Bills Release Bryce Brown

26CornerBlitz

I did predict in a thread halfway through camp that if they really wanted Thigpen on this roster it would be at the expense of the 4th running back rather than a receiver. You have McCoy and Williams who look capable of carrying a heavy load, Dixon as spot duty and short distance back and then Thigpen and / or Harvin who could go back there if you ended up down guys during a gameday situation. Who was bringing more benefit - a 4th RB or Thigpen?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some 1st rounders turn all-pro and some are third stringers.

It's funny that your feeble attempt to goad me actually reinforces my point in this thread -- that Whaley won't push "his guys" over players who have earned spots on the starting (or overall) roster.

So thanks for that.

Marcus Thigpen Scouting Report Position: RB Conference: Big10 School: Indiana Hoosiers Year/Status: Declared Jersey Number: #2 Height & Weight: 5'9 - 193 lbs.

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Marcus Thigpen, RB, Indiana

Marcus Thigpen, who is also a sprinter for the Hoosier track team, isn't one of the elite backs in the country. He is however, always a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Thigpen averaged 6.7 yards per carry this season, even though he only averaged just under 8 carries a game. He also averaged 18.1 yards per reception and 22.4 yards per kick return, further illustrating his game breaking speed. Thigpen played running back in high school and was moved to wide receiver for his freshman season, after redshirting in 2004. He was moved back to running back during the spring of 2006, and has been Indiana's starter ever since. His experience at receiver has made him a valuable asset in the Hoosier passing attack. He serves as the safety valve for quarterback Kellen Lewis, and has taken several of those check down passes for huge gains. Thigpen has recorded 1621 yards rushing for his career, and scored 9 touchdowns on the ground. He has also caught 84 passes for 1028 yards and scored 9 touchdowns through the air. At 5'9" and only 193 pounds, Thigpen isn't big enough to be an every down back at the next level. However, his big play ability gives him a good chance of making a team as a return man and a third or fourth option in the backfield. Thigpen has averaged over 20 yards per return each of his four seasons, including a national best 30.1 average during the 2006 season. His 3 kick return touchdowns also led the nation in 2006. Thigpen is a late round prospect who should expect to hear his name between the late fifth and late sixth rounds. Marcus Thigpen's Pro Day workout may have shot him into the mid fifth round range for a team looking for a return man. He ran a 4.47 second 40 yard dash, had a 35 inch vertical leap, and broad jumped 10 feet 6 inches.

http://fftoolbox.scout.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1696

Whaley haters: expect 100% decision-making which is totally unrealisitic or just trollin'

The rest: realize a good GM is probably right about 60-70% of the time, and that we have a good young GM who is building a hell of a roster.

Id say he's built one, QB verdict pending. There aren't too many starters on the team who wouldn't start on just about any other team, except at QB maybe OT.

BB was dead man walking in the pre-season. when he fumbled again in practice and in a pre-season game even though he recovered was it. I don't know about you guys, but if your in a hiring position, you do your best but sometimes you miss. whaley missed.

He also hit with Buddy in Hughes and so on. Preston Brown, Kiko Alonso, Nigel Bradham, possibly Karlos Williams. If you hit more than you miss, your doing well.

It's too bad we couldn't have traded for a 6th round pick to a team like Dallas or Cleveland.

It's funny that your feeble attempt to goad me actually reinforces my point in this thread -- that Whaley won't push "his guys" over players who have earned spots on the starting (or overall) roster.

So thanks for that.

A little bit of a goad, but really whether Whaley or anyone else. The best players have to play. Whether a 1st rounder or an UDFA, we as fans should ask the coach to ignore draft positions and win. Period.

BB was dead man walking in the pre-season. when he fumbled again in practice and in a pre-season game even though he recovered was it. I don't know about you guys, but if your in a hiring position, you do your best but sometimes you miss. whaley missed.

He also hit with Buddy in Hughes and so on. Preston Brown, Kiko Alonso, Nigel Bradham, possibly Karlos Williams. If you hit more than you miss, your doing well.

It's too bad we couldn't have traded for a 6th round pick to a team like Dallas or Cleveland.

I expect he stuck on the roster as long as he did because they tried to shop him and lacked takers. Hard to shop a guy who isn't dressing and it looks like you might Turk.

It also wouldn't shock me if we're waiting for McRib to heal up so we can shop him, too

Marcus Thigpen Scouting Report Position: RB Conference: Big10 School: Indiana Hoosiers Year/Status: Declared Jersey Number: #2 Height & Weight: 5'9 - 193 lbs.

