Spygate to Deflategate-inside what split NE and NFL apart

YoloinOhio

NFL=FIFA.

at the expense of wishing death on Ralph when he did die, had the guy lived another 5 years, the Bills would be devalued enough where Jon Bon Jovi would have been able to afford the devalued Bills.

I fear that my teams league is soon to be history, or at least changed forever.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL=FIFA.

at the expense of wishing death on Ralph when he did die, had the guy lived another 5 years, the Bills would be devalued enough where Jon Bon Jovi would have been able to afford the devalued Bills.

I fear that my teams league is soon to be history, or at least changed forever.

The NFL has been undergoing a fundamental transformation for the last 6-7 years now if not longer. When players safety and concussions became real issues in the public eye football has had to start the slow process of changing.

Goodell represents an old guard among Major Sports leagues. Much like David Stern, Bud Selig, and Gary Bettman, Goodell runs the sports league in a more conservative old school manner. The less transparency the better, much more reactive than proactive, and very interested in keep the status quo. That management style was very effective before mass consumption of the internet happened. Now that everyone has cameras, can leak info to news sites, and can digitally distribute and capture correspondence you aren't going to be able to run a league in that old guard way. Your dealings are most likely going to leak, every move will be scrutinized more so than even in the 80's or 90's.

Look at how much better Adam Silver and Rob Manfred have done upon bringing a more modern approach and the success they have shown early in their tenures is showing just how outdated the old guards approach was, even Bettman has shown some signs of modernizing (Although he is still very incompetent if you ask me). But Goodell has stuck to that old way of thinking. He looks like an incompetent boob going from one bad cover your ass decision to another.

Since day one Goodell has tried to sweep things under the rug when the targets were harder to after or in with the league and then postured a tough guy image by going after easy targets like Pac Man Jones. He hasn't made any real long term investment in the league other than trying to bully cities for stadiums, he hasn't tried to grow the game internationally in any meaningful way. Even basic competition rules only go through modest changes. And forget trying to be proactive in dealing with the player discipline issue.

Most of the comments at the end of the articles consist of people saying it's just jealousy. Even people who say they aren't NE fans are saying that it doesn't really matter. I am shocked that so few people think this gave them a competitive edge.

I noticed that right after Deflategate came out. Reddit (which is a textbook example of groupthink) upvoted all the "it doesn't matter, it didn't give them an advantage" posts and downvoted all the other ones.

The truth is there are very few grassroots campaigns that bring change. Whatever the media chooses to bring down, gets brought down. This is a cute little piece that ESPN released, really wordy and won't be read by most fans. But they've been just as likely to defend Brady as condemn him.

When every headline in America starts screaming for Kraft, Brady, and Belichick's head, then we'll see some changes. Until then, everybody is just going to shrug and move on.

To give a better example, right in the article it said that Spector had connections to Comcast who just so happened to be negotiating TV rights with the NFL. He claims it had nothing to do with it. Yeah, OK, never heard that one before. That's the kind of movement we need to bring down the evil empire.

But until then, why would CBS, NBC, and FOX call for the fall of the Patriots if they're making billions in advertising with the TV deal and the NFL tells them to look the other way?

Edited by musichunch

This just confirmed all that anyone with half a brain and no bias saw. You don't destroy evidence if there is nothing suspicious going on. Also it was clear the Goodell Craft connection played a key role in the sweeping it under the rug nature of the Spygate punishment and investigation process. The Pats* built a dynasty off a great defense and an offense with a late game edge based off of cheating. The notion of the Pats* bugging locker rooms and stealing things from opponents locker rooms and even hotel rooms along with jamming headsets all give off a stench that goes far beyond illegal angles of cameras. The Pats* are a sham always have been always will be. Their coach is a Nixonian sociopath and their fan base is in far too deep to realize and admit it.

And yet an incredible number of media people act like this is all nothing. "The Patriots are so good they don't need to cheat" or "whatever advantage there was didn't matter." But in their next breath they tell us a game can turn on a single play,but cheating doesn't matter. :blink: Even WGR is more focused on the timing of the story than the content.

