Dareus Signs Six Year Extension with Bills

26CornerBlitz

I'm getting sick of Doug Whaley, he can field an all pro Roster all he wants but until he nails the 20 million dollar QB question, what good is it. All these "great" receivers? What good are they without someone to get them the ball? A top four D? Awesome, as long as we can get more than 3 field goals a game.

So sue me for being cynical, and flame me all ya want. Anything less than a SB is a failed season.

What QB should they have drafted? What QB was available through trade? What QB was available through Free Agency? I keep hearing folks say they have to nail the QB question but offering no insight as to how they should have gone about it. They drafted EJ. They signed Kolb. They signed Orton. They signed Simms. They signed Taylor. The Rams wanted a QB in return for Bradford, who is a beyond risky investment. No genuinely good QB w/out injury concerns is available for trade or get to Free Agency.

Seriously, please inform us what you would have done differently given the circumstances?

Dareus better understand that this extra money from his first $90m offer didn't appear out of nowhere. It is coming directly from Fred Jackson and Matt Cassel's pocket.

That's not Dareus' problem. He is worth what the market says he's worth. If a team can't afford all of their players that is on the organization. They have to make choices. Happens in every NFL city. I wasn't happy to see Fred go, but the busines of pro sports is the business. A young stud will always be the priority over an older player, in spite of past contribution or the ability to contribute to a positive level in the present. Taking the emotion out of it, or making a hard decision in spite of it, is what GM's do. All things being equal, Whaley did the right thing.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not Dareus' problem. He is worth what the market says he's worth. If a team can't afford all of their players that is on the organization. They have to make choices. Happens in every NFL city. I wasn't happy to see Fred go, but the busines of pro sports is the business. A young stud will always be the priority over an older player, in spite of past contribution or the ability to contribute to a positive level in the present. Taking the emotion out of it, or making a hard decision in spite of it, is what GM's do. All things being equal, Whaley did the right thing.

the thing about the market is, what would be his market value? there is no guarentee he would get Suh money from another team unless he tested the market. I think the chances of him getting suh money anywhere is pretty slim. If he gets anything bigger than JJ watt money (with the bills or anywhere else) I would be shocked.

the 90 million is close to what he is going to get. I haveto imagine the major sticking point is the guarenteed money

Russel Wilson just got paid after 2 straight Super Bowls. We have a little time.

Except Taylor has escalator clauses that kick in if he starts half the games. He could be making around $2M. Not big money but if you are trying to squeeze Dareus, Glenn and Bradham in, it can get tight. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Jettison Harvin and Wood this offseason. Maybe McK too.

Harvin is basically a guaranteed goner.

McKelvin, Wood, Kyle, and Lawson also have the writing on the wall IMO. Those guys alone save $22M in cap space if cut.

They can also save another $1.8 by cutting Urbik.

It's also worth mentioning that Gilmore's $11M cap figure should be reduced by an extension, as would Mario's $19.9M cap figure (I continue to expect that Mario gets a new contract as opposed to a restructuring). Between the two of them, you're looking at another $12M or so.

Those aren't all fun moves to make, but they are viable. The team has some young talent in the system to supplant guys like Harvin and Kyle (say, D. Thompson and Corbin Bryant, respectively); Darby is the clear heir-apparent to Leodis. They'll need to draft well along the interior of the OL to replace Wood and Urbik.

My concern continues to be at LB, unless guys like Tarpley, Steward, and Johnson develop in a hurry (and it didn't look promising to me in the preseason).

But that's an issue for another day...I'm excited to see Dareus' extension, and for the start of the 2015 season.

Maybe we should be a bit hasty about announcing the end of the career of a defensive tackle who's still playing at the top of his game (2014 pro bowler, 1st team all-pro) b/c he's 32, and perhaps flashback a decade to the 2005 off-season and check the conversations here re: a certain other DT who went on to play six more solid years, the first three going to the pro bowl. We have one of the all-time defensive lines -- let's not be so swift to architect its break-up. If the Dolphins can be flush against the cap and figure out a way to sign Suh, I'm pretty sure the Bills can find a way to keep KW in the fold.

Agreed, WR have time with Williams to make decisions. He probably would take a home town discount with the Bills. Not many players would but he may.