EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

The 1st snap in question was too hot with the 2nd coming too early. Both miscues were the fault of the center Kupper.

So tired of all the excuses made for EJ. First snap was a miscommunication between both QB and center. The second one is on EJ since he is responsible for making corrections on the field.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tired of all the excuses made for EJ. First snap was a miscommunication between both QB and center. The second one is on EJ since he is responsible for making corrections on the field.

Pure lunacy! The coaching staff said they were bad snaps, but you know better right?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Second snap was on the C. The rest of the o-line was not moving and EJ was still reseting the formation. Only the C thought the play was starting.

First snap was not as errant as I thought watching it live. It was definitley high and destined to be over his head, but in order to catch it one has to move their hands up which probably blocks their view of the ball much of the way. An even worse, higher snap can be seen the whole way and is probably easier to catch. I saw Winston bobble a similar snap in his first game. So, my theory is that it is in spot and at an angle/velocity that is tough to track.

I thought all 3 QB's had positives,

but until EJ gets time with 1's he's riding in the back seat to the other 2 at this point

But Roman as our OC has made a huge difference in how our Offense functions as a whole and that alone is the net positive we all needed to see

Rex stated at the start of camp the scrimmage would be treated like a preseason game. EJ had his "game" with the ones. I think the QB race was Tyrod Cassel and EJ headed into camp. By starting them in reverse order, it afforded them a longer opportunity to change Rex's and Romans minds before naming a starter before the 3rd preseason game. EJ has likely all but been eliminated as a starting candidate at this point.

why so much emphasis on the two botched snaps?

Did anyone notice the touchdown?

also a couple obvious drops by TE's.

And one bad throw, oh yeah after rolling out to avoid sack.

those 2 catches and he is 6 for 8.

Not sure why, he just looks the part to me, more than the other 2.

It seems to be a matter of inconsistency in the TC practices that the coaches have seen with EJ. When you couple that with the fact that the new regime brought in both Cassel and Tyrod, it's not that great of a leap that both of them would be preferred over the one holdover QB that they have no ties to.

Agreed...only the most staunch EJ-hater would say that he didn't play well on Friday.

I don't think that should mean a ton, except to say that he breathed some life into his chances at being considered for a significant role on this team.

Pure lunacy! The coaching staff said they were bad snaps, but you know better right?

Yes they were bad snaps. The second could of of been prevented if the QB did his job and corrected it in the huddle. It wasn't like it was road game where the were dealing with a hostile crowd. Common 26 your better than that !

Yes they were bad snaps. The second could of of been prevented if the QB did his job and corrected it in the huddle. It wasn't like it was road game where the were dealing with a hostile crowd. Common 26 your better than that !

Dude! Really?! This is crazy talk! If the QB says on two and the C snaps it on one, it's his fault? I seriously question your football acumen with this nonsense.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

How is the QB supposed to know that the C got the snap count wrong in his brain?

He looked good on Friday, but let's not get carried away that he looked the better part than the other three. He's in his 3rd training camp. He's supposed to be running circles around 3rd teamers. Same question can be asked of Webb, why is he stuck behind Derek Anderson when he had a better outing against the threes? Coaches see a lot more of the player than we do on the screen.

And if you want to nitpick, take a look at EJ's foot placement (lack thereof) on that TD pass. It was a beautiful pass that showed off his pure strength, but that kind of footwork will get him in trouble far more often.

Why are you blaming EJ for ONE offensive lineman not getting the snap count? You do know linemen move early on every team, on occasion, right? Is that always the QB's fault? In this case, it was a 3rd string guard who does not play much C. And he had just made a bad snap on the previous play. I'm guessing it was nerves on his part.

It's not the job of the QB, EJ or otherwise, to make sure everyone knows their jobs. Especially a center knowing when he should snap the ball. The again, Kupper hasn't played much center and that further reinforces that he was mostly at fault.

He looked good on Friday, but let's not get carried away that he looked the better part than the other three. He's in his 3rd training camp. He's supposed to be running circles around 3rd teamers. Same question can be asked of Webb, why is he stuck behind Derek Anderson when he had a better outing against the threes? Coaches see a lot more of the player than we do on the screen.

And if you want to nitpick, take a look at EJ's foot placement (lack thereof) on that TD pass. It was a beautiful pass that showed off his pure strength, but that kind of footwork will get him in trouble far more often.

Nailed it. Glad somebody else can see it.

