Mariota looks like the real deal

The Dean

I didn't say what you think I said. I said people are being told to not get carried away over one good game by Tyrod. In fact that was pretty much the theme of the Bills post game show.

I don't see anyone (at least here) going overboard re: Mariota. I see virtually EVERYONE saying "It's just against Tampa Bay".

Truth is, they both played very well. And both have plenty to prove.

Winston is 26-2 as a starting QB

0-2 vs Mariota

26-0 against everybody else

What about his high school records? Don't they count, too?

Winston is 0-1 as an NFL QB and 0-1 against Mariota (though I'm not even sure why that's a thing, since they play on different sides of the ball).

I haven't been watching but if Lovie is playing a bunch of his trademark defense, every QB should destroy Tampa. He seems to be the only guy left in the world clinging to the Tampa-2.

Remember when a bunch of people around here were upset that the Bills didn't hire Lovie Smith? LOL. Thank Crom we dodged that bullet.

@PFF: Don't get too excited over Marcus Mariota's debut, says @PFF_Sam: http://t.co/M4kghvNUDA

Why can't I get excited? I'm excited about the Bills whipping the Colts. I'm beyond excited about that throw Tyrod made to Percy. I'm excited about Mariota. I'm excited about the Cowboys comeback against the Giants. I'm excited about the two games tonight. Football's back and the Bills don't suck! You know what I'm not too excited about? My 3:00 meeting with general council to discuss ADA compliance of vendor systems. If you can't get excited and irrational about sports, why watch them?

Why can't I get excited? I'm excited about the Bills whipping the Colts. I'm beyond excited about that throw Tyrod made to Percy. I'm excited about Mariota. I'm excited about the Cowboys comeback against the Giants. I'm excited about the two games tonight. Football's back and the Bills don't suck! You know what I'm not too excited about? My 3:00 meeting with general council to discuss ADA compliance of vendor systems. If you can't get excited and irrational about sports, why watch them?

PFF said it, not me. Lol

I know it's just the first game, and it's against Tampa Bay---but Mariota is just money. 8/11 156 yards and 3 TDs with time still left in the 1st half. Can't believe he wasn't the first pick in the draft.

Just proves no one has nailed to formula and dependencies for good QB selection.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I know it's just the first game, and it's against Tampa Bay---but Mariota is just money. 8/11 156 yards and 3 TDs with time still left in the 1st half. Can't believe he wasn't the first pick in the draft.

I don't pretend to know all that much, but I have never had any doubt that he'd end up a better player than Winston. Of course, it's way too soon to tell, but I'm a big fan of Mariota's potential. Heck, I thought he played great in the national championship game until it got out of hand. At one point, he should have been 20-24 for 250-260 yards if not for bad drops by his receivers.

He looked good but Tampa's defense isn't very good. Rookie QB's real test always comes when team get 5-6 games of film on them and make adjustments. It will be interesting to see how good he looks come the end of the season. Either way he is playing much better out the gate than most thought.

He looked good but Tampa's defense isn't very good. Rookie QB's real test always comes when team get 5-6 games of film on them and make adjustments. It will be interesting to see how good he looks come the end of the season. Either way he is playing much better out the gate than most thought.

Good analysis. Spot on.

Very true but Tennessee's offense was pretty bad last year with Mariota being the only real notable difference this year. But I agree, we won't know for sure until he's played more this season.

Edited by Talley56