Gilmore is not Revis

it was pretty obvious our biggest hole on defense on friday was the CB's. they were throwing deep go routes for fun vs them. they were in position but they don't know how to go up and fight for the ball. they were flat footed and didn't know where the ball was. i know this is something Donnie Henderson stresses to them so hopefully they can get it turned around (literally) in time for the season.

Well, part of that is the QB having 5 seconds to throw...that won't be the case in the regular season.

Everyone relax. The team's corners were fine last year, and they've added talent at the position and kept the same DB coach.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Gilmore rate out as like the 8th best CB in the league last year? Not sure where I saw that but that number is sticking in my head for some reason.

Football Outsiders had him as 13th: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/best-cornerback-stats-2014 . He's not on the chart for #1s, but if you read down they say that he was the next #1 on their list (12 are actually on the list). That's a good showing, and I bet that if they did it for the second half of the season, he'd be near the top.

This does make you wonder why Corey Graham ain't playing CB. I know he's not supposed to be a scheme fit, but my god, all he did was make plays last year.

Edited by dave mcbride

Well, part of that is the QB having 5 seconds to throw...that won't be the case in the regular season.

Everyone relax. The team's corners were fine last year, and they've added talent at the position and kept the same DB coach.

why do you say that? was there a gentelman's agreement that we wouldn't sack the QB that i don't know about?

Well - it's a bit more of a concern than that - Rex's defense is very dependent on excellent corner play. I remain concerned that Rex is (and has been) overrating Gilmore. He's a good CB. He's still a ways away from elite.

No offense meant to you but I'm guessing Rex has a much better idea his ability than you (or I)

why do you say that? was there a gentelman's agreement that we wouldn't sack the QB that i don't know about?

I think he's saying that Rex didn't want to show anyone his blitzes so he didn't run many at all. The assumption being that in the regular season we will be blitzing more than then can block thus the QB will not have much time.

Football is a wonderful combination of individual skills and teamwork. Defenses work as a unit, with shifts in position and alignments among many players at once. Our D line was stuffing runs but not showing anything toward rushing the QB. The D backs had to cover much longer than they would otherwise, and remember Newton is an excellent QB and he has excellent WRs. In a real game, the QB has less time to pass, the coverage schemes get a lot more sophisticated, and the unit tightens up. In theory at least. I am glad Darby is getting this work but the Bills need McKelvin back. They've gone from a very deep D backfield to a lot of uncertainty if there's one more injury to a starter.

You surprise me. You think that I don't know the difference between corners and safeties? Sure, let's pretend this is true.

In 2008, the Bills drafted CORNER BACK Leodis McKelvin at #11. Well, the next selection at 12 was Ryan Clady. Branden Albert went at 15, and someone named Joe Flacco went at 18. Great choice right? I mean after all, McKelvin is a corner, not a safety.

My point is and has been that ignorant, mindless moves such as these are directly responsible for the lack of playoffs for 15 years. We can pretend otherwise and point at certain wasted picks and say that the players are "good," but it doesn't change our dismal record.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2008

And btw, I believe that safeties are actually becoming more important in the league as time passes.

What surprises me Bill is that people openly admit the Levy-Jauron-Brandon-early Buddy-Gailey era were loaded with huge mistakes but they don't see the cause and effect of the picks.

McKelvin was necessary because the Bills let Nate Clements walk.

Everyone points out that Nate's play dropped off after a couple strong seasons in SF but losing him caused and up and coming team to drop from 7th to 27th in pass defense overnight, a lost season ensued, and the hole left behind created a desperate need to find a replacement.

But the Bills saved some of Ralph's money long term by not signing Clements. That is the justification.

The Bills are still feeling the effect of unnecessarily "saving" money on guys like Clements, Peters, Fletcher....even Pat Williams and Lawyer Milloy.

Because they then expended high picks to replace these guys when they should have been trying to improve on what they had.

And in each of the 5 cases above NONE of the draft picks they used was more useful than the player they let go.

The only such swap that even yielded a better player was trading McGahee and then using a top pick on Lynch......but of course they tanked that with the Spiller move.

The good news is that Pegula is going to sign those guys. Some of them will not play out their contracts, but at least they won't be back treading water.

Who started the Revis-Gilmore comparison?

I vaguely remember some article wondering if Gilmore could be the new Revis for Rex. But I don't recall anyone on this board projecting something similar. Maybe I missed it.