Edited by old school

The 3rd game is the "dress rehearsal" for the season since both teams usually play their starters into the 3rd quarter. So unless EJ is the starter for the season, I doubt he gets a start again.

You're right of course. But as a fan who sees some potential in EJ, I'd love to see him work with the ones. In fact, I'd love to see all three work with the ones. I'm getting the feeling that won't happen.

It seems Rex and Roman have seen enough to narrow the QB race down to two.

not really getting carried away, " in my opinion" he just looks more of the Qb I would prefer to see.

- not a fan of a little guy that scrambles all the time

- Cassel is solid, just not very mobile

- EJ has the size, the arm strength, and can run "when necessary"

- now the story is he isn't as consistent as we would like, maybe this is true.

After watching the game, I am much happier with the QB situation than what has been reported throughout off season and camp.

I will be happy with, and route for whoever the coaches decide is best.

I just wonder if they like EJ more than letting on, maybe they don't want to show their hand until they need to.

Truthfully I have been in the camp of 'the best QB for the team' and while I have never been a fan of Cassel since his days with the Pats* I have been one to support EJ but even I can see he has virtually zero shot to win this starting QB job.

EJ just makes some maddening throws at times, and then he makes throws that few QB's can make. But despite this, his 58.6% completion percentage is widely criticized (and I can understand that) but Matt Cassel has a 59% completion percentage. So what is the real difference there? To me starting Cassel would be a mistake because we pretty much know what we will get. Orton from USC. Could the Bills win 10 with Cassel? If you factor in our huge coaching upgrade and better OL play to be expected, sure I can see that happening. But the ceiling isn't as high IMO when you compare it to EJ and Taylor.

EJ and Tyrod Taylor both have inaccuracy issues, but where Taylor separates himself is his poise, leadership in the pocket, and his ability to make a more explosive play with his feet. Ad Taylor has been in the NFL longer, and learned from Flacco and a top organization. That to me is huge. He is ahead of the curve. Could EJ blossom later in his career? Maybe. With the right coaching and working on the shorter throws, he can be.

But for now to be its clear: Start Tyrod Taylor Week 1 against Indy.

EJ just makes some maddening throws at times, and then he makes throws that few QB's can make. But despite this, his 58.6% completion percentage is widely criticized (and I can understand that) but Matt Cassel has a 59% completion percentage. So what is the real difference there? To me starting Cassel would be a mistake because we pretty much know what we will get. Orton from USC. Could the Bills win 10 with Cassel? If you factor in our huge coaching upgrade and better OL play to be expected, sure I can see that happening. But the ceiling isn't as high IMO when you compare it to EJ and Taylor.

EJ and Tyrod Taylor both have inaccuracy issues, but where Taylor separates himself is his poise, leadership in the pocket, and his ability to make a more explosive play with his feet. Ad Taylor has been in the NFL longer, and learned from Flacco and a top organization. That to me is huge. He is ahead of the curve. Could EJ blossom later in his career? Maybe. With the right coaching and working on the shorter throws, he can be.

But for now to be its clear: Start Tyrod Taylor Week 1 against Indy.

I agree with much of what you say. But let's face it EVERY QB makes some maddening throws--no exceptions. The problem, IMO, is that EJ hadn't been making enough of the good/great throws to compensate for the bad ones.

And while I agree Tyrod can make more things happen when the play breaks down, I think EJ shows great poise*---never seen him look flustered, actually. I have to admit I'm not sure what "leadership in the pocket" means, but EJ looked far better from the pocket, on Friday, than either Matt or Tyrod. Tyrod was amazing out of the pocket.

*But does he have "Chroise"?

not really getting carried away, " in my opinion" he just looks more of the Qb I would prefer to see.

- EJ has the size, the arm strength, and can run "when necessary"

And that's what got him drafted in the first round, and we're still waiting to see if those measurables will ever translate to a good QB on the field.

I agree with much of what you say. But let's face it EVERY QB makes some maddening throws--no exceptions. The problem, IMO, is that EJ hadn't been making enough of the good/great throws to compensate for the bad ones.

And while I agree Tyrod can make more things happen when the play breaks down, I think EJ shows great poise*---never seen him look flustered, actually. I have to admit I'm not sure what "leadership in the pocket" means, but EJ looked far better from the pocket, on Friday, than either Matt or Tyrod. Tyrod was amazing out of the pocket.

*But does he have "Chroise"?

Huh? :mellow::huh::blink:

Cassel looked pretty damn good in the pocket from what I saw, against the 1's also.

