Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter

Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances that Tyrod Taylor can become a "franchise" QB in 2015?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did it last week for EJ and apparently it wasn't without bias. Let's apply the exact same question to Tyrod.

There is so much talk on the topic that I thought that a poll may be appropriate. What are the odds in your opinion that Tyrod Taylor can be a "franchise" type QB this year? As a baseline I would say, Alex Smith / Ryan Tannehill represent the low end. Basically what are the odds that he can achieve that level of play.

Careful Kirby, a small vocal segment of this population had me tarred & feathered for offering my % on EJ's potential for success a couple off seasons ago.

Regarding Taylor my main concern is his health. I really believe that the rest will take care of itself with more experience.

I love me some Tyrod.

Still wouldn't change my vote from 1-25%

I'd downgrade from 1-25% to 0%. I think he's done well too but the question was if he'd become a franchise QB in 2015 and clearly the answer is NO.

Hopefully he'll become one in 2016 or 2017.

Edited by KD in CT

I'd downgrade from 1-25% to 0%. I think he's done well too but the question was if he'd become a franchise QB in 2015 and clearly the answer is NO.

Hopefully he'll become one in 2016 or 2017.

I disagree. I believe the correct answer is 100%, since he was in fact the franchise's #1 quarterback in 2015.

The question didn't specify #1 so by that criteria we can say EJ was a franchise QB too.

No, but it did specify "franchise quarterback." And rarely is your franchise quarterback not #1 on the depth chart.

I am curious, though, how one "becomes" the franchise quarterback. Particularly in one season.

I think the universe where Alex Smith and Cutler are "Franchise QBs" is a universe I don't want to be in.

If you change the vote to "Average performing NFL Caliber Starting QB" which is what I would call Alex Smith and Cutler. (They are both certainly NFL Caliber starting QBs. Not at the top of their game but not below average. Whereas someone like Schaub or whoever is going to start in Houston is most certainly not an NFL caliber starting QB anymore. ) Then I would definitely change my vote to 76-99%.

TT deserves to play and likely deserves to start in the NFL. He has demonstrated that he is NFL caliber. Hopefully TT will only get better with more reps and build a resume where he consistently steps and performs in high pressure situations (which is what he did at VT). Consistently winning over an average replacement and consistently performing well in high pressure situation are two key qualities of a "Franchise" QB in my opinion. TT has certainly not demonstrated either but will likely be given the opportunity to prove that in 2016. Imo there is 1-25% chance he proves he is a "Franchise QB"

Again, it is semantics. There are 32 starters in the NFL and we classified pretty much any team not looking to upgrade their starting QB as having a franchise QB. It was the easiest baseline to establish. That is so much easier than saying "is he top 10?" Your top 10 may be different from mine, who differs from Yolo, who differs from Bandit, etc... Ignore the words "franchise QB" if that is what has you hung up and view it as "how confident are you that TT should be unchallenged as a starter heading into 2016?"

Please, please, please people do not give me the "you should always look to upgrade" or "everyone should be challenged" garbage. The Panthers for example want a good back up QB but they are not out there seeking someone to be an upgrade from Cam. That is what I am asking. Should the Bills be looking for a 1st round QB to compete for the starting job or should they be looking for depth behind him.

He was the difference maker in the Tenn. game. Taylor turned it on in the 4th and lead the Bills to victory.

There is not one game i can say 'Taylor is the reason we lost that game'. There were some games we played way to conservatively and thus i think Taylor held back. I hope that Taylor and Roman continue developing the passing game. One that includes heavy doses of Watkins and Clay. Clay will be huge next year if healthy.

No, but it did specify "franchise quarterback." And rarely is your franchise quarterback not #1 on the depth chart.

I am curious, though, how one "becomes" the franchise quarterback. Particularly in one season.

I guess it is when you make the playoffs consistently. Which is why certain QB's fall out of favor with fans because it is assumed they aren't getting it done. So the question really is does the franchise qb make the playoffs? Or do the playoffs make the franchise QB?

Edited by What a Tuel

Regarding Taylor my main concern is his health. I really believe that the rest will take care of itself with more experience.

I love a dual threat, but I prefer an available QB and offensive MVP. He can be the guy, if he can stay on the field. Much more than I expected for sure, especially with the deep ball and the ability to run for a first down. PLEASE learn how and when to slide and duck!

I don't even know why the hell we want a franchise quarterback. I think we should own all of our quarterbacks outright ourselves and keep all the money instead of franchising them, like In-n-Out burger does.

But, what is a Tom Brady franchise worth? Peg's got the Bucks!

The four best running QBs in the league rarely get hurt. Newton, Wilson, Kap and Alex Smith. Throw Aaron Rodgers in there, too. Granted, Newton and Kap are big guys but that doesn't seem to matter as far as RBs go. The bigger guys don't get hurt any less. Not to mention that at 6'1 215, TT is the size of a lot of RB, and he is built, as well as a weight lifting madman. Shady measured 5'10" 198 at combine.

The one time TT got really hurt running this year was on a clothesline tackle, which is a flagrant penalty in the NFL and all levels of football ONLY because it dramatically increases the chance that the player is going to be injured, which he was, and had zero to do with size.

We did it last week for EJ and apparently it wasn't without bias. Let's apply the exact same question to Tyrod.

There is so much talk on the topic that I thought that a poll may be appropriate. What are the odds in your opinion that Tyrod Taylor can be a "franchise" type QB this year? As a baseline I would say, Alex Smith / Ryan Tannehill represent the low end. Basically what are the odds that he can achieve that level of play.