The NFL has been undergoing a fundamental transformation for the last 6-7 years now if not longer. When players safety and concussions became real issues in the public eye football has had to start the slow process of changing.

Goodell represents an old guard among Major Sports leagues. Much like David Stern, Bud Selig, and Gary Bettman, Goodell runs the sports league in a more conservative old school manner. The less transparency the better, much more reactive than proactive, and very interested in keep the status quo. That management style was very effective before mass consumption of the internet happened. Now that everyone has cameras, can leak info to news sites, and can digitally distribute and capture correspondence you aren't going to be able to run a league in that old guard way. Your dealings are most likely going to leak, every move will be scrutinized more so than even in the 80's or 90's.

Look at how much better Adam Silver and Rob Manfred have done upon bringing a more modern approach and the success they have shown early in their tenures is showing just how outdated the old guards approach was, even Bettman has shown some signs of modernizing (Although he is still very incompetent if you ask me). But Goodell has stuck to that old way of thinking. He looks like an incompetent boob going from one bad cover your ass decision to another.

Since day one Goodell has tried to sweep things under the rug when the targets were harder to after or in with the league and then postured a tough guy image by going after easy targets like Pac Man Jones. He hasn't made any real long term investment in the league other than trying to bully cities for stadiums, he hasn't tried to grow the game internationally in any meaningful way. Even basic competition rules only go through modest changes. And forget trying to be proactive in dealing with the player discipline issue.

Excellent analysis. Although Bettman is forever tarnished with no goal.

I posted this a few weeks ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179494-brady-4-game-suspension-upheld;-will-go-to-court/page-114?do=findComment&comment=3637017

And I assure you that the end of the Patriots "cheating" is upon us.

Change is coming. Roger's final days draw near, and a young senator with a las vegas bug in his ear looking to make a name for himself might want to open a full investigation into the league's handling of the Patriots, and begin the (as of now) taboo discussion of vacating titles for professional sports teams. Owners know that the fans are becoming restless. Simple metrics can be run on the top 5 message board for each team for keywords like "sham" "wwe" "fraud", etc. etc. The league knows which way the wind blows, and it's clear as day: 31/32 fanbases are mad as hell at the Patriots, and think the league is a farce. There is way, way... way too much money involved in this for you to think that the messages we're being fed aren't designed to shape our perceptions.

I have seen some on here mention comment sections, as if "the people aren't getting it". Please. Profootballtalk is an arm of whom? NBC Sports, which also owns the rights to Sunday Night Football, which is how big of an account? Billions, if I recall? I wonder if they might have a few "account managers" deciding which comments get the top few spots. Everyone is in absolute damage control in the league marketing division right now, and people are getting testy.

Then he's either lying or incompetent.

That's my favorite statement that I often want to say to people such as bosses, politicians, my kids, etc.

Except I put it, "You're either lying or an idiot."

Applies perfectly to Goodell, and I think many people are starting to realize it.

That's my favorite statement that I often want to say to people such as bosses, politicians, my kids, etc.

Except I put it, "You're either lying or an idiot."

Applies perfectly to Goodell, and I think many people are starting to realize it.

Classic Carolla:

Stupid or Liar.

None of this should surprise even a casual fan of the NFL.

The Patriots are serial cheaters, and everyone knows it.

I will never respect them, their owner, their QB, or any of their tainted victories.

Ever.

Absolutely 100% agree with this! And people worry about some individual using steroids. All those close games in the playoffs they won......jeez

I posted this a few weeks ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179494-brady-4-game-suspension-upheld;-will-go-to-court/page-114?do=findComment&comment=3637017

And I assure you that the end of the Patriots "cheating" is upon us.

Change is coming. Roger's final days draw near, and a young senator with a las vegas bug in his ear looking to make a name for himself might want to open a full investigation into the league's handling of the Patriots, and begin the (as of now) taboo discussion of vacating titles for professional sports teams. Owners know that the fans are becoming restless. Simple metrics can be run on the top 5 message board for each team for keywords like "sham" "wwe" "fraud", etc. etc. The league knows which way the wind blows, and it's clear as day: 31/32 fanbases are mad as hell at the Patriots, and think the league is a farce. There is way, way... way too much money involved in this for you to think that the messages we're being fed aren't designed to shape our perceptions.

