Tyler Dunne talks Bills on NFLN

YoloinOhio

Hope Dareus takes his frustrations out on opposing teams this season. A deal is inevitable here imo. No way we let one of the young, premier DT's in the league walk.

Edited by H2o

"EJ Manuel can’t be trusted. Don’t be fooled by his preseason numbers (13 of 22 for 188 yards, two touchdowns). Manuel’s practice tape is littered with one incomplete pass into the hospitality tent, one that drilled a cameraman on the sideline and several fumbled snaps." From Dunne's BN article this morning. Apparently it doesn't matter if someone looks good in a game, what's important is practice.

"EJ Manuel can’t be trusted. Don’t be fooled by his preseason numbers (13 of 22 for 188 yards, two touchdowns). Manuel’s practice tape is littered with one incomplete pass into the hospitality tent, one that drilled a cameraman on the sideline and several fumbled snaps." From Dunne's BN article this morning. Apparently it doesn't matter if someone looks good in a game, what's important is practice.

Preseason is a real game? Since when. I thought they were practice games? No wonder we can't make the playoffs.

It's all important. We aren't talking about Andre Davis potentially making this team because of his 2 catches for 20 yards. The whole picture is all that matters.

Preseason is a real game? Since when. I thought they were practice games? No wonder we can't make the playoffs.

Ok, simulated game like conditions vs drills, happy now?

It's all important. We aren't talking about Andre Davis potentially making this team because of his 2 catches for 20 yards. The whole picture is all that matters.

I agree it's all important, which is why I don't understand discounting the numbers from the simulated game like conditions of the practices referred to as preseason or exhibition games.

Juxtaposed against the new approach to practice:

"Roman and Ryan’s time-saving methods are not limited to running concurrent practices. They have also found another simple way to ensure their fast-moving practices move even faster: They don’t correct mistakes on the field. They simply want to run as many plays in practice as possible, then they will address any mistakes to players in the film room later.

“We are not going to call a timeout and stop the practice on the field to tell a receiver he needs to take a two-yard split inside the numbers,” Roman said. “The quickest way to get better at football is to play football. Not watch football and not talk about football. It gives players the opportunities to make mistakes.”

Woods, the Bills’ receiver, said the no-mistake-correction philosophy has an added benefit for players because it allows a player to practice “stress-free” without walking on eggshells, afraid of offending their coach with a wrong route. That will come after practice."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfls-best-practice-no-wasted-time-1440539319

So when E.J. "throws it in the media tent" due to a WR running the wrong route, are the media tweets (twits) knowledgeable enough to know what happened? Especially if he's been working with the 3s, where route-running mistakes are a lot more likely to occur?

Edited by Lurker

"Roman and Ryan’s time-saving methods are not limited to running concurrent practices. They have also found another simple way to ensure their fast-moving practices move even faster: They don’t correct mistakes on the field. They simply want to run as many plays in practice as possible, then they will address any mistakes to players in the film room later.

“We are not going to call a timeout and stop the practice on the field to tell a receiver he needs to take a two-yard split inside the numbers,” Roman said. “The quickest way to get better at football is to play football. Not watch football and not talk about football. It gives players the opportunities to make mistakes.”

Woods, the Bills’ receiver, said the no-mistake-correction philosophy has an added benefit for players because it allows a player to practice “stress-free” without walking on eggshells, afraid of offending their coach with a wrong route. That will come after practice."

So when E.J. "throws it in the media tent" due to a WR running the wrong route, are the media tweets (twits) knowledgeable enough to know what happened? Especially if he's been working with the 3s, where route-running mistakes are a lot more likely to occur?

Or maybe a different take. A lot of the 3rd string guys are the one who are smart and made it to this level by knowing routes and just knowing the sport, but don't have all the gifted talents of the top tier guys. So maybe the WR ran the right route and EJ mistook the 50 foot tent for a WR..

I agree it's all important, which is why I don't understand discounting the numbers from the simulated game like conditions of the practices referred to as preseason or exhibition games.

Nothing will be discounted when making the decision. Probably the biggest factor (and the one that we are not exposed to) is the film breakdown. We know what happened on every play because of the extensive media coverage but we do not necessarily know what was supposed to happen on a particular play. In addition, we get a 6 second clip from a cell phone vs. a 360 degree view like the coaches have.

I can confidently say, without hesitation, that the decision will NOT be made with a lack of information or analysis.

63284594.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Nothing will be discounted when making the decision. Probably the biggest factor (and the one that we are not exposed to) is the film breakdown. We know what happened on every play because of the extensive media coverage but we do not necessarily know what was supposed to happen on a particular play. In addition, we get a 6 second clip from a cell phone vs. a 360 degree view like the coaches have.

