Ronald Darby - how will he do?

As I've said in another thread, I do believe Rex has intentionally thrown Darby to the wolves in preseason to see what he can handle and how he reacts. I don't for one moment think Rex will risk his first game as Bills HC by leaving Darby on an island against Luck.

I have nightmare visions of a great white shark with an ugly Amish beard zeroing in on a piece of chum wearing a Bills uni #28. It's about the most unequal matchup I can imagine. I think the Bills may be good enuf to beat Indy straight up, let alone the line but Darby is singlehandedly capable of changing that in a split second. How many years did it take McKelvin to learn how to turn his head? For sure Rex will have to come up with something - or else.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nightmare visions of a great white shark with an ugly Amish beard zeroing in on a piece of chum wearing a Bills uni #28. It's about the most unequal matchup I can imagine. I think the Bills may be good enuf to beat Indy straight up, let alone the line but Darby is singlehandedly capable of changing that in a split second. How many years did it take McKelvin to learn how to turn his head? For sure Rex will have to come up with something - or else.

well he is certainly used to playing without any decent corners at all (last year), and had less talent at other key positions as well so at least it's not a new concept to him. Edited by YoloinOhio

Interesting folks are fixated on Rex. Donnie Henderson fixed Mckelvin among other things. He is an outstanding corner coach. He'll get Darby ready for the pros.

Let's not forget his dominant performance vs Carolina showing where he may go....

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

well he is certainly used to playing without any decent corners at all (last year), and had less talent at other key positions as well so at least it's not a new concept to him.

I agree Rex is the best at this sort of thing. I guess rolling coverage with help from a safety over the top would help since that way at least the play would be in front of Darby. He seems to me to have the most trouble when his back is to the LOS on deeper routes.

Now I'm super concerned. Back to back Andrew Luck and Tom Brady. Can't imagine a worse way for a rookie to completely lose all confidence in his abilities. We might end up seeing Graham drop back down to corner if McKelvin doesn't come back. This is going to be bad

I think Luck and Brady will pick on Darby early and often. And I am afraid the outcome is going to be big completions or big pass interference penalties.

If the d-line doesn't get immediate pressure in obvious passing situations, then Rex will need to be blitzing fairly constantly which comes with its own risks against quarterbacks like that.

I think Luck and Brady will pick on Darby early and often. And I am afraid the outcome is going to be big completions or big pass interference penalties.

If the d-line doesn't get immediate pressure in obvious passing situations, then Rex will need to be blitzing fairly constantly which comes with its own risks against quarterbacks like that.

What if he has Graham helping over the top and on the inside to ball-hawk and make plays?

As I've said in another thread, I do believe Rex has intentionally thrown Darby to the wolves in preseason to see what he can handle and how he reacts. I don't for one moment think Rex will risk his first game as Bills HC by leaving Darby on an island against Luck.

:thumbsup:

You are right to believe it, because that is exactly what Rex said. As in, those words came out of his mouth and he let us all know that was his plan. Part of the reason why I'm not freaking out about it like some folks.

- Long Term Outlook - Darby clearly has good speed and decent ball skills. He will be ok in the long run once he gets some experience. He's always going to be undersized but there have been plenty of good undersized CBs that have done well in the league.

- Short Term - I understand that Rex has been "throwing him to the sharks" in this preseason to toughen him up... but I really hope he schemes to give Darby some safety help for this Colts matchup. I'm quite certain Luck will eat us alive if we blitz all game and leave our corners on an island. If we are gonna blitz I think we should be doing the zero blitz

The refs are going to be Darby's worst enemy this season. Those big PI calls sometimes really change the outcome of the game, its pretty sad really. 15 years ago Darby would have been a much better "out of the box" CB.

These CB's have to be so careful now, it really messes up their game.

Edited by mastershake

What if he has Graham helping over the top and on the inside to ball-hawk and make plays?

I think they will try to get Darby in situations where he is going to be one on one with a receiver and then pick on him. I don't see how they can't try to do that. He has looked incredibly vulnerable in 2 out of 3 games. I would expect them to pick on him repeatedly until Darby or someone else on that defense makes them pay for it by getting a turnover when they try it. He appears to be the weakest link in the secondary. Wouldn't you target him if you were an offensive coordinator?

I'm worried that this kid is going to get lit up against Luck or anyone they expect him to cover 1-on-1 due to the Preseason games where he was continuously toasted. Outside of the preseason they must have seen enough in camp to say he can handle it. I did not attend so is there any others that did that can shed light on what type of player he is and can he handle that type of responsibility right away? I'm trying to trust the coaches on this one but i don't understand the move to make Darby CB2 when you have a veteran in Graham that has proven he can not only do the job but do it alone very well. It seems our depth at CB is our weakest spot on the D if Darby starts week 1.

According to Rex, he intentionally left Darby on an island with no safety help to give him experience. He mentioned it several times. I think it was great experience for him. Rex also said after the Pitt game that he wasn't worried about the pass defense.

What else is he going to say?