Cassel released

FluffHead

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel reversed their salaries, then I think EJ would have been cut.

I also believe Whaley wants to keep EJ Manuel so that people don't accuse him of drafting a 1st round bust. He tends to defend his trades and draft picks rather than admitting his mistakes.

For the record, experience has taught me over the years that pre-season performances by QB's mean NOTHING! I've seen every Bills QB play since 1960.

There are a lot of conclusions being drawn about these QB's based on insignificant data. I still haven't seen EJ Manuel do well against a decent defense in a regular season game. Until proven otherwise, Manuel is still a questionable 1st round pick. If he never becomes a solid stater in the NFL then it is certainly a wasted pick. Time will tell. The odds favor bust over boom at this point.

Well...We'll see won't we...

I doubt very much your experience and expert knowledge is going to sway anyone who thinks differently...It's about as insignificant as the data you sighted or the amount of time you've been judging QB play...

Anyone who thinks they've seen enough to make a final judgement on EJ based on what he did as a young player running a college offense in the NFL is far to proud of their inner ability to see the future...And that's not to say at all that EJ will ever amount to anything...It is to say that there is a 50/50 chance that you are right and you're taking that bet and drawing a definitive line choosing to be negative about a player who, if your a Bills fan, you should probably be routing for...Heck even praying for...Because it is clearly in the best interest of this team to see EJ reach his potential...I don't think that can be questioned whatsoever...Which really makes the anti-EJ campaign well beyond confusing to me...Because it's not coming from outside...It's coming from some Bills fans and a good number of Bills media...I just don't get it...Constructive criticism is understandable, if not warranted in EJ's case...But this goes well beyond that IMHO...I think some people, for whatever reason, just want him to fail...

But anyway...Carry on with your effort to align yourself squarely in the middle of the I-told-you-so's should you get your wish and EJ falls on his face...Good on you... B-)

Well...We'll see won't we...

I doubt very much your experience and expert knowledge is going to sway anyone who thinks differently...It's about as insignificant as the data you sighted or the amount of time you've been judging QB play...

Anyone who thinks they've seen enough to make a final judgement on EJ based on what he did as a young player running a college offense in the NFL is far to proud of their inner ability to see the future...And that's not to say at all that EJ will ever amount to anything...It is to say that there is a 50/50 chance that you are right and you're taking that bet and drawing a definitive line choosing to be negative about a player who, if your a Bills fan, you should probably be routing for...Heck even praying for...Because it is clearly in the best interest of this team to see EJ reach his potential...I don't think that can be questioned whatsoever...Which really makes the anti-EJ campaign well beyond confusing to me...Because it's not coming from outside...It's coming from some Bills fans and a good number of Bills media...I just don't get it...Constructive criticism is understandable, if not warranted in EJ's case...But this goes well beyond that IMHO...I think some people, for whatever reason, just want him to fail...

But anyway...Carry on with your effort to align yourself squarely in the middle of the I-told-you-so's should you get your wish and EJ falls on his face...Good on you... B-)

It's sad that the Dolphins fans were more patient with Tannehill even though he didn't do anything great either. And their coach left him in when he was struggling and now he is looking much better. Some fans turned on EJ after 2 bad games last year with no o-line and Doug Marrone & Hackett calling college plays.

this

EJ Manuel was pulled way too soon.

Can't agree with you on this. EJ was lost out there for the second game in a row when he got pulled. He needed to sit and circle back mentally. He has even said he learned a lot from Orton in the preparation/leadership part of the game.

WRT Cassel, kudos to our coaching staff and front office. What a great competition. Bottom line is it was all on display in the Pittsburgh game. Manuel and Tyrod were on fire, Cassel comes in and stinks it up Trent Edwards style. Just in case we were imagining things with Cassel, and EJ just got lucky in his time, Ryan brings EJ in again.

Added benefit of exposing the idiot journalists among us!

It was only preseason but the little things showed up clearly with TT. And more evidence EJ thrives under pressure, which is what a franchise QB needs. This is the first time in many years I have real hope in our quarterback situation.

I've never been a Meh believer--the Pats* absolutely fleeced the Chefs when they traded him. He can't hit the broad side of anything over 15 yds in the air.

It helped that a) he took over the most prolific offense in NFL history when Brady went down and b) former Cheaters GM Scott Pioli was the new GM of the Chefs and traded for him.

Agreed. This is a bad move. O'Leary wouldn't make most PS's.

Bryant was a great signing.

O'Leary did surprise me. On the other hand, teams who like something they see in a guy sometimes do give their draft picks a season to develop, and they might feel he'd be signed by other teams.

Or, they are keeping him as a "body" while the receiving corp heals. I'm sure it hasn't escaped others that while in theory, we kept 7 WR, in practice 2 of them are ST guys leaving 5, and of those 5, 3 are returning from injury leaving 2 uninjured (counting Sammy as uninjured)

Remember when considering backups, ST is also important. How is O'Leary doing on ST? How was Bryant vs his competition?

:thumbsup::lol: and Metz, who loved Matt Cassel more then an average fan should.

EJ led the NFL in passing for the pre season, and really was the only Bills QB to find the end zone with his arm game after game.

Stop with that, the EJ haters will pitch fork you out of town

I'm impressed by the complete absence of some of the EJ bashers and Cassel promoters in this thread.

Oh, excuse me... the "Realists" as they were so fond of calling themselves.

They had plenty to say in earlier threads. Now that Cassel is out they're in hiding so it seems.

I'm impressed by the complete absence of some of the EJ bashers and Cassel promoters in this thread.

Oh, excuse me... the "Realists" as they were so fond of calling themselves.

They had plenty to say in earlier threads. Now that Cassel is out they're in hiding so it seems.

They're too busy...They've moved on to witch doctors to solve their EJ hatred...Maybe a hit-man... ;)

Saw a couple more in the shoutbox this AM...Someone is going to have to explain to me how a Bills fan...an actual fan of this team...can be so actively campaigning against the kid...Like it's far more important for them to be right about the kid being a bust then it is for the kid to turn into a Franchise QB under Roman...It truly does boggle my mind...I just don't get it... :huh: