Spygate to Deflategate-inside what split NE and NFL apart

YoloinOhio

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Fantastic article. Very deep work on Patriots line-stepping.

Interviews by ESPN The Magazine and Outside the Lines with more than 90 league officials, owners, team executives and coaches, current and former Patriots coaches, staffers and players, and reviews of previously undisclosed private notes from key meetings, show that Spygate is the centerpiece of a long, secret history between Goodell's NFL, which declined comment for this story, and Kraft's Patriots. The diametrically opposed way the inquiries were managed by Goodell -- and, more importantly, perceived by his bosses -- reveals much about how and why NFL punishment is often dispensed. The widespread perception that Goodell gave the Patriots a break on Spygate, followed by the NFL's stonewalling of a potential congressional investigation into the matter, shaped owners' expectations of what needed to be done by 345 Park Ave. on Deflate-gate.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, this line hurt.

"Looking back on it, several former Patriots coaches insist that spying helped them most against less sophisticated teams -- the Dolphins and Bills chief among them -- whose coaches didn't bother changing their signals. "

None of this should surprise even a casual fan of the NFL.

The Patriots are serial cheaters, and everyone knows it.

I will never respect them, their owner, their QB, or any of their tainted victories.

Ever.

I'm not sure how any objective minded football fan wouldn't come to the same conclusion easily.

The one thing I find the most ridiculous in this article, and when this was all going on, is how everyone in the Pats organization insisted that the taping had little if any effect on any games and that it provided very little advantage. Seems like no one asked the most obvious question in response, if it was so useless then why spend resources on it for 6+ years?

None of this should surprise even a casual fan of the NFL.

The Patriots are serial cheaters, and everyone knows it.

I will never respect them, their owner, their QB, or any of their tainted victories.

Ever.

though not a surprise, it makes me very angry. What a farce.

I'm not sure how any objective minded football fan wouldn't come to the same conclusion easily.

The one thing I find the most ridiculous in this article, and when this was all going on, is how everyone in the Pats organization insisted that the taping had little if any effect on any games and that it provided very little advantage. Seems like no one asked the most obvious question in response, if it was so useless then why spend resources on it for 6+ years?

Absolutely. Not to mention the ridiculous lengths they went to in order to achieve the results. Disguising themselves as NFL FILMS personnel? Really?

So much to be proud of in that organization.

GO BILLS!!!

I always suspected the Pats of having a sophisticated PEDs program - I remember in the early 2000s they drafted a couple of good but undersized LBs and between the draft and opening day they had each put on around 25lbs of vein popping muscle.

I'd guarantee every team has some kind of PED violation issue. Also pretty sure that the penalty would be much stiffer if the NFL cared about it.

This story is amazing. Even if half of it is true it's pretty damning.

Goodell should have banned Belicheat then. He really botched this

I said this before. The first response was "protect the sheild!" So it was swept under the rug. So the Pats** figured no matter what they did going forward, the NFL had to cover for them. It was like blackmail.

I said this before. The first response was "protect the sheild!" So it was swept under the rug. So the Pats** figured no matter what they did going forward, the NFL had to cover for them. It was like blackmail.

It's how the NFL had always treated these issues.

This is a great article.

Can't wait for the defenders of this organization to come out of the woodwork.

Legacy indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't worry, they're coming. They'll use the same old tropes of "well, how do we know that they were the only team doing it!" and "Just shows how committed they are to winning!"

If all of this is true. And IF the Patriots are alone in their culpability, if no other team pulls shenanigans like these, Bellichick should get the Pete Rose treatment: a lifetime ban, blackballed from the HOF, all of his records and wins erased and all of this Super Bowl trophies negated.

Yes, the NFL would have to admit that a quarter of the this century's Super Bowl victories were a sham.

But that admission defeat would be their only prayer for victory/vindication at this point, IMO.