Whaley on QB situation:team will know before its "announced"

**Let's be realistic**

How in the hell can EJ be the guy when he never lit it up in training camp or on the field? Don't give me that BS about the play calling, or bad coaching. EJ got all the coaching help he could get on the offseason, sat behind a veteran, and has all the good coaching he could ever need now. HOWEVER,

The guy struggled in preseason and the season last year and is continuing to struggle in training camp. EVEN when he was marginalized, he played arguably mediocre at best during last season and he's still not lighting it up in camp now after all of his so called improvements. Give me a freaking break and stop being delusional. Yep there's a chance a EJ is the guy -- but that would be slim from what all the scouts and analysts are saying. You have to be freaking kidding me if you're a Bills fan and looking at this stellar roster with the most important piece missing, and feel optimistic. You got to be freaking kidding me. The report after 2 days of training camp, is EJ Manuel is EXTREMELY inaccurate. He can't make simple throws in camp. SIMPLE routs. You can't start inaccurate QBs and even expect them to be a game manager.

If they don't work some offseason trade deal immediately and improve this situation, it doesn't matter how good this defense or all the rest of the offense is. QBs single-handedly are the most culpable for game changing plays - whether that's good or bad. You don't want this stellar roster wasted on somebody that is just not displaying the acceptable amount of talent. I think EJ is a great guy and a hard worker, but the same problems are recurring on the field. This is not good guys. He's not being consistent from the reports and the reports are he is throwing like a smaller weaker QB that can't see open guys down the field -- or that he doesn't put enough power in the ball to reach them.

**Let's be realistic**

How in the hell can EJ be the guy when he never lit it up in training camp or on the field? Don't give me that BS about the play calling, or bad coaching. EJ got all the coaching help he could get on the offseason, sat behind a veteran, and has all the good coaching he could ever need now. HOWEVER,

The guy struggled in preseason and the season last year and is continuing to struggle in training camp. EVEN when he was marginalized, he played arguably mediocre at best during last season and he's still not lighting it up in camp now after all of his so called improvements. Give me a freaking break and stop being delusional. Yep there's a chance a EJ is the guy -- but that would be slim from what all the scouts and analysts are saying. You have to be freaking kidding me if you're a Bills fan and looking at this stellar roster with the most important piece missing, and feel optimistic. You got to be freaking kidding me. The report after 2 days of training camp, is EJ Manuel is EXTREMELY inaccurate. He can't make simple throws in camp. SIMPLE routs. You can't start inaccurate QBs and even expect them to be a game manager.

If they don't work some offseason trade deal immediately and improve this situation, it doesn't matter how good this defense or all the rest of the offense is. QBs single-handedly are the most culpable for game changing plays - whether that's good or bad. You don't want this stellar roster wasted on somebody that is just not displaying the acceptable amount of talent. I think EJ is a great guy and a hard worker, but the same problems are recurring on the field. This is not good guys. He's not being consistent from the reports and the reports are he is throwing like a smaller weaker QB that can't see open guys down the field -- or that he doesn't put enough power in the ball to reach them.

You need to have more faith like the other EJ mother hens.

If they don't work some offseason trade deal immediately and improve this situation,

What QB would you have traded for? I don't like the situation the team is in, nobody does, but, really good QB's don't hit the open market. Want a "franchise QB?" You better draft him.

BTW...wouldn't it be more newsworthy if the team did not know who the QB was before announcing it? I suppose they could have a QB lottery.

Let's see...EJ gets 3 ping pong balls (one for being a past starter here, one for being the only 3rd year rookie QB in NFL history, one to compensate for his slow eyes). Meh gets 4 ping pong balls (one for being Meh, one for not starting on his college team, one for maintaining a close personal relationship with brady and one for being Meh). Tyrod gets 2 ping pong balls (one for our BuffaloHokie13 and one because of Rex' professed love of Taylor). Simms gets one ping pong ball for being the other Simms QB.

It's only day 2 and its against the best defense in football, but if this continues after a week then we must look elsewhere. Glennon, Mettenberger, Nasib, Cousins or even Vick are all possibilities. We have to trade for most of those guys but I believe those teams might be willing to swing a deal.

I hate to say it, but Sanchez is a better QB than anyone on our roster.

What QB would you have traded for? I don't like the situation the team is in, nobody does, but, really good QB's don't hit the open market. Want a "franchise QB?" You better draft him.

BTW...wouldn't it be more newsworthy if the team did not know who the QB was before announcing it? I suppose they could have a QB lottery.

