Bills are relevant again

PromoTheRobot

Ha.

National sports teams are basically cities competing for attention. If no one else knew about it, you (or your friends and fellow fans) wouldn't get anything from it. It's only importance is gained from how it relates to other cities teams.

What are you talking about? You're saying if I go to the Ralph with my friends and watch the Bills CRUSH the P*ts, the only way I'd "get anything from it" is if it was covered by the national media?

You realize how ridiculous that is, don't you? It's not true on any level.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As many people have already said, the on-field results obviously mean more. That said, it is nice to get a bit of positive national attention in the media. I've had several friends from all over the country who aren't Bills fans reach out this week to talk about our game vs the Colts. Hopefully we can keep the W's coming and give the talking heads some more to discuss.

What are you talking about? You're saying if I go to the Ralph with my friends and watch the Bills CRUSH the P*ts, the only way I'd "get anything from it" is if it was covered by the national media?

You realize how ridiculous that is, don't you? It's not true on any level.

Oh Greggy, thinking small again...

The satisfaction you get from a Bills victory, is only relevant if other team's fans know and care about the game.

It's not a personal accomplishment. It only derives power from how it relates to other communities. The media (ESPN, SI, fan blogs, websites...large or small) gives it a forum, and relays the news of the teams accomplishments.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The satisfaction you get from a Bills victory, is only relevant if other team's fans know and care about the game.

It's not a personal accomplishment. It only derives power from how it relates to other communities. The media (ESPN, SI, fan blogs, websites...large or small) gives it a forum, and relays the news of the teams accomplishments.

I hope you're trolling or else this is really sad.

I personally would like to fly a little more under the radar till we have more wins.....

but whatever...it is what it is

Beating up the Colts pretty much kills that plan. Beating **Patriots will completely destroy it. Screw it...lets just win our 1st 10 games and coast into the playoffs.

Edited by Rockinon

Interesting. Tell me then, what do you find satisfying about the Bills winning, and why?

I'm certainly not going to lay out all of my deep seated emotions regarding the Bills for you. I can tell you that what someone on ESPN says has literally no bearing.

This history does temper enthusiasm. The Trent Edwards fall off the cliff scenario in combination with the Fitznomagic years really weigh right now. This is a different team so it's week to week we go.

yeah, all those teams of the last decade were "different". Bledsoe, Lynch, Evans, McGahee, Spikes, TO. Jauron and Gregg Williams were supposed to take the D to the next level, then when the offense was patheic they brought in guys like Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, etc... now it's Taylor, McCoy and Rex Ryan. IMO this current team is no different than those teams of the past 15 years. You can name drop all you want, but until they actually do something, it's the same old story. I certainly hope this year is the year, but only time can tell.

I'll say one thing, Russ Brandon has done a great job of keeping the fans interested. They haven't been to the playoffs in eons, but that stadium is packed every weekend.

I'm certainly not going to lay out all of my deep seated emotions regarding the Bills for you. I can tell you that what someone on ESPN says has literally no bearing.

I didn't ask YOU to. I asked the people that challenged me. So you disregard ESPN...great. Other posters brought ESPN into the picture, I am talking about the media in general.

No one has provided a reason why they enjoy a particular sports team's victories. They just say "I like it because me and my friends can enjoy it".

Look deep inside, and ask yourself what is gratifying about your sports team winning. It's not your own accomplishment, you don't really know the participants...so what is it?

Edited by HoF Watkins

So you disregard ESPN...great. Other posters brought ESPN into the picture, I am talking about the media in general.

No one has provided a reason why they enjoy a particular sports team's victories. They just say "I like it because me and my friends can enjoy it".

Look deep inside, and ask yourself what is gratifying about your sports team winning. It's not your own accomplishment, you don't really know the participants...so what is it?

Give it a rest, troll

Just like in 2002 when they started 5-3... no wait, I mean 2003 after they pounded the Patriots 31-0 on opening day and made the cover of SI. No... actually, this is more like 2005 in JP Losman's first career start he beat the favored Texans 22-7. Nah... this is just like 2008 when Trent Edwards (they finally found a QB!) led them to a 5-1 start out of the gate. Or is this more like 2001 when Fitz led us to a 5-1 start?

In all fairness the national media wasn't saying we were relevant again in those years, we wanted to believe so and questioned the ever so negative national media or even lack of media attention. 5-1 start and this board was exploding because we we're only ranked 14th in the ESPN power rankings... etc... etc...

Give it a rest, troll

You didn't have to get involved. Greggy challenged me, so I laid out my thoughts. I'm not trolling, and what I posted is absolutely true. I don't think it's sad, or bad, you guys do!

The thread was started because people want attention for the Bills from the media. What's the problem?

Edited by HoF Watkins

You didn't have to get involved. Greggy challenged me, so I laid out my thoughts. I'm not trolling, and what I posted is absolutely true. I don't think it's sad, or bad, you guys do!

The thread was started because people want attention for the Bills from the media. What's the problem?

Thanks for letting me know when I can join an open thread, trolly.

You started your classic troll behavior in post #34 and people called you out.

I'm glad the press is giving us some positive coverage for once. We all see it. This team is different. However, until we string together some wins the public's perception isn't going to change. I do however feel like analysts are just waiting for someone to knock the cheatriots off their pedestal. Who better to do it than the Bills? Don't be fooled, this game is as much psychological as it is physical. Players gain confidence when their fans show up and press coverage is positive. So stop whining and support your team.

I didn't ask YOU to. I asked the people that challenged me. So you disregard ESPN...great. Other posters brought ESPN into the picture, I am talking about the media in general.