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Marcus Thigpen, RB, Indiana

Marcus Thigpen, who is also a sprinter for the Hoosier track team, isn't one of the elite backs in the country. He is however, always a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Thigpen averaged 6.7 yards per carry this season, even though he only averaged just under 8 carries a game. He also averaged 18.1 yards per reception and 22.4 yards per kick return, further illustrating his game breaking speed. Thigpen played running back in high school and was moved to wide receiver for his freshman season, after redshirting in 2004. He was moved back to running back during the spring of 2006, and has been Indiana's starter ever since. His experience at receiver has made him a valuable asset in the Hoosier passing attack. He serves as the safety valve for quarterback Kellen Lewis, and has taken several of those check down passes for huge gains. Thigpen has recorded 1621 yards rushing for his career, and scored 9 touchdowns on the ground. He has also caught 84 passes for 1028 yards and scored 9 touchdowns through the air. At 5'9" and only 193 pounds, Thigpen isn't big enough to be an every down back at the next level. However, his big play ability gives him a good chance of making a team as a return man and a third or fourth option in the backfield. Thigpen has averaged over 20 yards per return each of his four seasons, including a national best 30.1 average during the 2006 season. His 3 kick return touchdowns also led the nation in 2006. Thigpen is a late round prospect who should expect to hear his name between the late fifth and late sixth rounds. Marcus Thigpen's Pro Day workout may have shot him into the mid fifth round range for a team looking for a return man. He ran a 4.47 second 40 yard dash, had a 35 inch vertical leap, and broad jumped 10 feet 6 inches.

http://fftoolbox.scout.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1696

I hadn't realized his full story, but there's something a little bit Freddy-esque about Thigpen's story with a dash of Graham lite. Saskatchewan Rough Riders and Hamilton Tiger Cats.

I did predict in a thread halfway through camp that if they really wanted Thigpen on this roster it would be at the expense of the 4th running back rather than a receiver. You have McCoy and Williams who look capable of carrying a heavy load, Dixon as spot duty and short distance back and then Thigpen and / or Harvin who could go back there if you ended up down guys during a gameday situation. Who was bringing more benefit - a 4th RB or Thigpen?

Thigpen dresses on game day.

Edited by Hopeful

@gregauman: No waiver claims for Bucs today. Former Bills RB Bryce Brown cleared waivers and is now a free agent ...

not surprised by this at all, but think he could be signed by a few teams in the next week or two depending on injury.

methinks there may also be an issue regarding something off the field, something hush-hush. The guy has a lot of talent.

All I know is I am glad Thigpen is on the roster

- I thought the colts got way to close on a fair catch.....actually touching him which I thought was not allowed....I thought you had to give a certain amount of space. To Thigpen's credit he made the catch.......

- Got nailed on a return with a hit that someone else might have fumbled

Thigpen is a VERY good ST's returner

not surprised by this at all, but think he could be signed by a few teams in the next week or two depending on injury.

methinks there may also be an issue regarding something off the field, something hush-hush. The guy has a lot of talent.

hes essentially a league minimum deal, for 1 year. i know he has the fumble rep, but its surprising no one bit. apparently there was literally no trade value.

it looks like itll take an injury for him to sign somewhere now.

hes essentially a league minimum deal, for 1 year. i know he has the fumble rep, but its surprising no one bit. apparently there was literally no trade value.

it looks like itll take an injury for him to sign somewhere now.

He did have a good game a few seasons ago. What's not to like?

He did have a good game a few seasons ago. What's not to like?

I mean, figuring teams are carrying between 3-4 backs that's 112 on rosters, roughly? At league minimum pay, with zero guaranteed dollars, I'm mildly surprised that he's not getting picked up even as depth insurance.

I mean, figuring teams are carrying between 3-4 backs that's 112 on rosters, roughly? At league minimum pay, with zero guaranteed dollars, I'm mildly surprised that he's not getting picked up even as depth insurance.

I agree. Once teams start hitting bye weeks I expect him to be brought in for workouts.

Someone will probably sign him if they get an injury at RB. Because rosters are set at this point and he doesn't have PS eligibility, a team would need to cut someone to sign him. I'd expect him to get picked up if an RB goes on IR somewhere.

This, or even he'll be picked up if a team loses a back to an injury they'll return from in a few weeks