Let's see...EJ gets 3 ping pong balls (one for being a past starter here, one for being the only 3rd year rookie QB in NFL history, one to compensate for his slow eyes). Meh gets 4 ping pong balls (one for being Meh, one for not starting on his college team, one for maintaining a close personal relationship with brady and one for being Meh). Tyrod gets 2 ping pong balls (one for our BuffaloHokie13 and one because of Rex' professed love of Taylor). Simms gets one ping pong ball for being the other Simms QB.

Edited by JTO

I agree with most of you that this team desperately needs a QB. The team has gone out and spent millions of dollars just to improve the roster, but as much as I hate being a pessimist I do not see us winning much. Who's to say that next year we will have a fantastic roster that we have today? Easy come easy go. With this in mind, I feel that we will not be able to capitalize with the QB situation that we have on hand.

It's like having a really fast car in Daytona 500 with a novice/incapable driver.

You have to love the pessimism on these threads. Our QB situation is dire because no one is lighting it up in camp, right? Would the negative Nancy's be happier if our QB (whomever it is) is dominating? That would essentially mean that our defense is garbage, which we know 100% is not the case. During the regular season, I expect that in only a couple of games that our opponents QB will look better than average to good. Given that, I would expect that all of our potential starting QB's will get a shot playing with the first team offense against the first team defense. Looking even just average is a good thing here. At this stage in the game, we just don't need another teams castoff/reject to essentially start over learning the playbook.

The report after 2 days of training camp, is EJ Manuel is EXTREMELY inaccurate. He can't make simple throws in camp. SIMPLE routs.

Not exactly the impression I'm getting from Astro's report - he's been ok, but not EXTREMELY anything.

I saw him throw a few nice balls on NFLN yesterday too [Eyeball Test Trump Card], FWIW.

New offense, new defenses for said new offense to work against.

Hmm. should be easy to reach conclusions second day of camp./s

What's wrong with you? We knew all the problem back in June! We didn't need to wait for camp to point it out. Edited by The Wiz

to reiterate above

So the Bills average QB's are having trouble against the Defense that gave Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Mannig, and Tom Brady*** in week 17 fits.

New offense, new defenses for said new offense to work against.

Hmm. should be easy to reach conclusions second day of camp./s

What's wrong with you? We knew all the problem back in June! We didn't need to wait for camp to point it out.

LOL :death:

**Let's be realistic**

I wish we could just somehow get you in front of these clowns Whaley and Ryan so you can coach them on how to get this done - and to admit how blind they are.

Everyone knows you need a good QB to win - why won't they just get one? It's clear that they built everything else on this team except QB on purpose.

Edited by Triple Threat

I wish we could just somehow get you in front of these clowns Whaley and Ryan so you can coach them on how to get this done - and to admit how blind they are.

Everyone knows you need a good QB to win - why won't they just get one? It's clear that they built everything else on this team except QB on purpose.

I was going to say the same thing in my last post, but went a different way. Can I just cut and paste this as a "stock response"?

It's only day 2 and its against the best defense in football, but if this continues after a week then we must look elsewhere. Glennon, Mettenberger, Nasib, Cousins or even Vick are all possibilities. We have to trade for most of those guys but I believe those teams might be willing to swing a deal.

From those you mention, Glennon strikes me as the best option. Over 19 games his performance in just about every statistical category is quite impressive for a young QB playing behind a bad line and without a strong backfield. He has a big arm that Ds have to respect. He distributes the ball effectively to his skill position players and he is good at not blowing himself up with mistakes, again something you have to like in a young QB. Don't know how high his ceiling is but looks to be a quality guy. And that's why the Bucs will probably not move him. Can you imagine going into the season with a raw first round rookie without a suitable backup. Who does that?

From those you mention, Glennon strikes me as the best option. Over 19 games his performance in just about every statistical category is quite impressive for a young QB playing behind a bad line and without a strong backfield. He has a big arm that Ds have to respect. He distributes the ball effectively to his skill position players and he is good at not blowing himself up with mistakes, again something you have to like in a young QB. Don't know how high his ceiling is but looks to be a quality guy. And that's why the Bucs will probably not move him. Can you imagine going into the season with a raw first round rookie without a suitable backup. Who does that?

I am stunned at the lack of respect for Seth Lobato!

