The "Pass" was meant for Woods.

D521646

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any way that Woods goes the distance with that pass. It looks behind him from the A-22, so he probably needs to stop to catch it and then turn up-field. Most likely, it's a reception near mid-field, followed by a clock-kill that sets up 2nd-and-10 with slightly less than a minute to go and zero time-outs.

I think it would have been a touchdown had it been intended for Woods, meaning the ball was thrown to him in stride. I was at the game, and initially I thought "this is it!" until it became obvious it was going short. An argument could be made that the Pats D wouldn't have come off him then, but I believe he had a few steps on him.

Edit: And looking at the post a few posts above mine, I can see maybe it woudn't have been a TD, but still a big catch,

How about hitting the receiver with a good throw?

Just an idea. Certain QBs I know of would have been thrown under the bus hard for such a poor throw.

He has to fall out of their graces before they start calling him out for that stuff, plus he didn't cost a 1st round pick so it doesn't bug them that much. I think both of them are on the same level and they can both be decent QBs when they want. That said I think Tyrod had a lot of the same problems EJ had the first 4 games last season. Dancing around in the pocket, taking sacks, and dumping it off every single play whether its working or not.
Edited by What a Tuel

That was 100 percent for Watkins. See Jeremy White's All 22.

Anyway, it was nearly an impossible catch, the kind you never see receivers make (way high and behind him; it only touched his fingertips). Watkins isn't superhuman, you know. That one is all on Taylor. He'll get better.

Edited by dave mcbride

How about hitting the receiver with a good throw?

Just an idea. Certain QBs I know of would have been thrown under the bus hard for such a poor throw.

I think it goes both ways. QBs need to help out the receivers with good ball placement and not leading them into big hits. But WRs need to bail out their QB on occasion when the pass isn't perfect. Like I said before, Watkins is supposed to be a top receiver in this league. The Bills moved up in the draft and got him. How far he has yet to show that in most games. On that particular play, you would like to see your difference maker make a difference. It's the same with the high priced guys on the D-line. You expect those guys to come through when the game is on the line and for the most part, they failed this week. TT, Watkins, The D-line, the coaches, the whole team needs to do better.

That's what bugged me a little bit about that play. It was not a great throw, but Sammy needs to catch that pass. The great receivers make those plays when their team needs them too. Look at the ridiculous catch that Amendola made on the throw from Brady. That was spectacular. That was a tough catch than this one would have been. Sammy is supposed to be an elite receiver, Amendola is not. If the Bills are to reach their goals this year, Sammy is going to need to perform like a top receiver.

Seriously. He jumped as high as he could & still couldn't reach it.

That's what bugged me a little bit about that play. It was not a great throw, but Sammy needs to catch that pass. The great receivers make those plays when their team needs them too. Look at the ridiculous catch that Amendola made on the throw from Brady. That was spectacular. That was a tough catch than this one would have been. Sammy is supposed to be an elite receiver, Amendola is not. If the Bills are to reach their goals this year, Sammy is going to need to perform like a top receiver.

Sammy has made some pretty extraordinary catches, man. He's normally very reliable. Remember that one where he reached backward like 4 feet behind him and tipped it to himself? Against Detroit to keep a crucial drive alive also.

I wouldn't be to harsh on #14.

Edit: found the video of that play

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap3000000405801/Sammy-Watkins-tips-to-himself

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I had the same thought, that perhaps the pass wasn't intended for Watkins. It's a little unusual for two receivers to be aligned that way so I wonder if one of them ran the wrong route. If so it was probably Watkins who wasn't where TT expected him to be. Nevertheless, when Watkins saw the ball coming his way I can't fault him for trying to make a catch. Only an exceptional athlete could elevate enough to deflect the pass. So the Bills might have had a combination of bad luck factors all working against them.

I think it's one thing to reach it with your hands, and another to reach it with the tops of your fingertips. That was at his fingertips. Basically uncatchable.

:doh: Sorry, I forgot where I was

Things that don't count on TBD:

- 4th quarter stats

- Sammy Watkins' fingers

- Drives that result in rushing touchdowns

Things that sometimes count on TBD:

- Preseason stats

I had the same thought, that perhaps the pass wasn't intended for Watkins. It's a little unusual for two receivers to be aligned that way so I wonder if one of them ran the wrong route. If so it was probably Watkins who wasn't where TT expected him to be. Nevertheless, when Watkins saw the ball coming his way I can't fault him for trying to make a catch. Only an exceptional athlete could elevate enough to deflect the pass. So the Bills might have had a combination of bad luck factors all working against them.

It was for Watkins. Watch the All 22.