Our old friend Jairus Byrd

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always completely against resigning Byrd as he was another player completely overrated by most Bills fans.

Those same fans accused Bills of being cheap when in fact it was just a good decision by the front office.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that a part of me likes it when former greedy Bills players dont live up to the hype on their new team.

Take a little bit if the rejection sting away

CBF

Because a player leaves for a better contract, you consider that Greed?

Players have to make a lot of money in a very short career.

I would definitely not paint Byrd as a "greedy" player a better adjective would be responsible.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

I would definitely not paint Byrd as a "greedy" player a better adjective would be responsible.

Imo

I bet you were on Jason Peters side too

CBF

Ahh too late haha I edited my post!

CBF

lol, I would have liked Byrd and Jason Peters to remain, however, I understand the need to make more money with another team. It wasn't personal.

Sometimes the grass is greener, some players just want a change.

Peters is having a solid career in Philly.

Byrd has had lingering injury issues since he was a Bill (Hernia & PF) it was a good decision letting him walk.

Imo

I went on a date with a foot doctor last month. I had a very in depth conversation about the booboo foot that Byrd had but forgot the name. Either way, it sounds like it can be quite serious and due to how tight the tendons of the foot are will break bones and rip apart feet literally.

Imo

I don't think it was ever about the money, we offered him a competitive contract. He just didn't want to be here, IMO. I don't really think that he wanted to be here before we tagged him but he definitely wanted to leave after we tagged him

Plantars fasciitis is brutal they tell me.

It is. I had it in my right foot and my wife has had it in both feet. It was easily a year before it was right. Not that I have close to the same care as NFL players or anything.

Man, Byrd taking a powder in NO is going to push them further into cap hell. They were already in terrible shape and this is another big hit.

$28 million gauranteed. Does he get to keep all this money even if he retires the day after he signs?

No. It is difficult to recoup signing bonuses, but a player choosing to retire can be required to repay a portion of it. He also would forfeit any unpaid, guaranteed money. In your example, the player would end up giving it all back.

IMO Byrd is the new football player you might see. A player that tries to play as less as possible and collect their2 nd contract and get paid. Then play as little as possible and retire by 30 with tens of millions. Just a thought and trend that will be more popular.

It would certainly be the rational thing to do, but most of these guys didn't get where they are by making a series of rational decisions. I think you're right though in that more than before will pursue this course, especially after they've been hurt.

IMO Byrd is the new football player you might see. A player that tries to play as less as possible and collect their2 nd contract and get paid. Then play as little as possible and retire by 30 with tens of millions. Just a thought and trend that will be more popular.

Plantars fasciitis is brutal they tell me.

It is. I had it in my right foot and my wife has had it in both feet. It was easily a year before it was right. Not that I have close to the same care as NFL players or anything.

Man, Byrd taking a powder in NO is going to push them further into cap hell. They were already in terrible shape and this is another big hit.

No. It is difficult to recoup signing bonuses, but a player choosing to retire can be required to repay a portion of it. He also would forfeit any unpaid, guaranteed money. In your example, the player would end up giving it all back.

I'm dealing with it right now. Had my knee done in August. Got plantar fasciitis on the opposite foot about three months into PT. I'm walking like Chester on Gunsmoke. It's a B word.

That said, I think both Manning brothers have had it, and now Drew Breese is dealing with it. I think it's relatively common in the NFL. IIRC, I think Shane Conlan had a case of it too after he switched to "his own" brand of playing shoe.

NO deserves what they get with Bryd. They took the gamble and lost. Nobody cries a tear for The Bills when things don't go right for them.

JMHO