:D

You have to love the pessimism on these threads. Our QB situation is dire because no one is lighting it up in camp, right? Would the negative Nancy's be happier if our QB (whomever it is) is dominating? That would essentially mean that our defense is garbage, which we know 100% is not the case. During the regular season, I expect that in only a couple of games that our opponents QB will look better than average to good. Given that, I would expect that all of our potential starting QB's will get a shot playing with the first team offense against the first team defense. Looking even just average is a good thing here. At this stage in the game, we just don't need another teams castoff/reject to essentially start over learning the playbook.

Except that the QBs still can't make throws with no defense.

I am unqualified to accurately assess QBs to the point where even commenting on a computer forum is a waste of everybody's time -- most of all my own. Instead I rely on the factual assertions of scouts, analysts, and reporters that report with a present sense impression. Those that I relied on were: Sal Capaccio, Vic Carucci, Mike Rodak, and John Kryk. Everyone of these reporters stated how inaccurate EJ Manuel was and is. It can't be that all these reporters have an agenda -- if anything Sal Capaccio was and still is hoping for EJ to pull through - but if you listened to him on WGR yesterday and the day before, he calls a spade a spade and reports exactly what he is seeing. I just don't understand how fans can be so gung-ho and optimistic on a quarterback that isn't performing well in even camp. The mechanical issues with EJ's throwing issues were supposed to be resolved. They apparently aren't.

I don't follow your logic. Why would having an excellent QB who is stellar equate to a horrible defense? Your assessment is conceptually bankrupt. Eight out of ten of the teams with a top 10 defense last year had an excellent QB (listed in the following from ascending to descending order): Seahawks, Lions, Broncos, 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, Chargers, Panthers. Only the Bills at number 4 and the Jets at number 6 didn't have a franchise QB. Furthermore two of these teams didn't draft their starting QB. So please enlighten me why having a top ten defense equates to having a horrible defense? Also explain to me how it is a bad thing to trade/acquire for a "reject" as you call them when two of these teams listed here with a top ten defense have a good franchise quarterback that was not acquired by means of a draft. I am interested in hearing your response with facts instead of opinions so that I can understand where you are drawing your conclusions from.

I am unqualified to accurately assess QBs to the point where even commenting on a computer forum is a waste of everybody's time -- most of all my own. Instead I rely on the factual assertions of scouts, analysts, and reporters that report with a present sense impression. Those that I relied on were: Sal Capaccio, Vic Carucci, Mike Rodak, and John Kryk. Everyone of these reporters stated how inaccurate EJ Manuel was and is. It can't be that all these reporters have an agenda -- if anything Sal Capaccio was and still is hoping for EJ to pull through - but if you listened to him on WGR yesterday and the day before, he calls a spade a spade and reports exactly what he is seeing. I just don't understand how fans can be so gung-ho and optimistic on a quarterback that isn't performing well in even camp. The mechanical issues with EJ's throwing issues were supposed to be resolved. They apparently aren't.

Ok fair enough - so I'd just insert Vic, Rodak, Sal, and Kryks name in place of yours in my comment. Forgive me if I choose Whaley, Rex, and Roman over them and for that matter your opinion based on their analysis. I get it we all have our opinions that's what makes TBD a place to come - but to act like the professionals have no idea what they're doing and they should follow your lead based on you reading Sal is insulting.

Very few are "gung-ho" about any QB - but we are smart enough to understand what the organization is doing in terms of building around them and that there wasn't much more that could have been done to address QB. How do you not get that? How do you not understand that there is good reason to believe that we're so good all around the QB that it's possible he can't sink the ship?

Oh no, you want us to believe this "If they don't work some offseason trade deal immediately and improve this situation, it doesn't matter how good this defense or all the rest of the offense is". Well I'm sorry I think you're wrong and not as smart as the professionals - and apparently you don't think you are either. "I am unqualified to accurately assess QBs to the point where even commenting on a computer forum is a waste of everybody's time -- most of all my own. Instead I rely on the factual assertions of scouts, analysts, and reporters that report with a present sense impression."

Edited by Triple Threat

we could trade them for Cassel straight up or even sweeten the deal with Phil Simms.

I think we need to have some faith in the FO this time around.

Mentioned it before. this whole staff has been reformed. and i would be surprised if they have not gotten smarter after the Maroone exp.

we all know it aint pretty.

But there has to be a way to make it work. Because hoping and praying and prying and pleading for a QB is not going to.

Just run the damn ball. toss it, sweep it counter it , chuck it, fling it , double reverse it. read option it.

and then lets go get some snacks

Go Bills!

