Reporter shot and Killed on Live TV in VA

You have nothing to contribute except calling people names because youre paranoid they are threatening your toys. Keep it up. Youre really shining.

Youre so scared and pathetic that you ignore an entire post and focus on the one thing you think you can criticize.

Another typical, overly paranoid gun lover who thinks hes a badass. Ran away to Alaska too. Classic.

:lol:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have nothing to contribute except calling people names because youre paranoid they are threatening your toys. Keep it up. Youre really shining.

Youre so scared and pathetic that you ignore an entire post and focus on the one thing you think you can criticize.

Another typical, overly paranoid gun lover who thinks hes a badass. Ran away to Alaska too. Classic.

Wasn't that one thing the crux of your argument and also incorrect?

From all accounts?

Is America a completely secured island? Does Australia have organized gangs that have tentacles in every major city in the country? How would Australian gun laws work in a country with 15 times the population that's far more concentrated than the United States?

Again, the average American who isn't in a gang or part of the drug culture has about the same likelihood of being a victim of violent crime as the would pretty much anywhere in the world. We like to take incidents like this and pretend they are the norm because the media loves the blood but there's zero reality to it.

Notice how that bit always goes unaddressed?

A lot of people are asking how gun control laws can come into effect.

I'm not saying that this is the right way, and Lord knows I hate to use the Aussies as shining examples, but this is how Australia did it. (And from all accounts, it's been very successful.)

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/19/world/us-australia-gun-control/

This^^^ Why not give it a chance? Burden and inconvenience the "good" gunner owners? Well, something has to give, somebody has to suffer. They will get over it, just like when a parent has to be a parent to their child.

As I said earlier, if you're going to pick a poster story for gun control pick one where the crime couldn't have been committed without the gun.

Not making this a "poster story", but it is a good opportunity to have a discussion. You think it would be so easy with a knife that he couldve filmed the whole thing, killed 2 people, and walked away? He probably wouldve gotten the cameraman. The reporter is a toss up.

Violence can and will always happen. No need to make it so efficient and easy.

And back to my question: a system to flag this guy, twice, wouldnt have helped at all? In absolutely no way?

This^^^ Why not give it a chance? Burden and inconvenience the "good" gunner owners? Well, something has to give, somebody has to suffer. They will get over it, just like when a parent has to be a parent to their child.

Easy to say. How about I vote for a law that takes 4/5ths of your income and gives it to 4 inner city families? Somebody has to suffer for the greater good. You'll get over it.

Edited by FireChan

Gug, you're a good dude, and a pretty smart guy when you want to be, but when you let your emotions get the better of you, you start talking in hyperbolic absolutes.

Nobody's suggesting flooding the streets with guns is a good idea, but it is a net gain when responsible people learn how to properly use a gun and arm themselves. I believe that and I'm not a gun manufacturer.

I appreciate the civil response, Rob. Yeah ... I may have gone to the extreme. I'm not anti-gun ownership. I do think that there are too many guns out on the street, though - hence my belief that more guns are not the answer.

Yes ... guns in the hands of responsible people is not a bad thing. I agree with that.

Identifying those who can/will properly use a gun and arm themselves, hunt, target-shoot, collect ... that's what we need to figure out. Obviously, there's no exact science to that.

But states with lax laws that allow any air breather to legally obtain a firearm are a big part of the problem, in my opinion. It's not like a gun legally purchased in Texas is going to necessarily stay in Texas.

I've seen lots of local programs that allow people to bring in unused guns for gift cards, or cash. Those are guns that can no longer harm people. We need more of that.

Then there needs to be better enforcement of already-existing gun laws so guns aren't legally obtained by those who shouldn't have them.

Then all states need to adopt those laws, if they don't have them, and enforce them properly.

This isn't a problem that's going to go away in our lifetime. But it's pretty irresponsible to continue to turn a blind eye.

So yeah ... less guns is what we can try to achieve now, in my opinion. And making sure guns don't legally end up in the hands of mentally ill people would be a great next step. This has nothing to do with today's shooting, mind you; I'm just speaking generally.

I just think there are some quick wins to be had. I don't think guns are bad, per se; and I certainly don't think all gun owners are bad.

But less guns, to me, would naturally equate to less gun-related deaths.

So your only suggestion really is more guns. Thanks, but no thanks.

My suggestion (arm yourself) is proven to work. Your suggestion (new laws) is proven to not work. Gun fans already jump through incredible hoops to get a gun and ammo. Why don't we get the gun haters to take a class or two. Pick up a handgun. Take it to the range. Try it out. I beg you completely dig it.

But hey...at least I'm not calling you a retarded a-hole.

Not making this a "poster story", but it is a good opportunity to have a discussion. You think it would be so easy with a knife that he couldve filmed the whole thing, killed 2 people, and walked away? He probably wouldve gotten the cameraman. The reporter is a toss up.

And back to my question: a system to flag this guy, twice, wouldnt have helped at all? In absolutely no way?

Dylann Roof's name ring a bell, Chachi?

I'm sure you took the FBI's apology and promise to "do it better next time" to heart.

More laws please!

Let me guess, you think Hillary Clinton is innocent, too?

My suggestion (arm yourself) is proven to work. Your suggestion (new laws) is proven to not work. Gun fans already jump through incredible hoops to get a gun and ammo. Why don't we get the gun haters to take a class or two. Pick up a handgun. Take it to the range. Try it out. I beg you completely dig it.

And I appreciate it.

But Ive been to plenty of ranges. Ive taken classes (ok, 1 class). Ive shot plenty of guns. You dont live in Georgia for 10 years without doing so. Still think its all stupid. Sorry.

So it's okay to exploit these incidents to "start a dialogue" on the issue, but it's only appropriate to represent one side of the debate? Can you walk me through that one?

I dont know how you want me to answer this question Rob.

It may not be appropriate or fair to represent just one side of the debate.

But I sure as hell am not going to argue in favor of the right to bear arms amendment.

Chicago and Baltimore absolutely beg to differ.

Don't worry if we ban guns (like drugs and illegal immigrants), criminals won't ever get them and everyone will be safe. Just like laws have eliminated the need to worry about illegal immigration and drugs. Don't we all feel better now?

<_<

No, go back and try reading. The crux of my argument had nothing to do with lobbyists. Thats just the one thing Darrin decided to comment on.

Okay, looks like I'm going to have to spell it out.

Your argument was that we need new laws,

Because the old laws are ineffective.

Because of lobbyists.

The bolded line is your starting point, with it being clearly incorrect, it invalidates the justification of the other two lines.

Edited by FireChan

****. He could have clocked that cameraman in the head with a tire iron before anyone knew he was a threat, then he's got two startled chicks in arms reach. He could take one out before she even processed what had happened, and if the third took off I'm sure he could have run her down.

Not to say a gun wouldn't be easier, but it's not remotely clear that this could have been avoided by keeping a gun out of this guy's hands.

How is it proven to work?

Assuming the crew had guns too, then it could have been a massacre, possibly injuring/killing many more people.

So everyone walking around with a gun will create less violence?? Really?