what's the longest you ever walked?

outsidethebox

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking of walking the Appalachian trail next year. Just curious if anyone else has done a similar journey?

someone on here has had a son or daughter do it...I think Lewport. You should get in touch with them.

I have though about it, but seeing as i dont know how to set up a tent i think it might be a bit much to start with that!

I've been doing a lot of hiking this past year. Considering I've never hiked before. It somehow brings me peace.

I've,done a lot of research on people who have walked it and those who walked across the country. It's something I've always wanted to do. Maybe someday.

I love hiking and camping and have always wanted to do the Appalachan Trail. Also the Long Trail, and the Pacific Crest Trail. That is great you are considering. It would be quite the accomplishment. A good friend of mine completed it about 10 years ago. He tells me stories of "trail magic". Good people leave a tray of brownies in a hut for the next batch of arrriving hikers, or there will be ice cold beer in a stream waiting for you on the path. Go for it!

One of my favorite authors is Bill Bryson. Check out A Walk in the Woods. It is informative and hilarious.

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-America-Appalachian/dp/0307279464

Around 10-12 miles, that was Gore Mountain, round trip. I know I did longer when I did Algonquin and Iroquois but wasn't keeping track.

Oh, and Walk In The Woods sucks. I don't know why people love that book so much, here's a much better one from someone that actually finished the whole trail in one summer....

http://www.amazon.com/AWOL-Appalachian-Trail-David-Miller/dp/0547745524/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I once walked from Tulare California to Visaila California in a heavy fog bank

When I was a teenager I used to walk around in the fog.....loved it....something about the way it would muffle sound.

(yes I was a wierd kid)

are you saying you are not a weird adult?

someone on here has had a son or daughter do it...I think Lewport. You should get in touch with them.

I have though about it, but seeing as i dont know how to set up a tent i think it might be a bit much to start with that!

It was, indeed, Lewport. His daughter did it and my neighbor's daughter was part of their group. Small world.

Never done the full AP trail. If I ever do I will do it piece mill. I have done day hikes 10+ miles and weekends hiking.

From what I know of the AP trail is it is can be dangerous; there are people who will rob you or hassle you. I wanted to point that out.

Nothing long but we have Redwood Regional Park up the hill from us. Tons of trails and it's magnificent to hike through those massive redwoods. They're third growth seeing they logged the first growth to build the area and used the second growth to rebuild SF after the big quake but they are beautiful regardless.

Never done the full AP trail. If I ever do I will do it piece mill. I have done day hikes 10+ miles and weekends hiking.

From what I know of the AP trail is it is can be dangerous; there are people who will rob you or hassle you. I wanted to point that out.

Probably the stoners after eating the brownies. :D

Around 10-12 miles, that was Gore Mountain, round trip. I know I did longer when I did Algonquin and Iroquois but wasn't keeping track.

Oh, and Walk In The Woods sucks. I don't know why people love that book so much, here's a much better one from someone that actually finished the whole trail in one summer....

http://www.amazon.com/AWOL-Appalachian-Trail-David-Miller/dp/0547745524/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I read that last fall -- great read. Got me all geared up for hiking too, but leaving the wife and kids for six months doesn't really work.

Drunk or sober?

Distance or time?

When I was in HS, there was some woods behind my house. People threw parties back in there all the time, including my friends and I.

Sober, I could make that trek in about a half hour.

Making that trip back after the party, drunk, about an hour.

I've been thinking of walking the Appalachian trail next year. Just curious if anyone else has done a similar journey?

I know someone who tried (gave up because of a knee injury, after two weeks.)

The one thing I remember from his experience is that the logistics was far more difficult than the actual hiking. He had a team of people shipping supplies to him, and to plan the hike in detail so they knew when to ship what to where, and when, so he'd be fed along the trail.

I love hiking and camping and have always wanted to do the Appalachan Trail. Also the Long Trail,

I did a nice chunk of the Long Trail this summer.

With all due respect to Baxter/Katahdin, the Camels Hump - Mt Mansfield area may have been the nicest place I've ever been in the East.

I know someone who tried (gave up because of a knee injury, after two weeks.)

The one thing I remember from his experience is that the logistics was far more difficult than the actual hiking. He had a team of people shipping supplies to him, and to plan the hike in detail so they knew when to ship what to where, and when, so he'd be fed along the trail.

Yes I saw a documentary about it and that was very interesting regarding getting their supplies picked up.