Can we judge Tyrod without skill position players...

GunnerBill

Many of us have been of the view that Thursday's game is the big one in terms of Tyrod's chances of making it stick as our starting Quarterback... however, given that the injury bug has bitten hard this week on our remaining healthy backs and receivers and Rex himself has admitted we will be somewhat limited in what we can run how reasonable is it to judge Tyrod?

As things stand his likely "1st team" receivers on Thursday will be Hogan, Goodwin and Deonte Thompson which Hogan apart are the same second team guys he played with last Friday.

The running back position is even more depleted... his first team running back is likely to be either Bronson Hill or Thigpen back there. How well they can keep the down and distance manageable will have a big say in how much Tyrod is being asked to do.

I presume if Roman does have some multiple tight end plays we will see them on Thursday! Let's hope our tight ends catch the ball!

My question is given that supporting cast can we really make any kind of firm definitive decisions on Tyrod based on Thursday....?

Thoughts folks?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us have been of the view that Thursday's game is the big one in terms of Tyrod's chances of making it stick as our starting Quarterback... however, given that the injury bug has bitten hard this week on our remaining healthy backs and receivers and Rex himself has admitted we will be somewhat limited in what we can run how reasonable is it to judge Tyrod?

As things stand his likely "1st team" receivers on Thursday will be Hogan, Goodwin and Deonte Thompson which Hogan apart are the same second team guys he played with last Friday.

The running back position is even more depleted... his first team running back is likely to be either Bronson Hill or Thigpen back there. How well they can keep the down and distance manageable will have a big say in how much Tyrod is being asked to do.

I presume if Roman does have some multiple tight end plays we will see them on Thursday! Let's hope our tight ends catch the ball!

My question is given that supporting cast can we really make any kind of firm definitive decisions on Tyrod based on Thursday....?

Thoughts folks?

Definitive, no. The evaluation isn't a total wash though. He might have Woods in addition to the guys you mentioned. I personally just want to see him go through progressions and stay in the pocket more. Good accuracy shouldn't be affected too much by who's out there, especially since he's been practicing with this group of receivers for the bulk of camp.

The lack of a rushing threat will hurt, but if he can overcome that and show well, it will be a big positive for him.

The Browns haven't been practicing with their top CB and FS and have injuries up and down their secondary. It may not be fair but injuries happen. That's why you evaluate about what Tyrod's doing not necessarily looking at stats blindly. It's why I don't care that Tyrod was exciting against Carolina and lead us to 2 TDs. Instead I saw him do little as a QB passing. The TD drives were lead by a strong running game by Tyrod and others and 1 maybe 2 passes by Tyrod. 1 of which was a great run after catch by Goodwin. The other Tyrod made a great play to avoid a sack ie his athleticism which blurs the line as to how good he is as a true passer. Yet in his 2 minte drill when the Panthers were less aggressive and Tyrod had a chance to damage them with moving the ball down the field with short, rhythm passing he failed. These are things that make me question him as a QB.

Thoughts folks?

If he is truly starter material he should shine regardless.

They are expecting a lot of guys back for the Steelers game so I think if Tyrod plays halfway decent he will get the next start too. Or at least some time with the 1's next game. He's in the driver's seat now so he would have to play pretty bad to blow it

Definitely will still get a good feel for him. The only part that really upsets me is the RB's, because it looks like Tyrod is the only serious run threat which removes an entire element of the offense for Roman. Ignoring that EJ was against the 3's and not the 1's, at least he had Bryce Brown and Karlos Williams for a quarter. But who knows, maybe one of these guys will step up and pull a CJ Anderson.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Well, I'm sure that the beat reporters will have it covered.

"Tyrod sacked but it would have been a huge gainer - perhaps for a touchdown if Sammy were in the game."

"Taylor badly missed a wide open Hogan that would have gone for big positive yards if he had a real number one in there."

"TT 1 for 20 tonight as Roman doggedly sticks with the passing game in spite of having two healthy RBs available."

"Tyrod continues to improve working on his reads, though he was forced to take several sacks because his protections broke down."

"Bills receivers and RBs not helping, but Tyrod takes command of the QB competition in spite of late flashes in the pan by other QBs."

"Writing on the wall, as Taylor goes 1 for 20, Cassel 6 for 8, and EJ 12 of 14. Rex to announce TT Week One starter and EJ being cut as early as this week?"

if your judgement is solely stat based, it will be challenging.

if you are a coach evaluating if he made the right adjustments at the line, post snap reads, and focusing on his mechanics and progressions, the weapons dont matter as much. heck, it could be easier due to the fact that he will have to do a little more potentially.

Edited by NoSaint

We should have Incognito back. Sammy, Woods, and Harvin and Clay should all play limited snaps, no? I think he should have enough weapons to succeed.

harvin not expected back until preseason game 3 or 4. I expect woods and clay to play. Not sure about Sammy, they might be very cautious there.

if your judgement is solely stat based, it will be challenging.

if you are a coach evaluating if he made the right adjustments at the line, post snap reads, and focusing on his mechanics and progressions, the weapons dont matter as much. heck, it could be easier due to the fact that he will have to do a little more potentially.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. You just said it better.

In the words of Barak, "Yes we can!" If he goes out there and still performs well then he's the starter. If he goes out there and has an off day they have something to attribute it to. A good performance against the other team's 1's without his would probably lock him in though.

As we've seen in practice the Browns don't have their starting secondary out there. That sounds even to me. What wouldn't have been a great evaluation was Watkins lining up opposite of Gaines and everybody going crazy that TT was hitting long gainers all night.

Thoughts folks?

Here's my thoughts. How is it OK to evaluate EJ Manuel playing with the 2s and 3s but not OK to evaluate Taylor with the same players? Injuries happen throughout a football season and a competent QB should be able to adjust to such adverse situations. This is where the "leadership" comes into play. A "leader" gets his team ready to play regardless of the circumstances.

Yes its easy to judge a QB even without the skill.. Maybe not for the fans but the coaches know what plays are called and where the ball should be and where the breakdowns happened and how he reacts to them.

Fans will probably react to stat sheet stuff, which is not the entire story and sometimes doesn't; even tell the story

Now what if Tyrod takes this band of 2nd stringers and marches them down the field multipe times.. That would be fun to see...

Here's my thoughts. How is it OK to evaluate EJ Manuel playing with the 2s and 3s but not OK to evaluate Taylor with the same players? Injuries happen throughout a football season and a competent QB should be able to adjust to such adverse situations. This is where the "leadership" comes into play. A "leader" gets his team ready to play regardless of the circumstances.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that he'll be playing behind the starting OLine and will have the starting TE. He's been practicing with them for the past three days so he should be just fine. It might help him go through his reads. If he takes a coverage sack or two or three or four, I'm sure the coaches will understand. The media certainly will.