I don't have a tendency to have an inflated view of the players on the Bills. But with TT I am going to jump the gun. I believe that he is capable of being a Russell Wilson lite type of player.

What isn't there to like? He throws a beautiful ball, especially the long pass, he is accurate, is smart and has good instincts. He is a high character person and commands respect from his teammates. My only concern is his durability. While others encourage him to run (stop it NYC Bill) I want him to be more cautious.

This next season should be very telling as to whether he will make the leap forward. If he shows that he can work the hole field including the middle and work with an expanded playbook then my optimistic level would exponentially rise.

I don't have a tendency to have an inflated view of the players on the Bills. But with TT I am going to jump the gun. I believe that he is capable of being a Russell Wilson lite type of player.

What isn't there to like? He throws a beautiful ball, especially the long pass, he is accurate, is smart and has good instincts. He is a high character person and commands respect from his teammates. My only concern is his durability. While others encourage him to run (stop it NYC Bill) I want him to be more cautious.

This next season should be very telling as to whether he will make the leap forward. If he shows that he can work the hole field including the middle and work with an expanded playbook then my optimistic level would exponentially rise.

Agreed. I put this in another thread but it should probably go here...

A couple times over the last few years I wrote an extended post about why Russell Wilson was a freak of nature, and there would never be another one of him. And it's possible that I was wrong and Tyrod Taylor will be that unthinkable player.

The reasoning behind the original posts was because even though Wilson was short, he excelled at virtually every other possible attribute of a QB and there was virtually no one else like that outside of Aaron Rodgers.

Wilson has a cannon for an arm.

Wilson is accurate short, medium, and long.

Wilson can run great, he can scramble great, he can throw accurately on the run going either way.

Wilson is an excellent ball handler on play fakes and zone reads.

Wilson is a great student of the game, studies film like a maniac, practices hard, is a great leader, good in the huddle, beloved by teammates and coaches for the most part, is like a coach on the field.

Wilson is smart and can read defenses and knows where to go with the ball.

Wilson doesn't panic when down or is having a bad game and keeps his demeanor the same regardless of the situation.

Wilson is small but built well and tough. He doesn't take any more big hits than most other QBs.

Wilson is not a madman off the field and is a great face of the franchise.

Wilson is a winner even when he is not having a great statistical game. He wins games and wins big games.

Wilson runs the hurry up well and is in complete control at all times.

Wilson was great in college and in his senior year had one of the greatest seasons any QB has ever had.

There isn't anything he is not very good at.

The thing is, Tyrod has most of those same qualities.

He needs to prove he can read defenses.

He needs to prove he can run a hurry up.

He needs to prove he can win games and win big games.

But he has most of those same qualities. it's possible lightning struck twice.

The four best running QBs in the league rarely get hurt. Newton, Wilson, Kap and Alex Smith. Throw Aaron Rodgers in there, too. Granted, Newton and Kap are big guys but that doesn't seem to matter as far as RBs go. The bigger guys don't get hurt any less. Not to mention that at 6'1 215, TT is the size of a lot of RB, and he is built, as well as a weight lifting madman. Shady measured 5'10" 198 at combine.

The one time TT got really hurt running this year was on a clothesline tackle, which is a flagrant penalty in the NFL and all levels of football ONLY because it dramatically increases the chance that the player is going to be injured, which he was, and had zero to do with size.

I don't disagree with any of that, but he's so important we can't afford to have him take the hit rather than slide. He pushes it sometimes, which I LOVE when he pops up. Newton has 50 pounds on him and Wilson a master of avoiding the hit. Tyrod won't get much bigger, please give my heart a break and duck a little sooner!

Agreed. I put this in another thread but it should probably go here...

A couple times over the last few years I wrote an extended post about why Russell Wilson was a freak of nature, and there would never be another one of him. And it's possible that I was wrong and Tyrod Taylor will be that unthinkable player.

The reasoning behind the original posts was because even though Wilson was short, he excelled at virtually every other possible attribute of a QB and there was virtually no one else like that outside of Aaron Rodgers.

Wilson has a cannon for an arm.

Wilson is accurate short, medium, and long.

Wilson can run great, he can scramble great, he can throw accurately on the run going either way.

Wilson is an excellent ball handler on play fakes and zone reads.

Wilson is a great student of the game, studies film like a maniac, practices hard, is a great leader, good in the huddle, beloved by teammates and coaches for the most part, is like a coach on the field.

Wilson is smart and can read defenses and knows where to go with the ball.

Wilson doesn't panic when down or is having a bad game and keeps his demeanor the same regardless of the situation.

Wilson is small but built well and tough. He doesn't take any more big hits than most other QBs.

Wilson is not a madman off the field and is a great face of the franchise.

Wilson is a winner even when he is not having a great statistical game. He wins games and wins big games.

Wilson runs the hurry up well and is in complete control at all times.

Wilson was great in college and in his senior year had one of the greatest seasons any QB has ever had.

I vividly remember your original post. It made an impression on me after I saw TT in his first preseason game. I was very surprised at how good of a passer he was. My preconceived impression of him was that he was a scatter-armed running qb. I couldn't have been more wrong.

What makes me optimistic about TT is that he has a feel for the game. You can't teach instincts. You either have it or you don't. EJ and Losman both demonstrate the point that physical attributes will never compensate for a lack of a natural feel to the game.

Roman handled TT very smartly this season. He understood where TT was as a player and development stage. With an offseason of quality preparation and continued good coaching I am optimistic about his prospects. I'm not sure if he is going to take a quantum leap next year but if with more playing time he should at the minimum steadily improve. By next year we should have a great deal of clarity regarding the questions you pose about him.

Edited by JohnC