Is resigning TT possible if he plays well?

Mango

I know TT has an option to void his contract if he plays X (50%?) games. Given that we want to resign Gilmore, Dareus, and Bradham at the very least, plus maybe Glenn.

Can we afford to pay starter money to TT, with (hopefully) one year of productivity? What is his estimated worth at the end of the season based on his current production in PS? Also is it possible he is a "stop gap" and the staff sees something in EJ and we replaces his production with somebody on the roster next year?

I know it's way early to talk about this. Cary before the horse and all, just curious though. It's a valid thought when thinking about the future.

Perfect world he plays out of his mind, and we sign him long term and he continues to produce.

There's your answer.

Because speculation has no place on message boards. Say he commands 10-12 per year. Which isn't all that high. Is that an affordable resign! Assuming we resign the players above. Onviously of he plays out his mind we will lose a guy on that list. But say he plays like the 15th best QB in the league, what's the play?

My understanding was that it is a 3 year deal that can void to a 2 year deal so he's ours for at least 2 years regardless of how this year goes.

Edit; Yes, here is the void detail:

The most interesting piece of the contract, also tied to Taylor's playing time, is a voidable clause. If Taylor plays in over 50 percent of the Bills' plays in either 2015 or 2016, and remains on the roster five days following the 2016 Super Bowl, the third year of the contract voids. This clause would allow, if he received significant playing time in either 2015 or 2016, Taylor to become a free agent for 2017.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/3/18/8236345/tyrod-taylor-contract-details-buffalo-bills-qb-nfl-free-agency-2015

Edited by FutureBillsGM

I know TT has an option to void his contract if he plays X (50%?) games. Given that we want to resign Gilmore, Dareus, and Bradham at the very least, plus maybe Glenn.

Can we afford to pay starter money to TT, with (hopefully) one year of productivity? What is his estimated worth at the end of the season based on his current production in PS? Also is it possible he is a "stop gap" and the staff sees something in EJ and we replaces his production with somebody on the roster next year?

I know it's way early to talk about this. Cary before the horse and all, just curious though. It's a valid thought when thinking about the future.

Perfect world he plays out of his mind, and we sign him long term and he continues to produce.

yes, if he plays lights out you don't let good QBs go.

If TT is successful in Buffalo, I don't see him beating down the door to try and get out. The Bills gave him a chance to which I'm sure he's grateful, and sometimes scheme is most important when it comes to success.

Now, I don't expect for him to give the Bills a huge discount. But safe to say if he has something great going on in Buffalo he's not going to be looking to get out. He'll be looking to stay.

And with the Bills having gone so long without a quality QB, I can't imagine them letting one get away.

I think it's fair to assume that barring deep runs in the playoffs (assuming that he is playing very well) that his contract would come in somewhere in the ballpark of 2/3-3/4 of the Russell Wilson deal... That being said, there is some restructuring of Mario's deal that can be done. Unfortunately, Glenn, Gilmore, and Dareus are all big pieces to this team with no foreseeable replacement on the roster so re-signing those guys is a priority as well.

You also have to think about EJ.... Certainly he is going to want to start somewhere, so at the end of his deal, assuming TT is the starter, EJ's gone... I have to say, though.... I'm much more confident in this FO now than I was a few years ago.... It almost seems as though they have a plan....

I always like to put the cart before the horse. Let's see if he's a legit starting QB at the NFL level before we worry about him re-signing for the 2017 season. Is anyone at this moment worried about Sammy leaving after his rookie deal has expired? Take a deep breath and let things unfold.

Lets see if he wins games and looks good doing so.

I have one name to mention to warrant my comment of due caution and overreacting

Ryan Fitzpartick