I have seen some on here mention comment sections, as if "the people aren't getting it". Please. Profootballtalk is an arm of whom? NBC Sports, which also owns the rights to Sunday Night Football, which is how big of an account? Billions, if I recall? I wonder if they might have a few "account managers" deciding which comments get the top few spots. Everyone is in absolute damage control in the league marketing division right now, and people are getting testy.

Somewhat related re PFT:

For reasons I can only guess, PFT actively has removed comments that I have made about deflategate and PFT's coverage of deflategate. This was brought up a few weeks back in another thread, and apparently these deletions are in no way unique to me.

In this regard, my comments have not crossed the line in terms of language. For example, just today, PFT removed the following comment: "It is odd that PFT would complain about ESPN not including parts of the Pats' statement when: PFT actively deletes comments that take issue with the Pats or PFT's reporting."

I found it very odd that Florio or the guy that works for him would give two you know whats about what I post. Draw your own conclusions.

On the other hand, there appears to be an army of Pats' apologists that comment on that site. Additionally, PFT seems to draw every inference in favor of the Pats and Brady whenever there has been news about deflategate over the past few months. Maybe that will change now that ESPN and SI have written extensive pieces just today about the Pats and the "Patriot Way."

Somewhat related re PFT:

For reasons I can only guess, PFT actively has removed comments that I have made about deflategate and PFT's coverage of deflategate. This was brought up a few weeks back in another thread, and apparently these deletions are in no way unique to me.

In this regard, my comments have not crossed the line in terms of language. For example, just today, PFT removed the following comment: "It is odd that PFT would complain about ESPN not including parts of the Pats' statement when: PFT actively deletes comments that take issue with the Pats or PFT's reporting."

I found it very odd that Florio or the guy that works for him would give two you know whats about what I post. Draw your own conclusions.

On the other hand, there appears to be an army of Pats' apologists that comment on that site. Additionally, PFT seems to draw every inference in favor of the Pats and Brady whenever there has been news about deflategate over the past few months. Maybe that will change now that ESPN and SI have written extensive pieces just today about the Pats and the "Patriot Way."

PFT/Florio have been making excuses for the Cheaters for years. I actually corresponded with Florio back in 2008 right after Spygate broke and he was making excuses for them back then.

I sound like a broken record. Krafty financed his own stadium, they will do anything to get gets in the stands. The NFL was all on board back in the day, even w/the Tuck Rule...

Why is this a shock. In 2004 or so, Krafty the Clown is on record in Forbes saying how he used to rip off the Sullivans by sneaking 6 people in on 4 season tickets.

His justification was it didn't matter... The team was losing.

That's all anybody needs to know about these people... They are theives and crooks and justify it anyway they can. It's what makes a lot in our society tick. Anyway you can game the system is fine... The ends justify the means...

And yet an incredible number of media people act like this is all nothing. "The Patriots are so good they don't need to cheat" or "whatever advantage there was didn't matter." But in their next breath they tell us a game can turn on a single play,but cheating doesn't matter. :blink: Even WGR is more focused on the timing of the story than the content.

I think a lot of people don't care and a lot of the rest just don't see justice happening. To be honest there really isn't any justice in this. They don't have the evidence or justification to strip the Pats* of their titles (Plausible deniability) and enough people are in denial or just don't care enough to demand more from the situation.

It gets me down a little bit to think such sociopath and way beyond gamesmanship like behavior to win isn't going to be punished or at least prevented in the future. But Karma is a B word and in the end it will eat away at you. The tarnished legacy will always be there if only in a vocal minority.

On one hand I'm furious. IF anyone has been the brunt of this garbage the most.... it's us. I'd also be really mad if I were manning or the colts.

I'm also frustrated that wilson, coaches, and Co kind of stood idly and allowed this to happen I'm our faces.

On the other hand, I knew all this was happening and just felt like we were stuck in an eternal stacked deck for the patriots. The way the league and kraft massaged the story and evidence really made being a fan hopeless. The league came at them hard this time though and I truly believe kraft has been put on notice.

Why is this ernie adams still allowed to work with the team though?

Edited by May Day 10