Cassel released

FluffHead

good thing we've seen some improvement in ej. Perhaps he can be developed if tyrod falls flat this year. Great to hear we have cap space to to get the extension done as well. It's gonna be fun to see a team with real coaching for both the bills and sabres.

I am not saying that YOU are saying this....only that I have seen enough of it on the board

People need to get behind Tyrod Taylor and hope we have something special there......EJ isnt going anywhere....lets all root for Tyrod to become that young Michel Vick type player (the guy that was drafted number 1 overall) TT is bigger, has a better arm, broke most of Vick's college records.......

Lets hope TT becomes that player for us

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting..... In the 5 minutes since I posted this, Wikipedia removed the header (directly below the news of his release from Bills) that said New England Patriots 2015, accompanied by this blurb: "On September 5, 2015, Cassel signed a one year contract with the New England Patriots, per source." Hmmmm.

Edited by SouthernMan

Anyone else seeing Timmah retweet anyone who insinuates that cutting Cassel was a "Whaley move" not approved by Rex...?

I mean, can his agenda be MORE transparent? (Don't answer DC Tom...I get that transparency has a finite limit in it's own definition.)

Speaking of Timmah, as punishment for irresponsible reporting, I think he should be assigned to the Redskins beat.

Speaking of Timmah, as punishment for irresponsible reporting, I think he should be assigned to the Redskins beat.

Good idea. Plenty of scope for making **** up there, since no one knows what the hell's going on in the Redskins' organization anyway.

I think it actually says the most about WGR whose idiot pundits demonstrated how little they know about both the Bills and football when they declared Cassel still the leading candidate for the #1 QB job AFTER T-Mobile performance that won him the job and EJ Manuel's posting of the maximum possible QB rating against Pitts that won him the #2 job.

Until they say something that explains this wrong call and why it will not happen again, they are simply objectively not to be believed.

The same is pretty true for Vic Carucci, who while not lowering himself to WGR stupidity by advocating for Meh, still clearly reported wrong opinions which he should at least acknowledge if he wants to maintain credibility as a reporter.

Third on the quite reasonably questioned as to how well do you do your job is AP reporter Wawrow. While, I think his past good works he shared on TSW should be acknowledged and praised. His EJ sees the handwriting on the wall does demand some public exploration for these public comments IF he wishes to maintain the credibility he built with this (and I suspect other) TSW readers.

Perhaps, his initial reporting was true and EJs pretty darn excellent performance against Pitts changed some Bills braintrust minds.

I doubt this because other major true factors at the time of his handwriting report were:

1. EJ actually played notably well the first two pre-season games throwing the best bomb for a TD this season against NC, and then performed well in the next game with a late scoring pass and then led the team to a win with a successful 2 point conversion.

It was also true EJ clearly needed some work having misfired on a couple of completions with poor arm accuracy after his great running ability had allowed him to escape a pass rush.

However, even acknowledging EJ not being perfect (who is?) also by a good reporter would have stated objectively Cassel simply failed to score in ex-games and had not been so outstandingly better in practice that the handwriting after 2 games was morelikely impressed but not yet convinced by EJ but this compared to Cassel that rather than the #1 QB slot being his job to lose, it was merely set-up well for him to take it, but neither his performance in practice or production in games added up to him not having taken the #1 job yet.

Neither, WGR, Carucci, or Wawrow have to do anything because certainly me as an individual or all of us as readers are easily ignored.

However, all of these three media outlets I think are also easily ignored by readers unless their work means something to them that they care to account for what they say.

I don't think they owe anyone an apology at all. EJ's performance in the Steelers PS game was a very pleasant surprise. If he had performed anywhere close to that level at the beginning of TC & maintained it, there's no doubt that he would be starting Week 1. More likely IMO that he did see the writing on the wall, and knew he had to finally step up to salvage his career... and to his credit, he did, major props to him.

If EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel reversed their salaries, then I think EJ would have been cut.

I also believe Whaley wants to keep EJ Manuel so that people don't accuse him of drafting a 1st round bust. He tends to defend his trades and draft picks rather than admitting his mistakes.

For the record, experience has taught me over the years that pre-season performances by QB's mean NOTHING! I've seen every Bills QB play since 1960.

There are a lot of conclusions being drawn about these QB's based on insignificant data. I still haven't seen EJ Manuel do well against a decent defense in a regular season game. Until proven otherwise, Manuel is still a questionable 1st round pick. If he never becomes a solid stater in the NFL then it is certainly a wasted pick. Time will tell. The odds favor bust over boom at this point.