A lot of teams win a lot of games without a Revis quality corner on their team. I'm with the herd on this one. Gilmore isn't Revis, but he doesn't need to be. He's a good CB who's going to play behind a great DL.

Someone posted that Rex's defenses depend a lot on CB play. That's true to a point. Rex often leaves his CBs in man coverage and if the QB isn't being pressured, this could be problematic. But Rex's pass defenses are really predicated on pressure and we have the personnel to generate a lot of pressure.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Who started the Revis-Gilmore comparison?

I vaguely remember some article wondering if Gilmore could be the new Revis for Rex. But I don't recall anyone on this board projecting something similar. Maybe I missed it.

A lot of teams win a lot of game without a Revis quality corner on their team. I'm with the herd on this one. Gilmore isn't Revis, but he doesn't need to be. He's a good CB who's going to play behind a great DL.

Someone posted that Rex's defenses depend a lot on CB play. That's true to a point. Rex often leaves his CBs in man coverage and if the QB isn't being pressured, this could be problematic. But Rex's pass defenses are really predicated on pressure and we have the personnel to generate a lot of pressure.

exactly. To run the schemes he wants to run, he needs good CBs who can cover 1:1. He can't have non starting caliber CBs out there like he had last year. I don't think he necessarily needs a HOF CB or the best CB in the league.

I think the comparison came from the idea that Gilmore could play the "Revis role" ... Meaning can he shut down the #1 WR for the majority of the game, forcing the QB to need to look elsewhere. We have seen that he can. That doesn't mean he will never allow a catch until the end of time. It just means that he can match up on an island with the best WRs in the league and win the battle more often than not.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Football Outsiders had him as 13th: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/best-cornerback-stats-2014 . He's not on the chart for #1s, but if you read down they say that he was the next #1 on their list (12 are actually on the list). That's a good showing, and I bet that if they did it for the second half of the season, he'd be near the top.

This does make you wonder why Corey Graham ain't playing CB. I know he's not supposed to be a scheme fit, but my god, all he did was make plays last year.

David,

I think it is because Corey is getting older.....and they want to make sure their starting safeties are a strong group.....I actually applaud the bills forward thinking on this.

and

If an injury happens......Corey is versitile

I get the feeling that the bills are NOT sold on Duke WIllaims......who hits like a truck but appears to be having problems with coverage.....they are even starting to talk up Meeks who has been a ghost on this team since he was drafted

exactly. To run the schemes he wants to run, he needs good CBs who can cover 1:1. He can't have non starting caliber CBs out there like he had last year. I don't think he necessarily needs a HOF CB or the best CB in the league.

I think the comparison came from the idea that Gilmore could play the "Revis role" ... Meaning can he shut down the #1 WR for the majority of the game, forcing the QB to need to look elsewhere. We have seen that he can. That doesn't mean he will never allow a catch until the end of time. It just means that he can match up on an island with the best WRs in the league and win the battle more often than not.

Especially if the QB is feeling the need to get the ball out in 2.5 seconds or less.

Between our Pro Bowl front four, and Rex's exotic blitz packages, we should be able to make QBs feel nervous and/or get rid of the ball quickly more often than not.

On most plays, Gilmore will only need to stay with his man for less than 3 seconds. That doesn't require Revis-like lockdown ability.

It's a fair assessment of their careers to date... but Gilmore is still on his first contract. So it's a little early to make that definitive claim, no?

he won't make it. OBJ is the only youngster in the league that i think will make it.

he has so much hype and that is what gets your career started and that overshaddows on the field contributions.

Sherman will make it before Peterson for hype. OBJ will make it over Watkins, Evans and Benjamin.

he won't make it. OBJ is the only youngster in the league that i think will make it.

he has so much hype and that is what gets your career started and that overshaddows on the field contributions.

Sherman will make it before Peterson for hype. OBJ will make it over Watkins, Evans and Benjamin.

:lol::beer:

:lol::beer:

it's true. sadly.

unless Gilmore has a solid career and plays in a few post seasons then goes on to be a top on-air personality on a national show he won't get in it.

there are two ways in to the hall of fame. overhyped and preferably in a major market or national media personality attention whoring and being reasonably good. at this point, it won't be long before john gruden is in the HOF, because he's the best, like ever. just ask him.