Spygate to Deflategate-inside what split NE and NFL apart

YoloinOhio

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part in the article that points out that the current patriots*** organization (specifically the coach and Ernie Adams) believes they are above the rules (rather, they believe they should explore every loophole and even commit acts which are outside the spirit or common interpretation of rules if it allows them to gain competitive advantage) really reminds me of two things: the fact that the patriots employed tactics to purposefully miscommunicate eligible receivers until the last possible moment (in the Game vs the Ravens) as a 'loophole' technique that any sensible person would interpret as cheating AND the game years ago where the patriots managed to strip the Bills player near the end of the game (Shawn Nelson or was it Everett before his injury?) by lifting the player UP off the ground and not allowing him to make contact with the ground until he'd been stripped of the ball. I get that players are trained to try and do everything to strip the ball, but I really remember that game as being a horrific ending b/c I couldn't understand how the refs never blew the whistle due to the stoppage of the forward progress..... The patriots really have the team trained thoroughly on how to bend the rules. I think that is what is so terrible. Tom Terriffic and many of his team mates probably don't even view anything as cheating (his quote after the Ravens game actually gives the message that he's PROUD of the fact that he managed to bend the rules and he stated the Ravens should probably have dug into the rule book too) sine they've been in their coach's system so long.

The part in the article that points out that the current patriots*** organization (specifically the coach and Ernie Adams) believes they are above the rules (rather, they believe they should explore every loophole and even commit acts which are outside the spirit or common interpretation of rules if it allows them to gain competitive advantage) really reminds me of two things: the fact that the patriots employed tactics to purposefully miscommunicate eligible receivers until the last possible moment (in the Game vs the Ravens) as a 'loophole' technique that any sensible person would interpret as cheating AND the game years ago where the patriots managed to strip the Bills player near the end of the game (Shawn Nelson or was it Everett before his injury?) by lifting the player UP off the ground and not allowing him to make contact with the ground until he'd been stripped of the ball. I get that players are trained to try and do everything to strip the ball, but I really remember that game as being a horrific ending b/c I couldn't understand how the refs never blew the whistle due to the stoppage of the forward progress..... The patriots really have the team trained thoroughly on how to bend the rules. I think that is what is so terrible. Tom Terriffic and many of his team mates probably don't even view anything as cheating (his quote after the Ravens game actually gives the message that he's PROUD of the fact that he managed to bend the rules and he stated the Ravens should probably have dug into the rule book too) sine they've been in their coach's system so long.

tup;dr

They're just !@#$s.

Agree entirely here. Well said.

I question the integrity of anyone that can defend that organization. And the more they go looking for loopholes to suggest that the cheating wasn't "technically" against the rules, the more I question it. I bet there is no specific rule that says you can't disguise yourself as NFL FILMS employees or a stated rule that says you can't pilfer play sheets left in the opponents lockerroom.

It's disgusting and I hope the other owners, some of whom I know have been pissed for YEARS, make an example of Goodell, fire him, and appoint a new sheriff. One with broadranging power to punish organizations and trust the public with the fallout that may ensue.

GO BILLS!!!

I just don't get how people can read articles like the ESPN one, and not question their Patriots loyalty. There's got to be some people saying "wait a second, this isn't right". Instead they've cultivated this "us against the world" mentality based on everyone else's jealousy and envy.

If anybody has been to a Pats game in Buffalo, you have seen how cocky and arrogant the Pats fans are. They expect victory and they are extremely confident trash-talkers. Their team gives them a sense of pride and confidence. It must be a hell of a contradiction as history will slowly look down on them.

I'm pretty mad as a fan. Especially since it pointed out that "efforts" were concentrated against Buffalo, Miami, and the Jets.

I really think we need a class action suit against the NFL based on all this crap and the fact that they didn't do anything about it. I spent a lot of money and time following this team and being stuck with these cheaters has diminished my returns as a fan... for like 15 years.

The media should really hold "good guy" Kraft to the fire on this. The guy who pretended to be "appalled" by the limited info that originally came out about this. Based on that, he should take a stand for fair play and make some changes, apologize to fans, no?

Goodell should also be sent off a plank for what he did. The Martz story was deplorable.

I just don't get how people can read articles like the ESPN one, and not question their Patriots loyalty. There's got to be some people saying "wait a second, this isn't right". Instead they've cultivated this "us against the world" mentality based on everyone else's jealousy and envy.

I actually know one. He is still a fan, but if you press him on the cheating... since deflategate and specifically the Wells report, he admits there is no defending them anymore.

Sure seems like that's true...and if that is indeed the case, then it appears that the NFL is both (a) attempting damage control, and (b) setting up Goodell's ouster, since this makes him look really, really bad.

Definitely (a), while (b) remains to be seen. But I just can't imagine how Goodell forges on after the last two years of non-stop debacles.

So what?

Is the content of the articles lessened because of it? "The NFL" is more than just who inhabits the league offices in NY. The articles certainly don't paint Goodell and the league in a favorable light; quite the opposite if you ask me.

This is about a group of pissed off owners more than anything.

GO BILLS!!!

No no no. Sorry. It's context. It's a reveal for how they're planning to continue conducting business. See above.

You mean in a way similar to the Wells commissioned report, drawing upon a specific league imposed narrative, and drawing a "more probable than not" conclusion?

The one that highlighted the following story?

A guy that calls himself "The Deflator", took footballs AFTER they were measured by the officials, hid in a camera-free bathroom claiming that he needed to use a urinal that didn't exist, stayed there long enough to remove a significant amount of air from them, and then returned them to the field. Those footballs were then found to be deflated more than any scientific model can predict, unless an absolutely perfect set of conditions exist that couldn't be replicated in any laboratory, and further those footballs were deflated far more than the other team's footballs, to a degree that no scientific model can re-create those conditions. Text messages between the suspected parties strongly indicated that these activities took place at the QB's behest; the QB who conveniently destroyed his cell phone on the very day he was to speak with investigators, because he does it every time he gets a new phone, except for the last 2 times he got a new phone (please note, at this juncture, that none of the above are in dispute).

Yes, that report.

Thanks for playing.

Your team cheats...all the time...always have...be honest and own it.

Edited by thebandit27

None of this should surprise even a casual fan of the NFL.

The Patriots are serial cheaters, and everyone knows it.

I will never respect them, their owner, their QB, or any of their tainted victories.

Ever.

Well said. Sadly, I also think Goodell belongs in the same cesspool. I have no respect for any of them.

Wonder what Judge Berman was doing partying with Robert Kraft in the Hampton's over the weekend. Not saying the judge was, what's the word, bias, but probably not the best form nevertheless.

I hate the pats as much as anyone but that is way overblown and a total non factor. They were at a party with hundreds of guests in the Hamptons and had to be introduced to each other.

It was Shawn Nelson, but it wasn't the Pats. It was the Ravens, and it was in OT.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201010240rav.htm

I know everyone hates the Pats here, but come on!