Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even that argument is based on flawed logic. If they are trying to trade EJ, but not Cassel it shows that they believe EJ holds more value around the league than Cassel.

I understand, but they are contradicting themselves continually by saying he's the 3rd qb and would likely be cut/traded. Now it looks like he's the #2 QB and they still think he will be cut/traded. What's the point of trading/cutting a quality backup as young and still undeveloped as EJ? Unless they can get a 1-3 round pick for him (which I doubt) he's not going anywhere.

I doubt this is about EJ #2 or Cassel #2. This is now about can you roll with Taylor and EJ or had you better have a backup plan. I am pretty certain Greg Roman is in the latter camp and Whaley in the former. This ultimately will come down to Rex I think. If he makes a case to keep Cassel he stays. Id he decides he can roll without him Decisive Doug will do the deed.

I understand, but they are contradicting themselves continually by saying he's the 3rd qb and would likely be cut/traded. Now it looks like he's the #2 QB and they still think he will be cut/traded. What's the point of trading/cutting a quality backup as young and still undeveloped as EJ? Unless they can get a 1-3 round pick for him (which I doubt) he's not going anywhere.

Oh I completely agree with you here. I have said a couple times I think they might be shopping EJ, but if they can't get the right price they'd cut Cassel. That whole idea for me is based on the fact that EJ is worth more to the league (and simply put, he is better) than Cassel, but if the price was right then the Bills could live with Cassel as a baseline backup until next draft.

IMO you can't sit there and say he's 3rd string but worth trading, which is what they seem to be doing.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Oh I completely agree with you here. I have said a couple times I think they might be shopping EJ, but if they can't get the right price they'd cut Cassel. That whole idea for me is based on the fact that EJ is worth more to the league (and simply put, he is better) than Cassel, but if the price was right then the Bills could live with Cassel as a baseline backup until next draft.

IMO you can't sit there and say he's 3rd string but worth trading, which is what they seem to be doing.

Hokie, there's NO WAY they're shopping EJ Manuel!! First, who knows about Taylor's durability. Second, they'd have to totally change their offense. Third, $,$,$

I doubt this is about EJ #2 or Cassel #2. This is now about can you roll with Taylor and EJ or had you better have a backup plan. I am pretty certain Greg Roman is in the latter camp and Whaley in the former. This ultimately will come down to Rex I think. If he makes a case to keep Cassel he stays. Id he decides he can roll without him Decisive Doug will do the deed.

It's really pretty simple like you explain. With the emergence of both TT and EJ in their minds, the need for Vet QB had diminished....whats the point if hes buried 3rd or more on the depth chart? What to do with him will come down to a) money and b) likelihood of injury to both TT and EJ.

the only reason would be to get out from under a fully guaranteed contract.... but even that is cheap for a backup - which makes him an even better keeper when compared to cassel for a team aggressively spending.

Hokie, there's NO WAY they're shopping EJ Manuel!! First, who knows about Taylor's durability. Second, they'd have to totally change their offense. Third, $,$,$

Haha, like I said it'd have to be for the right price. And I do not believe we'd be offered what we would need to actually get a deal done.

I think it's the best thing to do to get rid of Cassell. EJ is way better and has more upside. If all hell breaks loose and both TT and EJ get hurt, it probably would be the same to get some old vet out there lingering around as it would be to keep Cassell. Anyway, how many teams keep 3 QBs? The Bills have too many other good players and not enough room in the 53 to keep Cassell.

Edited by ptato22

I think it's the best thing to do to get rid of Cassell. EJ is way better and has more upside. If all hell breaks loose and both TT and EJ get hurt, it probably would be the same to get some old vet out there lingering around as it would be to keep Cassell. Anyway, how many teams keep 3 QBs? The Bills have too many other good players and not enough room in the 53 to keep Cassell.

Another benefit it signals to EJ they have some faith in him too...kind of a consolation prize for playing well in preseason but not being named starter Edited by JTSP

Thing is about Cassel, Chris Brown posted this on Monday: No surprise here. Tyrod Taylor first man thru in offense lineup warmups. Matt Cassel with 2nd group. https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Which leads me to believe Cassel is #2. But it's Wednesday so who knows?

I agree. There is no "right price" here. What would they be shopping for? QBs are next to impossible to come by. There is nothing I would take in return for EJ at this point, with his potential.

If we traded him and he ended up starting for another team and winning games...I would seriously consider jumping ship.

Edit: I know we have Tyrod in the mix but he is not proven, obviously. If EJ is traded, it's next year.

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Sorry guys. Matt Coller says EJ is who he is going to be because he's 25 and analytics says that, except for a few outliers, all athletes are who they are going to be at 25, so forget about EJ. And because of two games out of the 14 he started were really bad, he just will nver be a guy you can rely on and the fact that he couldn't beat out Tyrod and Cassel, he's never going to be more than he is.

Oh and his improvement this year is marginal, but not enough to make him better than Cassel. So all of us morons who don't understand analytics, too bad and so sad.