Cassel released

FluffHead

If EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel reversed their salaries, then I think EJ would have been cut.

I also believe Whaley wants to keep EJ Manuel so that people don't accuse him of drafting a 1st round bust. He tends to defend his trades and draft picks rather than admitting his mistakes.

For the record, experience has taught me over the years that pre-season performances by QB's mean NOTHING! I've seen every Bills QB play since 1960.

There are a lot of conclusions being drawn about these QB's based on insignificant data. I still haven't seen EJ Manuel do well against a decent defense in a regular season game. Until proven otherwise, Manuel is still a questionable 1st round pick. If he never becomes a solid stater in the NFL then it is certainly a wasted pick. Time will tell. The odds favor bust over boom at this point.

Something about if's and but's comes to mind.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he might enjoy getting inside info from McCloughan. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

They could compare techniques getting info from sources.

I also believe Whaley wants to keep EJ Manuel so that people don't accuse him of drafting a 1st round bust. He tends to defend his trades and draft picks rather than admitting his mistakes.

It sounds like Whaley is poster on TSW.

For a lot of these guys, their job is to make these predictions throughout the process. If they came on everyday saying "I don't know" it may help their credibility, but it would destroy their ratings.

I don't think most of It was that outlandish. It seems to be the general consensus that Cassel came in as the presumptive veteran starter and TT impressed from the get go as Rex's hand-picked hope, and that EJ struggled through most of camp and then came on strong toward the end.

Whether the FO wanted to keep a veteran with a high floor for security or save cap space and go with lower floor, higher ceiling options was anyone's guess. It's unfair to, with the benefit of hindsight, trash them for not being clairvoyant.

My sense is also that it is stupid to expect any of the media to be clairvoyant (though if they pretend they are so intelligent or football smart that their word is the be all and end all then all bets are off. If the Schoop character chooses to present himself as brilliant then making a stupid judgment like cassel is the man deserves all kinds of badmouthing.

If a beat reporter presents himself as having inside knowledge or insight for the Bills decisions and then they do the exact opposite, then I think it is reasonable to question the quality of their work.

We flat out had this in regard to the Bills QB situation.

Only surprised by Red Bryant.

And that O'Leary is still on the team.

I thought Bryant showed as well as they could have hoped but not surprised he was cut. Had a feeling something was up when he was playing in 4th quarter and then when he wasn't at practice the other day I resigned myself to the likelihood.

I'm shocked more of the EJ haters haven't posted here.

TRuth be told, there aren't that many of them. For every legitimate EJ hater there were 10 posters who simply didn't want to go "all in" on him by handing him the starting job with no competition who were labeled as "haters" also. Most are happy with him earning a roster spot, and would be happy with him starting provided he earned that as well.

You trade a player WITH his current contract. Not a huge market for a $4.5M backup QB. The Bills gave him that contract on the if-come that he'd become the starter. That didn't happen. Now he's taillights. He could be re-signed for a new contract for back-up money, and that could be a good thing. However I think the Offensive focus has firmly turned in favor of a more mobile QB scenario. I look for them to get another player more like TT and EJ than a game manager.

Edited by Nanker

TRuth be told, there aren't that many of them. For every legitimate EJ hater there were 10 posters who simply didn't want to go "all in" on him by handing him the starting job with no competition who were labeled as "haters" also. Most are happy with him earning a roster spot, and would be happy with him starting provided he earned that as well.

THis

I can't remember Carrington's play, good or bad, during pre-season.

Carrington didn't look bad he just isn't a pass rusher. He is a weapon on ST's though and with the extra point being moved back that's more opportunities for the guy to do his thing blocking kicks.

To me Carrington's value is in he is versatile

This is a player that inept coaching staffs int he past played him at LINEBACKER......when what he is is a guy that can play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 allignment

and I hate that we didnt keep Red Bryant

yeah he's not nearly as effective in run defense as Bryant......but he can play all over in Rex system......including dropping into coverage.......and can play special teams. Bryant is a very good one-trick pony.

Rex used to run his D with a lot of big, rangy journeyman types rotating on the DL and then generate pass pressure with blitzes so it's not really surprising that he wouldn't necessarily keep the most individually effective players on DL.