Looking Ahead ... News about the Colts (week 1 opponent)

Lothar

I'd like to start a thread like this (maybe YOLO or 26 can do this more justice) during the season as we prep for an opponent.

I remember reading a few months back how the Colts were not a bad run defense while Arthur Jones was on the field last season. He was injured on the first drive during their preseason game against the Rams and is now in a walking boot. I don't wish bad luck on anyone but considering we'll be missing Dareus and McKelvin, I'd like all the help we can get week 1. Without him, we're talking a difference of nearly a yard more per carry. That's a big difference.

Here’s a look at the type of impact Jones when he was on the field prior to the AFC Championship game last season.

WITHOUT JONES ON THE FIELD

• 257 rushes for 1,201 yards (4.67 yards per rush)

• 3.12 yards before contact per rush

• 12 rushing TDs (4.7 percent of rushes)

• First downs allowed on 26 percent of rushes

WITH JONES ON THE FIELD

• 165 rushes for 615 yards (3.73 yards per rush)

• 2.15 yards before contact per rush

• 2 rushing TDs (1.2 percent of rushes)

• First downs allowed on 22 percent of rushes

http://scores.espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/13395/the-statistics-show-that-the-colts-need-art-jones-on-the-field-to-stop-the-run

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I wouldnt be shocked if we rolled Graham or AW back out at #2 and used Darby at nickel.

I would be shocked if this was a tactic employed against the Colts. Other teams, yes. But not the Colts. Neither Williams or Graham have the long speed needed to cover T.Y. Hilton man to man. Gilmore may not even have it. Mckelvin does. I wish he were healthy. That being said, Gilmore sends to do his best work against bigger, more physical receivers. Match him up on Johnson and give Darby some serious over the top help against Hilton. And then pray.

The Colts Oline has really struggled so far this preseason. I really think this is set up well for a repeat of last year's week 1 where everyone counted us out. However I'm also growing more convinced we'll be getting a ticked off Brady in week 2.

This. The best pass D will be their pressure on Luck. Force quick throws and negate TY's deep speed.