Bills cuts - round 2

YoloinOhio

The OC needs to focus on how the game plan is working out and what adjustments might be needed. He doesn't have time to "offer veteran opinion" to the QB and may not have any QBing experience from which to offer veteran opinion. This is the first place Marrone and Hackett went wrong with EJ, trying to have the OC do it all.

The QB coach, maybe, but if he's a guy like David Lee, whose experience playing stopped as the QB of Vanderbuilt U, mightn't there be significant nuances of playing QB in the NFL that he can't offer veteran opinion about 'cuz he doesn't know 'em?

As I've said elsewhere, paying a vet significant bucks is a choice some teams with more established young QB (Luck, Tannehill) have continued to make. Even the Seasnakes have TJax.

What type of insight do you picture him sharing that he otherwise wouldn't have access to?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said elsewhere, paying a vet significant bucks is a choice some teams with more established young QB (Luck, Tannehill) have continued to make. Even the Seasnakes have TJax.

Coaches are not capped; they can pay an assistant coach with NFL experience 4M a year if they want even if OC and QB coach do not make that much.

So you're proving my point. He isn't needed

Sure, I'm with you on it. And TT has been on the sidelines with Flacco for 4 years, he is a veteran that worked with a Super Bowl winning QB and a solid organization, i think he has learned a lot.

I know I'm in the minority but I love Karlos Williams & Tarpley and also like O'Leary.

I haven't heard one good about O'Leary this camp, what do you like about him? I don't think liking Karlos Williams puts you in the minority.

The OC needs to focus on how the game plan is working out and what adjustments might be needed. He doesn't have time to "offer veteran opinion" to the QB and may not have any QBing experience from which to offer veteran opinion. This is the first place Marrone and Hackett went wrong with EJ, trying to have the OC do it all.

The QB coach, maybe, but if he's a guy like David Lee, whose experience playing stopped as the QB of Vanderbuilt U, mightn't there be significant nuances of playing QB in the NFL that he can't offer veteran opinion about 'cuz he doesn't know 'em?

I have a hard time believing that an experienced OC and QB coach can't offer game time advice because of either time or knowledge. On the other side of the ball, I often see Belichek find time to talk to his defenses and he is a Head Coach.

Edited by klos63

What type of insight do you picture him sharing that he otherwise wouldn't have access to?

Not that think should keep him if is 3rd QB either, but there is the whole film breakdown and study thing, where QB's tend to do that to learn defense tendencies and look at their own plays and break them down. They do some of it with Coach's but majority either together or on own. Having a vet that has learned from Brady isn't a bad thing there.

If Easley isn't a WR what was he doing in the Pittsburgh game?

Hey PTR. .. completely off topic... but what day is tomorrow!!!! Home opener baby!!!

Was listening to the first quarter on the radio on my way to work and i think kelso said something to the effect that Richardson missed a block because he couldn't get to his man fast enough.. it was a hold ot something. And i said to myself... he is screwed because he cant move. It seems to be Romans main point to have guys who can pull and at the vet least get to the second level. Cyril can do neither. He is a big slow Mauler.

quote name="Nihilarian" post="3666069" timestamp="1441401694"]

Cyril Richardson a surprise, and Andre Davis

Who are DW and NH? Sorry but i have no clue what you are talking about.

Look at Goodwins stats.

Im thinking NH is nate Hackett. DW maybe supposed to be Doug Marrone?

Hey PTR. .. completely off topic... but what day is tomorrow!!!! Home opener baby!!!

Yup, The Lance Leipold era begins. They play Albany. Game is 3:30 on WatchESPN. Not exactly Ohio State. But they go to Happy Valley next Saturday.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yup, The Lance Leipold era begins. They play Albany. Game is 3:30 on WatchESPN. Not exactly Ohio State. But they go to Happy Valley next Saturday.

I'll be there for seasons for the.... WOW 20th season. I'm ready to kick it in gear as long as they play more dominant than they did against stony brook. Leipold seems like a legit guy

Don't rule out Freeman, apparently Rex loves him, very smart player, can long snap, and also play guard in a pinch. Might be a twofer where they keep him and release Urbik & Sanborn, or upgrade from the cut list.

