Reporter shot and Killed on Live TV in VA

so he was sparked by the coverage of a killing that was committed by someone that was sparked by the trayvon killing/coverage.... great cycle starting here.

that was fed by the mass media.

look at the post on PPP I made which high lights a story just released an hour ago by ABC - the same station victimized by this. The story highlights how minorities, specifically blacks, are still suffering from Katrina in New Orleans and Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown impact them there.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/178954-church-shooting/page-57?do=findComment&comment=3647492

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as for the study data you're mentioning, what exactly is the definition of "mental illness" there? It's starting to feel like a very broad term that catches just about everything. The numbers your stating aren't really possible as I'm sure there are plenty of mentally ill who do not commit suicide, but I realize that you're trying to say there.

The definition of "mental illness" is an affective disorder specified in the DSM III or DSM IV. I've seen more than a dozen studies; the least correlative was that, out of approximately 75 cases (don't have it in front of me, going from memory), 3 of them could not definitively be diagnosed as being mentally ill.

The bolded: you're misunderstanding. A high correlation between suicide and mental illness means "people who commit suicide are almost always mentally ill." That does not mean the reverse - "people who are mentally ill almost always commit suicide" - is true. It's like saying "All BMW drivers are !@#$s," which does not mean that all !@#$s drive BMWs (since a lot of !@#$s drive lowered pickup trucks as well.)

How they caught him... amazing

VA State Patrol officer parked on offramp for several minutes along I81 and 66 (if you know the area) and had license plate identification device going. getting constant updates on suspect vehicle, got his info and her device said the vehicle went by less then 3 minutes ago, she caught up to him and got other troopers to assist.

he then killed himself, saving us all much time and money.

the father found out via text message. his daughter did not message him this morning as she does every day. he got messages from coworkers to update him.

Edited by Boyst62

How they caught him... amazing

VA State Patrol officer parked on offramp for several minutes along I81 and 66 (if you know the area) and had license plate identification device going. getting constant updates on suspect vehicle, got his info and her device said the vehicle went by less then 3 minutes ago, she caught up to him and got other troopers to assist.

he then killed himself, saving us all much time and money.

the father found out via text message. his daughter did not message him this morning as she does every day. he got messages from coworkers to update him.

I cant even imagine the heartbreak the familes must be going through right now

CBF

I cant even imagine the heartbreak the familes must be going through right now

CBF

My wife rides her little scooter through crummy parts of Oakland every day coming home from BART. I've prepared myself for that notification for awhile now. :cry:

The definition of "mental illness" is an affective disorder specified in the DSM III or DSM IV. I've seen more than a dozen studies; the least correlative was that, out of approximately 75 cases (don't have it in front of me, going from memory), 3 of them could not definitively be diagnosed as being mentally ill.

The bolded: you're misunderstanding. A high correlation between suicide and mental illness means "people who commit suicide are almost always mentally ill." That does not mean the reverse - "people who are mentally ill almost always commit suicide" - is true. It's like saying "All BMW drivers are !@#$s," which does not mean that all !@#$s drive BMWs (since a lot of !@#$s drive lowered pickup trucks as well.)

At this point this is all about semantics, but correlation does in fact work both ways. But anyway, I see where the whole thing's coming from now, they looked only among suicide cases, so obviously they can't draw any conclusion about those who did not commit suicide.

My wife rides her little scooter through crummy parts of Oakland every day coming home from BART. I've prepared myself for that notification for awhile now. :cry:

No offense, Chef, but... if things are that dangerous for your wife, why don't you move??

No offense, Chef, but... if things are that dangerous for your wife, why don't you move??

It's not that dangerous where we live just where she has to drive through to get home. We have a world class view of the SF Bay, Downtown SF, The Bay and GG bridges and a house that's nearly doubled in value since we bought it 3 years ago.