Did we underestimate the Jets?

xsoldier54

They got some major luck last night. Davis going down, Vinatieri missing a chip shot for the first time in 7 years, and Gore fumbling at the goal line after a clean handoff and without being touched. That said, they can be a formidable team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon Marshall is a good enough playmaker and Eric Decker is a good #2 WR. You could even make the argument that Chris Ivory is a good #1 running back. I just want to see how long they can go with Fitz. As much as I love his effort & heart, you know he'll have a game where those forced throws turn into INTs all day. He won't keep this up.

I agree that the Jets have some decent talent at the WR skill positions in both Marshall & Decker. Then starting RB Ivory (who is averaging 4.4 yards per carry) and backup RB Powell (who is averaging 4.2 yards per carry) are a good RB combo to help that offense control the clock.

Lets not forget that Chan Gailey was calling the offensive plays in Buffalo when he was the HC, and Fitz was his QB all that time so he knows the system. What has changed with Gailey is it looks like he isn't the same pass happy OC as he was in Buffalo, and the Jets actually have more rushing attempts then passing attempts at this point.

That 2014 NY Jets defense was ranked 6th overall last year, and that was despite the fact that Rex Ryan said they had no decent CB's. The Jets defense is currently ranked 10th overall right now. BTW the Jets turnover differential is currently at +8 so the are getting a lot of takeaways, and Buffalo is at +2. Another note for the Jets is their point differential is their defense has the lowest point total at 17 PA to PF 51

Bottom line that Jets O line might be the best that Fitz has ever had in his career, and now that Gailey isn't forcing Fitz to carry the team they could go really far this year. BTW, their new HC has stated that when Geno is fully healthy and returns to the team should the Jets have a winning record Ole broke jaw won't be the starter.

So yea, I'd say most fans underestimated the Jets so far this year.

It's one of those things. We were all happy we beat the Colts, a team the prognosticators had in the Superbowl or at least contending again for the AFC East. We thumped them pretty well, and so did the Jets. So now the question is, are the Jets great or maybe the Colts are just not a very good team?

I think our team is greatly improved on paper but 1) so far Ryan's D shows regression vs Schwartz last year. He was handed the keys to an elite group of players, so if we lay an egg, he's the hen.

2) so far we haven't shown the ability to utilize our improved offensive players yet, and the OL kind of looks like cat sh** to me. Roman needs to build his rep as a OC who can utilize a stout run and a QB who is not a great pocket passer. I am under-impressed by Rex's press conferences calling for Taylor to step up in the pocket more. If you want a pocket passer, don't chose a short guy with wheels as your QB.

Good stuff, and I agree with it.

Fitz/Chan had **** defenses when they were here. The Jets have a top 5 defense, easily.

yes they did... Also Fitz had a top defense in Houston, an offensive coach most consider to be better than Chan,plenty of weapons, in an easier division, and had some good games but got benched mid-season.

Luck can only do so much.

But a team wins because of it's QB. It's really all you need. I know because I've read it on TBD about a gazillion times.

Suck for Lucks were kindof snake bit last night. A fumble on the 1 where the RB drops the football untouched enroute to a sure TD and one of the greatest kickers of all times misses a FG. That's the difference in the game.

As far a the Jets go, Coach Gailey seems to be handling Fitz a lot better now that he has a D and real WRs. Once they got up by 10 which is really not that big of lead, he went into stall ball and wouldn't let Fitz pass. Jets D did seem susceptible to the run though. They looked good to me.

Edited by reddogblitz

But a team wins because of it's QB. It's really all you need. I know because I've read it on TBD about a gazillion times.

Suck for Lucks were kindof snake bit last night. A fumble on the 1 where the RB drops the football untouched enroute to a sure TD and one of the greatest kickers of all times misses a FG. That's the difference in the game.

They (Luck) are 0-2, the Saints (Brees) are 0-2, the Seahawks (Wilson) are 0-2 and the Bengals (Dalton) & Jets (Fitzpatrick) are 2-0.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Whenever I think "You know, you really do have to show consistent success against quality opponents for people to take you seriously. It's not just that Buffalo is a small market team."

Someone please, remind me of this week.

The Jets beat the Colts by 13, and drub a abysmal looking Browns team and they're an underestimated contender.

The Bills beat the Colts by the same amount, and lose to the reining Champs by one score and they're all talk.

what about the offense

We traded the universe to get Sammy, and Woods can be a reliable number 2. The balls that are going to Harvin could be Sammy's. Also if Harvin plays an entire season I'd be shocked. Karlos Williams looks like a soild back, and who knows if we'll ever see the old shady. Running backs aren't valued high in the league anymore, unless your name is Doug Whaley. Charles Clay is a nice addition, but I like Gray a lot. No question we over paid for Clay. The strength of this team was supposed to be our D. I think the Ryan system will really struggle without shutdown corners. Sorry but Gilmore is not a shutdown corner, and Darby is still young. I really believe this defense would have been elite with Revis in the secondary. We were supposed to be relying on our defense this year anyway. We don't even know what we have at QB yet. All the weapons in the world won't make a difference without QB play.

We traded the universe to get Sammy, and Woods can be a reliable number 2. The balls that are going to Harvin could be Sammy's. Also if Harvin plays an entire season I'd be shocked. Karlos Williams looks like a soild back, and who knows if we'll ever see the old shady. Running backs aren't valued high in the league anymore, unless your name is Doug Whaley. Charles Clay is a nice addition, but I like Gray a lot. No question we over paid for Clay. The strength of this team was supposed to be our D. I think the Ryan system will really struggle without shutdown corners. Sorry but Gilmore is not a shutdown corner, and Darby is still young. I really believe this defense would have been elite with Revis in the secondary. We were supposed to be relying on our defense this year anyway. We don't even know what we have at QB yet. All the weapons in the world won't make a difference without QB play.

It isn't the players that are the problem from what i see!!

it was the defensive scheme against Brady that stunk up the field. We all saw what happens when you just try to rush with the front four, and drop into coverage when Dave Wannstedt was the Bills DC. That didn't work at all and the defense loaded with good talent was ranked 20th.

Just to show how fubar Ryan's scheme was Sunday they had Jerry Hughes covering Gronk. Now that's usually a mismatch with most LBers because they generally don't have the speed to keep up with Gronk, and a DT or DE on a TE is completely ridiculous IMO

Mike Pettine gambled far to often with all his blitzing, and Schwartz blitzed less while accomplishing better results with his scheme. Ryan tried to play it safe, and Brady burned him.

how did it work out last year with those "good enough" offensive weapons? You like how Sammy was doubled all year and we had to throw elsewhere all the time? The targets to Percy, Clay early in the year and the threat/performance of McCoy is going to open things up big time for Sammy. And we already saw the "old" McCoy on Sunday.

But the kicker is that you think we should have "just signed Revis" as if he was listed in the Buy it Now category on Ebay.

Whenever I think "You know, you really do have to show consistent success against quality opponents for people to take you seriously. It's not just that Buffalo is a small market team."

The Jets beat the Colts by 13, and drub a abysmal looking Browns team and they're an underestimated contender.

The Bills beat the Colts by the same amount, and lose to the reining Champs by one score and they're all talk.

let's face it. It was an embarrassing win. Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills were beaten soundly. A 4th quarter anomaly made the score closer than the game actually was is all. Anyone who watched the game knows this.

But the bottom line is, the Jets are 2-0 and the Bills are 1-1. The effort that most national media generally puts into their research leads me to believe that's all they are looking at, not the quality of the wins.

Edited by CodeMonkey