Edited by Billsguy

I don't think they owe anyone an apology at all. EJ's performance in the Steelers PS game was a very pleasant surprise. If he had performed anywhere close to that level at the beginning of TC & maintained it, there's no doubt that he would be starting Week 1. More likely IMO that he did see the writing on the wall, and knew he had to finally step up to salvage his career... and to his credit, he did, major props to him.

The insinuation is that he wasn't trying hard enough initially. I think it was just a matter of learning and getting comfortable with Roman's offense and working on his mechanics.

If EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel reversed their salaries, then I think EJ would have been cut.

I also believe Whaley wants to keep EJ Manuel so that people don't accuse him of drafting a 1st round bust. He tends to defend his trades and draft picks rather than admitting his mistakes.

For the record, experience has taught me over the years that pre-season performances by QB's mean NOTHING! I've seen every Bills QB play since 1960.

There are a lot of conclusions being drawn about these QB's based on insignificant data. I still haven't seen EJ Manuel do well against a decent defense in a regular season game. Until proven otherwise, Manuel is still a questionable 1st round pick. If he never becomes a solid stater in the NFL then it is certainly a wasted pick. Time will tell. The odds favor bust over boom at this point.

This the "I need to be right" referendum. I don't blame you, many others will posit the same.

Excellent post. Whaley's contract most likely expires after the 2015 season and his decisions need to work out quickly. And now that he's sharing power with Rex, it's interesting to see who stays and who goes. A lot of the guys he's drafted/signed/extended are either not here or not starting.

Actually since EJs was guaranteed and counts against the salary cap regardless I doubt it would be different

Can you row hoes?

No you have road hoes

He really should feel upset about &@$)#>% whoever he did for that lead.

In hindsight it seems like poor value for the effort.

Actually, these reporters don't owe an apology or anything to anybody. However, one of the reasons why anyone with half a brain has no belief in WGR "reporting" is that routinely they say or report stuff which does not have much of a relationship to reality. I don't think there is anything they can do to redeem themselves.

Carucci however, as an outside observer, I had some respect for his work. However, whatever "insider" source gave him the "insight" he reported that Cassel had the inside track on the #1 QB slot after TT performed in game like Rex said he wanted and EJ CONTINUED the notably impressive play he showed with the long TD pass in game 1, and with the 2 clutch scoring passes in game 2 simply raises questions about his football intelligence after he declared Cassel the likely starter when the simple fact his the 3 QB performances sealed his cut due to his big contract.

Do you trust Carucci the same way after he simply blew it big time on the most watched story of the pre-season.

Wawrow also owes nobody nothing, but if its important to him that his work is credible then he simply has some splainin to do, as his reporting seems to run counter to reality. I appreciate his past good insights but I would think this miscue might at least be acknowledged.

This seems pretty straightforward to me

Salary plays a part, but if Cassel was making was EJ is, they'd probably keep all 3.

Actually, these reporters don't owe an apology or anything to anybody. However, one of the reasons why anyone with half a brain has no belief in WGR "reporting" is that routinely they say or report stuff which does not have much of a relationship to reality. I don't think there is anything they can do to redeem themselves.

Carucci however, as an outside observer, I had some respect for his work. However, whatever "insider" source gave him the "insight" he reported that Cassel had the inside track on the #1 QB slot after TT performed in game like Rex said he wanted and EJ CONTINUED the notably impressive play he showed with the long TD pass in game 1, and with the 2 clutch scoring passes in game 2 simply raises questions about his football intelligence after he declared Cassel the likely starter when the simple fact his the 3 QB performances sealed his cut due to his big contract.

Do you trust Carucci the same way after he simply blew it big time on the most watched story of the pre-season.

Wawrow also owes nobody nothing, but if its important to him that his work is credible then he simply has some splainin to do, as his reporting seems to run counter to reality. I appreciate his past good insights but I would think this miscue might at least be acknowledged.

This seems pretty straightforward to me

No, actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the pecking order after the Panthers PS game was in fact Cassel, TT, EJ (though obviously not in stone). To both TT & EJ's credit (+ Roman et all), the next 2 games changed a lot of minds. I don't think Cassel did anything wrong, the other 2 just really shined.

This is far more credible to me than any media conspiracy theory.

+ 1

Good points.

I am hoping Taylor success in pre-season does translate into the regular season. Hope he stays healthy and improves every time out.