Have you ever competed in organized sports? Have you ever watched your kids, nieces, nephews...etc compete in organized sports? If so, have you experienced winning any of these activities? It's a very similar feeling watching the Bills play and win. if you can't understand any of this, why are you on a message board that talks sports?

Have you ever competed in organized sports? Have you ever watched your kids, nieces, nephews...etc compete in organized sports? If so, have you experienced winning any of these activities? It's a very similar feeling watching the Bills play and win. if you can't understand any of this, why are you on a message board that talks sports?

Again, you don't know these people personally.

They represent the city, and people want recognition for the city. The media provides the recognition. People that say they don't care what the media says, are like the guy that doesn't want to admit he likes a particular woman, because he is worrying about being rejected.

Attention from the media is the only way to get recognition of a team's accomplishments.

Edited by HoF Watkins

They represent the city, and people want recognition for the city. The media provides the recognition. People that say they don't care what the media says are like the guy that doesn't want to admit he likes a particular woman, because he is worrying about being rejected.

The attention from the media is the only way to get recognition of the team's accomplishments.

Why do I have to know any of them personally to enjoy watching football and fell good when the Bills win? What is your point in all of this?

Have you noticed how much national attention the Bills are getting? ESPN, PTI, Around The Horn, Mike & Mike, First Take? Rex's midweek pressers on live TV? SportsCenter @ RWS? This Sunday's game is being treated like the game of the early season. It's Rex. It's Tyrod. It's the defense. How great is this?

Yeah, for one week. Let's see if they can keep it up...

I didn't ask you to "lay out all of my deep seated emotions regarding the Bills", I asked other posters. So why are you berating me for something I didn't ask you to do?

Why do I have to know any of them personally to enjoy watching football and fell good when the Bills win? What is your point in all of this?

Did you even read the thread? Greggy challenged my assertion and told me I was ridiculous, another called me sad, so I responded with more in depth reasoning. Then a bunch of other posters jumped in.

Edited by HoF Watkins

First of all, thinking for yourself is never thinking small. Right off the bat you're being foolish and trolling for no reason by calling me out like that.

I've been a Bills fan for a long time now, media coverage of the team has NEVER been a factor in how much enjoyment I get out of watching the Bills play -- win or lose -- and it never will be. So for you to say that's the only way I can get satisfaction from rooting on my team, I say you don't know anything about me so how could you possibly judge? I can understand how some fans can gain MORE satisfaction if their team is the national media darling, it's nice to have some positive reinforcement. But it's not the end-all-be-all of being a sports fan.

Your contention is that my satisfaction is only real if it's verified by outside sources. That's the definition of someone with no self confidence and no sense of their own worth. You're 100% wrong on this and it's hilarious that you're digging your heels in. Thinking that way is not just stupid (and it is, very, very VERY stupid), it's short sighted. Why bother being a fan of a team at all then? Why not just be a fan of whoever is the national media's darling of the moment?

....Oh right, I forgot. You are a P*ts fan so you already follow that formula. :rolleyes:

Your bolded section is wrong. I provided plenty of reasons. You choose to ignore them, that doesn't mean none were provided.

I know a few Bills players, front office people, and coaches personally. Even if I didn't, I'm a fan of the team, not a fan of the team's media coverage. You've got it completely twisted. You're basically admitting that the only joy you get out of the Bills is when other people tell you it's okay to get joy from them. Do you see how limiting that mindset is?

Put it another way, do you have a movie, book, or TV show you like that everyone else hates? I know I do. Does the fact that most people think that movie, book, or TV show (whatever it is) is terrible make you less of a fan of that movie? Of course not. The joy people get out of their passions and hobbies are SUBJECTIVE.

It's not sad because that kind of neediness, the desire to be loved by talking heads, is entirely what I would expect from you based on your posting history. It's just funny that you are so adamant that favorable media coverage the end-all-be-all of sports fandom. :lol: It's laughable.

They represent the city, and people want recognition for the city. The media provides the recognition. People that say they don't care what the media says, are like the guy that doesn't want to admit he likes a particular woman, because he is worrying about being rejected.

Attention from the media is the only way to get recognition of a team's accomplishments.

Again, you're making broad assumptions about people you don't know. I don't even live in Buffalo and I'm a Bills fan. I don't care about recognition for the City of Buffalo -- I care about the Bills.

I didn't ask you to "lay out all of my deep seated emotions regarding the Bills", I asked other posters. So why are you berating me for something I didn't ask you to do?

Did you even read the thread? Greggy challenged my assertion and told me I was ridiculous, another called me sad, so I responded with more in depth reasoning. Then a bunch of other posters jumped in.

I did challenge it, because it's so unbelievable short sighted I assumed you were being sarcastic or trolling. Now that I know you're serious, it's just sad.

I don't like it. I feel like we've been fooled like this before. :(

PTSD sucks.

This is different. Better coaches. Better players. A real QB. Tyrod is the real deal and the offense as a whole did well considering this is a brand new system. I'm very optimistic even if we do lose. It will be a close game. Can't sit on the lead like we did last week.

First of all you did ask me.

Second, you think your going to come on this board, full of passionate bills fans, as say we only care about them for the media attention? Your obviously just trolling for reactions.

I guess you guys have your own outlook, but threads about wanting attention from the media, feeling disrespected by the media, or wanting to be considered "relevant" are constant topics on this board. I know the reason why, and accept it.

It's nice to get attention but it's certainly not the only reason for fandom

Definitely have noticed. Now only if the NFL hadn't been a bunch of boneheads and put this game or last week's game in primetime, we could really show the country how the Ralph is rocking. Oh well.

A lot of the attention I think is because Rex is here. He is a media darling.