Huh? :mellow::huh::blink:

Cassel looked pretty damn good in the pocket from what I saw, against the 1's also.

Yes, they all looked "good". I think EJ looked the best of the three (and yes, it was against the 3's--and with his 3's) as he delivered the most impressive passes from the pocket

Dude! Really?! This is crazy talk! If the QB says on two and the C snaps it on one, it's his fault? I seriously question your football acumen with this nonsense.

How is the QB supposed to know that the C got the snap count wrong in his brain?

Look you don't have to try to convince me that Kupper sucks and will be looking for a job soon. Seriously i know Kupper botched those snaps albeit nerves, miscommunication, farted mid snap, or what have you. I was being sarcastic, and obviously did not come off as such.

I'm a Bills fan and I will root for whoever is the starter ends up being. I'm just tired of the EJ fanboy-ism by some and ready for the season to start.

Sick of the he is not getting credit for the beautiful TD ( in-spite of horrible footwork ) Its like winning the lottery !...

or then he is getting to much hate for throwing a bomb into the V.I.P tent. ... and like being struck by lightning, and in the same week !

How about the 5 botched snaps since camp started compared to how many by the rest of the QBs on the roster? They all have been together since OTA's. I guess being a leader and showing command in the huddle, and getting everyone on the same page pre-snap is only a prerequisite of a starting QB's in the league.

Save for the one under throw, what were EJ's mistakes? The 2 botched snaps by the center? The 3 dropped balls? Please tell me what I missed.

Well, I'm a little late in replying to this, but c'est la vie. Anyway, it was just the one under throw, but it was the nature of that under throw. He looked good otherwise, but the nature of that under throw is not something you can coach out of him. It's a case of the body just reacting. Granted, it may not happen often, but when it does happen, it happens when an athlete (in this case EJ) is trying to make something happen and they get anxious. It's a really, really bad problem to have. It's like a star pitcher who, every so often, just starts tossing totally wild pitches. That's fine in baseball when you play 162 games, but in football? A friend of mine said EJ could benefit from a bit of Phil Jackson mindfulness training.

Edited by MaineMoxie

Well, I'm a little late in replying to this, but c'est la vie. Anyway, it was just the one under throw, but it was the nature of that under throw. He looked good otherwise, but the nature of that under throw is not something you can coach out of him. It's a case of the body just reacting. Granted, it may not happen often, but when it does happen, it happens when an athlete (in this case EJ) is trying to make something happen and they get anxious. A friend of mine said he could benefit from a bit of Phil Jackson mindfulness training.

Even if EJ had gotten the pass to O'Leary, he'd just have dropped it. O'Leary's not even close to living up the hype and might not even make the PS.

Even if EJ had gotten the pass to O'Leary, he'd just have dropped it. O'Leary's not even close to living up the hype and might not even make the PS.

That's not the point, though. It doesn't matter who he was throwing to. The fact was that it was a really, really bad throw. He totally forgot his fundamentals on that play.

That's not the point, though. It doesn't matter who he was throwing to. The fact was that it was a really, really bad throw. He totally forgot his fundamentals on that play.

Guys- I think we all need to remember- it's about having fun... As long as they all have fun, that's the most important part....

No argument there. It was a bad throw.

Guys- I think we all need to remember- it's about having fun... As long as they all have fun, that's the most important part....

....And maybe some orange slices at half time.... And of course the Participation Trophies....

No argument there. It was a bad throw.

Right, every QB makes bad throws. Maybe the best way to explain it is a comparison to a baseball pitcher. Every pitcher can have an off night. But sometimes pitchers lose their control for unknown reasons (e.g. Steve Blass, Rick Ankiel). Now imagine a pitcher who loses his control for some unknown reason maybe once a game, at some random point in the game, but maybe regains it later. This inexplicable loss of control appears to be completely random. That's EJ. With only 16 games plus single-elimination playoffs, an unpredictable element is a bad thing in football.

The next QB we draft in May should feel pretty good knowing it doesn't take much to impress some fans with regards to QB play. Complete a few passes that you'd expect every competent passer to make and people will praise you.

Or miss one, out of eight, throws or don't become an instant success (while working with a poor offensive line and incompetent coaching) and you will be dubbed a bust/bum for life!

Edited by The Dean

Or miss one, out of eight, throws or don't become an instant success (while working with a poor offensive line and incompetent coaching) and you will be dubbed a bust/bum for life!

Instant QBs are not that much different from Instant Pudding. You just need to whip one up and poof....Super Bowl Baby!!!