Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter

Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances that Tyrod Taylor can become a "franchise" QB in 2015?

Yea I think Wilson is the epitome of how a QB with those skills should play. He makes up for every limitation with being so smart in the pocket and when to run. He also knows the reads to make and almost never makes mistakes. We would be lucky if TT become 60% of him. But he may need time. They are similar in size/strength. The rest is between the ears.

To me Wilson and Taylor play roles similar to the top point guards in the NBA. If you want to compare to current NBA players, Wilson is Chris Paul. At this point Taylor is C.J. Watson. They play same role, are similar in height, similar speed. Not really similar players though. One is brilliant and is the difference between winning and losing. The other is competent, but is not the difference in a team winning or losing.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your definition of a "Franchise QB" is an outlier.

Andrew Dalton is in "Top half of the league". Andy Dalton is not a "franchise QB"

Alex Smith is in the "Top half of the league" Alex Smith is not a "franchise QB".

Most Commonly a franchise QB is someone that is better than an "average" or "Top Half" or "middle of the pack" QB."

Franchise QB to me is a guy that is an unquestioned starter that is better than 1/2 the guys. It's the same for other positions.

Another way to look at it is "will ____ enter 2016 without competition for the starting role?"

Franchise QB to me is a guy that is an unquestioned starter that is better than 1/2 the guys. It's the same for other positions.

Another way to look at it is "will ____ enter 2016 without competition for the starting role?"

That's an interesting way to look at it. Personally for me I think of Franchise as a little better than that. I wouldn't call Dalton anywhere close to being a franchise QB. Tannehill may be in the future. Alex Smith to me is not a franchise QB, he's pretty good and you can win with him and he can put up decent numbers.

Can you call any QB on a poor team a franchise QB? I seriously don't know. A lot probably has to do with the quality of the Franchise itself.

I think your definition of a "Franchise QB" is an outlier.

Andrew Dalton is in "Top half of the league". Andy Dalton is not a "franchise QB"

Alex Smith is in the "Top half of the league" Alex Smith is not a "franchise QB".

Most Commonly a franchise QB is someone that is better than an "average" or "Top Half" or "middle of the pack" QB."Franchise QB to me is a guy that is an unquestioned starter that is better than 1/2 the guys. It's the same for other positions.

By your definition in 2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick was a "franchise QB" to be discarded 365 days later.

Like I said I believe your definition of "Franchise QB" is unusually generous.

It is commonly much much higher.

Can you call any QB on a poor team a franchise QB? I seriously don't know. A lot probably has to do with the quality of the Franchise itself.

Matt Ryan is to me. Drew Bree's certainly is. There are some other examples.

By your definition in 2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick was a "franchise QB" to be discarded 365 days later. Like I said I believe your definition of "Franchise QB" is unusually generous. It is commonly much much higher.

Don't get hung up on the semantics. It was a term used and then defined to level the playing field for those voting. It wasn't to debate the term. It was "can he play at ____ level?"

So, it seems that we've lost sight of the point of here.... how do you feel about Tyrod? I'm eager to see more, that's for sure. I'm most interested in seeing throws from the pocket. The other stuff is great and exciting, but we need to know he can hang in and hit the right guy in stride. Top 50% of starters? We need to see some more from the pocket.

I'm ready to go all in on Tyrod. Screw and playing not to lose. Go balls out.

I'm a little hesitant about Tyrod simply because he's never started an NFL game where he saw anything but a vanilla D and the D schemed for him. That doesn't mean he couldn't/wouldn't very well be successful but I'm not sure I'd go all in on him. Of course, they don't have to, they have a fallback in Cassel (or EJ) if he struggles.

I'm ready to go all in on Tyrod. Screw and playing not to lose. Go balls out.

Tyrod's got the goods and will deliver. I'm 65% confident, and that's coming from a Bills fan. I've been burned before. This guy's the one. We're going to have a long future together. I'm 65% certain.

I'm a little hesitant about Tyrod simply because he's never started an NFL game where he saw anything but a vanilla D and the D schemed for him. That doesn't mean he couldn't/wouldn't very well be successful but I'm not sure I'd go all in on him. Of course, they don't have to, they have a fallback in Cassel (or EJ) if he struggles.

I've seen more than enough preseasons where we spend all our time making excuses for the crap we see. Tyrod has been a fresh of breath air.

To me Wilson and Taylor play roles similar to the top point guards in the NBA. If you want to compare to current NBA players, Wilson is Chris Paul. At this point Taylor is C.J. Watson. They play same role, are similar in height, similar speed. Not really similar players though. One is brilliant and is the difference between winning and losing. The other is competent, but is not the difference in a team winning or losing.

Thats a good comparison. Wilson is definitely Chris Paul. Maximizes his ability by being a brilliant player. Hopefully we can get Taylor to be Eric Bledsoe instead of CJ Watson.

Guaranteed to lead his team to the playoffs consistently numerous times and not a 1 year wonder

Guaranteed to lead his team to the playoffs consistently numerous times and not a 1 year wonder

Everyone is hung up on "franchise QB." The point of this thread wasn't to define what franchise QB means because everyone's interpretation is so different. The question is "how confident are you that Tyrod can play in the top 1/2 of the league and be the unquestioned starter moving forward?"

I love the analogy but Taylor is more Dante Exum or Zach Levine. He has some elite physical skills but hasn't yet played up to them. Those guys were both drafted extremely raw but with big potential. They may never be more than role players (the equivalent of an NFL back up) but could also develop into all-stars.

The only thing that I don't like about using those guys is that they are really big for the position. Either way, your point is well taken and an interesting perspective.

The thing about Tyrod I consider in his favor that is not mentioned is that he spent 4 years in Baltimore on the bench mostly backing up Joe Flacco. That is not wasted time......its time to learn the game at the pro level. Recall, Brett Farve spent a couple of seasons as a backup.....and the old paradyme of how to bring on a QB is to let him learn for a season or two or three. Aaron Rodgers sat behind Farve for 2 or 3 years, and it didn't hurt him at all. So, Tyrod Taylor may not have a lot of starts under his belt, but he has been seasoned (as they say) in the old time method. My biggest concern is whether his style of play will allow him to play a full season, or will he get hurt.....if he runs, he will take more hits than a pocket QB.

Everyone is hung up on "franchise QB." The point of this thread wasn't to define what franchise QB means because everyone's interpretation is so different. The question is "how confident are you that Tyrod can play in the top 1/2 of the league and be the unquestioned starter moving forward?"

I love the analogy but Taylor is more Dante Exum or Zach Levine. He has some elite physical skills but hasn't yet played up to them. Those guys were both drafted extremely raw but with big potential. They may never be more than role players (the equivalent of an NFL back up) but could also develop into all-stars.

The only thing that I don't like about using those guys is that they are really big for the position. Either way, your point is well taken and an interesting perspective.

You just defined "franchise QB" the way you wanted it defined for the poll, which was the point I was making. It's easier to give an opinion if one understands the question being asked. If you had asked, "what are the chances Tyrod plays like a QB in the top half of the league this year" my vote would have been very different.