Despite being light for an OL, did 34 bench presses at his pro day, coach's son, apparently very athletic for an OL, and a good fit for what Roman does.

Thanks for the info!

You know, I'll put it out there. I don't have a clue what the Volleyball girls all talk about when they circle up between every point. And I don't have a clue what Hasselbeck offers Luck or Moore offers Tannenbach on the sidelines, not being a QB or a football player of any sort myself. Are you? I do know that the younger QB typically says cool things about how it helps him so much, but one could write that off as "Good Press Manners".

What I really think is that with an exciting young QB with fast legs who has never started an NFL game and another young QB who looks much improved but was not "all that" last time he started a game, we should swallow the cap hit and keep Cassel around. Yes, all those millions make him expensive insurance, but if we really want to win, he's our "servicable backup plan" in case the young guys flame out or get hurt early.

I would not be surprised if the Bills were trying to trade Hogan or Goodwin. They are the kinds of guys you hate to give up for nothing but have each other to battle plus 3 guys ahead in pecking order. I starting to think they keep 7 including two mainly ST guys in Easley and Thigpen.

Really hard to trade guys who've been out injured; Hogan is supposed to be back, but Goodwin cracked ribs.

I'm assuming they instructed him to throw a pass 20 yds the wrong way last night just keep other teams off the scent

I think he managed that on pure football instinct.

I just can't understand the idea that his opinion is work 4.5 million. If he is in fact 3, it'd be an extremely rare occasion he'd be needed on the field. Leaving his only reason for being there his opinion?

If he is number 2, I get it.

If he is number 3, I don't.

It's not only his mentorship. Consider that Tyrod has never played real NFL football and the last time EJ tried it he gave us no chance to win.

Both have a ton of natural ability and looked good in preseason but why assume they can start in this league before you actually see it?

Is starting a QB who has never played NFL football not risky enough? It's so outrageously easy to cover our bases in case we're wrong / injuries, all we'd need to do is not cut a guy.

Edited by Aaron

Chris Hogan is what he is.. He'll never be anything more... Already reached his ceiling and looking for a soft spot to land when he comes down.... Guess that's us... Shoulda kept Davis. -More upside.

People have been saying Hogan has reached his ceiling for 3 years and he has gotten better each year.

Cuts were done early to see who makes it through waivers. I still think Cassel gets cut if Simms makes it through waivers and is placed on practice squad. This allows the team to have 3 qbs but save the cash. If Simms is picked up (possibly by a team like Houston), then Cassel stays.

Cuts were done early to see who makes it through waivers. I still think Cassel gets cut if Simms makes it through waivers and is placed on practice squad. This allows the team to have 3 qbs but save the cash. If Simms is picked up (possibly by a team like Houston), then Cassel stays.

You cannot add players to the practice squad until Monday. By that time Cassel's fully salary would be guaranteed for 2015 and there would be no point in releasing him.

You cannot add players to the practice squad until Monday. By that time Cassel's fully salary would be guaranteed for 2015 and there would be no point in releasing him.

But they will know who won't get claimed off of waivers by Saturday afternoon. If Simms is not claimed, his best option is to stay with Rex in Buffalo. This likely means he knows a practice squad spot would be waiting for him

Only need to cut 3 more for week 1 because of Dareus suspension. I think Hogan, O'leary and Cassel get cut.

Edited by Drreef2

What I see this...last time I...any of those first person words that can help bring a person clarity. Someone who offers advice and is a peer rather than a boss. It works in families, business, sport. Is there any place that it isn't used?

Coaches are not capped; they can pay an assistant coach with NFL experience 4M a year if they want even if OC and QB coach do not make that much.

I've always wondered. Why not gt around the salary cap bundling this. Players/coach. Make $2.5mm formplaying, 14.5mm for coaching. Or lock them up for after with creativity

It's not only his mentorship. Consider that Tyrod has never played real NFL football and the last time EJ tried it he gave us no chance to win.

Both have a ton of natural ability and looked good in preseason but why assume they can start in this league before you actually see it?

Is starting a QB who has never played NFL football not risky enough? It's so outrageously easy to cover our bases in case we're wrong / injuries, all we'd need to do is not cut a guy.

I know some people don't think much of EJ but he did actually win games for the Bills. There is no need to exaggerate his record. It's not 0-fer.