I can confidently say, without hesitation, that the decision will NOT be made with a lack of information or analysis.

Once again I agree, the coaches will discount nothing. It is Dunne who is discounting, he said "do not be fooled by preseason numbers (13-22 188 yards and two touchdowns). As though those performances should be ignored.

Preseason doesn't matter huh?

Look at BB.com and Chris Brown article

Ryan admitted that Manuel’s performance in the Cleveland game influenced his decision to start him against Pittsburgh along with his belief that Manuel’s start in the scrimmage wasn’t a true starting opportunity.

“EJ has always gotten reps with the threes and twos and now it’s his shot to get reps with the ones as well,” said Ryan. “I feel good about that.”

Once again I agree, the coaches will discount nothing. It is Dunne who is discounting, he said "do not be fooled by preseason numbers (13-22 188 yards and two touchdowns). As though those performances should be ignored.

Yeah, that's a pretty dumb statement. I don't know why he would advocate dismissing anything.

Thank you Lurker for finding this!!! Now we know that the "tape" reference EJ made was the coaches "tape" and not a trade bait "tape" like the media were emphasizing.

"Roman and Ryans time-saving methods are not limited to running concurrent practices. They have also found another simple way to ensure their fast-moving practices move even faster: They dont correct mistakes on the field. They simply want to run as many plays in practice as possible, then they will address any mistakes to players in the film room later.

We are not going to call a timeout and stop the practice on the field to tell a receiver he needs to take a two-yard split inside the numbers, Roman said. The quickest way to get better at football is to play football. Not watch football and not talk about football. It gives players the opportunities to make mistakes.

Woods, the Bills receiver, said the no-mistake-correction philosophy has an added benefit for players because it allows a player to practice stress-free without walking on eggshells, afraid of offending their coach with a wrong route. That will come after practice."

ty was asked about that on Twitter. His response:

@TyDunne: So the play that practice was designed for the receiver to continue his route into the tent? I don't follow. https://t.co/SWzcF7dNwW

Yeah, that's a pretty dumb statement. I don't know why he would advocate dismissing anything.

Because it fits the narrative that's been created. I think Taylor is the guy at this point and that would be more than fine with me, but one would think EJ is the worst QB known to mankind and it's far from the case. He's had many good moments. He's been too inconsistent. Like many young QB's. He's also a guy who needed time for development, something Kolb's injury affected. And perhaps coaching/lack thereof of Marrone's staff.

I think EJ is really being put in situations to continue to develop him.

Edited by purple haze

Sarcasm bruh sarcasm

He's had many good moments. He's been too inconsistent. Like many young QB's. He's also a guy who needed time for development, something Kolb's injury affected. And perhaps coaching/lack thereof of Marrone's staff.

I think EJ is really being put in situations to continue to develop him.

This is what I don't understand about him.. He's had games where he completed over 70% of his pass attempts. You just don't know what you're going to get form week to week.

there is considerable similnamr game tape from the previous 2 years...does that matter?

I like Tyler but didn't learn anything new with this segment.

And I wasn't persuaded by his argument that the Bills will start TT. According to him, the Bills leaders are risk takers and gamblers so they'll go with TT because he's the biggest risk and gamble? It's not convincing logic.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Tyler Dunne: "Some receivers have told me they think Tyrod throws the ball a bit harder than the other QBs on the team" or words to that effect.

Interesting, as we know EJ has a strong arm.

But unfortunately he didn't get the qualification on whether that was a good thing, or a bad thing, for the receivers who mentioned that.

TT also has a canon for an arm. Perhaps EJ has developed a bit more touch over the past couple years--he does have a bit more gameday experience than TT. But I believe TT can develop the touch, if indeed the receivers are complaining about the hard throws.

This thread is comprised of some people saying, "oh preseason doesn't matter?" and other people saying, "oh so practice doesn't matter then?"

THEY BOTH MATTER.

Damn right. It's not a bit surprise to me, despite all of his talent, Iverson was never a member of a championship NBA team. (And if I'm mistaken about that, I'm pretty sure he was never a big part of a championship team.)

Hope Dareus takes his frustrations out on opposing teams this season. A deal is inevitable here imo. No way we let one of the young, premier DT's in the league walk.

You mean like we would never let one of the "young, premier" left tackles in the league go? . . . Everytime I see the Eagles play I get a bitter taste in my mouth.

It's going to be funny when the love affair with Taylor is over. The same people that have annointed him the savior, will jump ship when things get ugly, and they will. I recall it happening last year with Orton. Edited by DirtDart

We talkin bout practice man. Not the game. Not the game. Not the game. We talkin bout practice man. I know it's funny to me too. We talkin bout practice man.

Edited by xsoldier54