that can help get the yards when they're needed. The midsirection plays and Tyrod's feet help, but when it comes to straight-up run blocking I think they still have a ways to go.

Then again, I've always believed that it takes the first month for an offensive line to really come together, and on top of that, Roman's blocking schemes are supposedly very complex, so I'm looking forward to seeing them get better as the year goes on.

I agree that the Bills main flaw is their O line, and I think its a major flaw right now.

McCoy 11 rushes for 16 yards. Dixon 5 rushes for -1 yard. While Karlos Williams did much better with his 12 rushes for 110 yards. One of his runs went for 41 yards so its 11 rushes for 69 yards which is still excellent. Now McCoy might have a slight injury that's keeping him from being 100%. I also think its because they keyed on him to run the ball when he is in the backfield.

Between Tyrod's roll outs, and Karlos's power I think it made a bad offensive line look much better then it really is, and lets not forget that the Bills were playing with a lead all game. Then that lead came from all Tyrod's passing with four straight passes till the TD pass to Clay.

The Bills were supposed to be a power running team this season with more running then passing, and so far the only player able to meet that power run criteria is Karlos Williams. Tyrod Taylor also gives the offense a big edge with his running ability.

Still, there are a lot of things that can change before approaching the playoffs, and one of them is getting their O line coach Aaron Kromer back from his team suspension. Then the rookie at RG, and the 2nd year RT can always get better in the developmental process.

The "Brady is God" people just want to bash Manning and minimize what he's done at every turn.

Then again, Brady > pretty much every QB ever, so that doesn't mean Manning is a "loser" or a "failure."

I think Brady is best, but Manning is outrageously great too! I will take Manning over Favre, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Aikman, Steve Young...on and on.

Scoring 14 and 16 points in the Superbowl does not constitute playing well enough to win.

He's played well enough to win 4 Superbowls and lose 2. He's very accomplished; there's no need to over-state his accomplishments.

As I said, he was good enough to drive his team's to late leads which were eventually squandered.

The point isn't that Manning is a failure. On the contrary, his stats will show him to be one of the best QB's ever ...until you delve closer into those stats and see that he was a horrid QB come the most important time of the football season.

Edited by Pneumonic

I wouldn't include Cincy in the top 5.

Check out their schedule: they will lose their next four games.

Wouldn't surprise me. They have got off to hot starts a few times in recent years only to end up fighting to the wire to secure a play-off berth. At this moment in time I make the Bills favourites to win the head to head against them in a few weeks.

I still have a suspicion that Rex played rope-a-dope in our first game against the Pats. Rex is cerebral enough to know that we had a soft schedule after the Colts and Pats and that the game in Foxsborough would be much bigger than game 2 of the season. Why show all your cards? Especially if there is a strong possibility that both teams will meet in the playoffs potentially.

This is a good Bills team. Probably the best we've dressed in 15 years. If everything goes to plan, this will be a top 5 AFC team and a definite contender.

I doubt that, they were dopes alright, but I don't think intentionally so?

I agree that the Bills main flaw is their O line, and I think its a major flaw right now.

McCoy 11 rushes for 16 yards. Dixon 5 rushes for -1 yard. While Karlos Williams did much better with his 12 rushes for 110 yards. One of his runs went for 41 yards so its 11 rushes for 69 yards which is still excellent. Now McCoy might have a slight injury that's keeping him from being 100%. I also think its because they keyed on him to run the ball when he is in the backfield.

Between Tyrod's roll outs, and Karlos's power I think it made a bad offensive line look much better then it really is, and lets not forget that the Bills were playing with a lead all game. Then that lead came from all Tyrod's passing with four straight passes till the TD pass to Clay.

The Bills were supposed to be a power running team this season with more running then passing, and so far the only player able to meet that power run criteria is Karlos Williams. Tyrod Taylor also gives the offense a big edge with his running ability.

Still, there are a lot of things that can change before approaching the playoffs, and one of them is getting their O line coach Aaron Kromer back from his team suspension. Then the rookie at RG, and the 2nd year RT can always get better in the developmental process.

So what Karlos and Tyrod did doesn't count? Thus the line is NOT very good. Not sure I follow your logic?

Edited by CSBill

I have to agree. They do not know who they are yet. all new stuff. We can hope for sure as they are making strides.

Methinks the Bengals and Dalton are pretty damned good.This might be the year Dalton beats his curse!

Denver will get the offense settled sooner than later and with that defense they have time to work it out.

Patriots are playing out of their minds.

Lets see how long it holds up. But, wow.

Its still very early folks.

As I said, he was good enough to drive his team's to late leads which were eventually squandered.

The point isn't that Manning is a failure. On the contrary, his stats will show him to be one of the best QB's ever ...until you delve closer into those stats and see that he was a horrid QB come the most important time of the football season.

Manning has won plenty of playoff games.

It's a team game. New England* is more than just Brady.

A DB won the SB for them last year.

Manning has won plenty of playoff games.

It's a team game. New England* is more than just Brady.

A DB won the SB for them last year.

You just said "a DB won the the SB for them" in the same post as "it's a team game".

One could easily say "Tom Brady gave the Patriots defense a lead, but they almost blew it".

Edited by HoF Watkins

This is a good Bills team. Probably the best we've dressed in 15 years. If everything goes to plan, this will be a top 5 AFC team and a definite contender.

The Drew Bledsoe led team that started with a whipping of BRady 31-0 was a pretty loaded team on Offense and Defense. They just couldn't put it together because DB was an average QB.

like the people bashing the Bills for 4 straight SB's losses?

The Defense, though in tact, was in its 2nd week of a new coaching style / scheme and the offense was in week 2 of its conception (in real games) under Roman.