Except that the QBs still can't make throws with no defense.

One of the very few, negative but valid, points I've seen made about the QB situation.

However, a potential counter is that this is about timing. We have 4 QBs trying to establish timing with a bevy of WRs, TEs, and RBs. I'm not saying every QB in the league doesn't have the same problem. I am saying: it may take longer than we like.

One of the very few, negative but valid, points I've seen made about the QB situation.

However, a potential counter is that this is about timing. We have 4 QBs trying to establish timing with a bevy of WRs, TEs, and RBs. I'm not saying every QB in the league doesn't have the same problem. I am saying: it may take longer than we like.

Also when they talk about incompletions, do they take in part the drops of the receivers? I've seen many videos of WRs dropping passes put on the money.

Also when they talk about incompletions, do they take in part the drops of the receivers? I've seen many videos of WRs dropping passes put on the money.

No, that's the QBs fault. Everything is the QBs fault. When a receiver is going full speed, looks for the ball, slows down and then realizes he shouldn't have slowed down and needs to go full speed again and is overthrown, it's the QBs fault. When the center snaps the ball while in shotgun and it only gets 6 inches off the ground, it's the QBs fault. When Goodwin eventually pulls his hamstring again, it's the QBs fault. Doesn't matter if it's Meh, EJ, T-Mobile or Simms, it's their fault.

Signed:

Joe B, Jerry Sullivan, Sal Capaccio

I think that should cover it. Oh and Pegula can own both teams in the same market.

Edited by The Wiz

Ok fair enough - so I'd just insert Vic, Rodak, Sal, and Kryks name in place of yours in my comment. Forgive me if I choose Whaley, Rex, and Roman over them and for that matter your opinion based on their analysis. I get it we all have our opinions that's what makes TBD a place to come - but to act like the professionals have no idea what they're doing and they should follow your lead based on you reading Sal is insulting.

Very few are "gung-ho" about any QB - but we are smart enough to understand what the organization is doing in terms of building around them and that there wasn't much more that could have been done to address QB. How do you not get that? How do you not understand that there is good reason to believe that we're so good all around the QB that it's possible he can't sink the ship?

Oh no, you want us to believe this "If they don't work some offseason trade deal immediately and improve this situation, it doesn't matter how good this defense or all the rest of the offense is". Well I'm sorry I think you're wrong and not as smart as the professionals - and apparently you don't think you are either. "I am unqualified to accurately assess QBs to the point where even commenting on a computer forum is a waste of everybody's time -- most of all my own. Instead I rely on the factual assertions of scouts, analysts, and reporters that report with a present sense impression."

I am not quite following your logic. If you read my posts, you will see that I have great respect for the GM Doug Whaley and Head Coach Rex Ryan. But, if you haven't, nothing in my post suggested that the coaches are incompetent or unprofessional.
Every analyst/commentator from ESPN to our very own Buffalo sports reporters state that the success of the Bills will be decided upon by the QB situation. If the QB isn't consistent, which none of them outside of Cassel being decent, have been -- then the talent on this team will be wasted and will not result in a great year with a stellar record.
Nothing in the post suggested that the coaches and management aren't acting competently. There is a lack of elite QB talent out there and trying to find that diamond in the rough is hard and risky. These coaches and the GM have it difficult because they need to be able to gauge the value of QBs that haven't put up a stellar record. Glennon who seems to be the best plausible trade situation is still going to cost the Bills considerably and having a pocket passer QB who has reached the pro-bowl on the roster (Matt Cassel) might not justify taking that risk.
Here's the bottom line and perhaps I didn't nuance it and articulate it correctly. We need a competent young QB who can be consistent to make this team competitive-- we don't have it but for the coaches and GM the risk and cost might outweigh the investment and bar it completely from coming to fruition because not only is there no guarantee, there is no probability that more likely than not we will benefit from bringing in a guy that can be traded for. But this type of analysis and dilemma does not eliminate the fact that most analysts agree on: Without a better QB option -or- improvement of play (a QB that makes plays and throws consistently) the Bills have a very little chance of making the playoffs. Rex Ryan and Whaley will never state that they won't be successful. No matter who they have, they must believe not only for the fans, but also for their professional careers and integrity of the game that they are competitive and will go deep in the playoffs. They can't doubt their team or else there is no chance whatsoever. But I can simply follow what most analysts are saying (those both in the national and local media) that are looking outside the box and don't have that emotional connection or responsibility with the team to understand that without a better QB or more consistent play, the Bills are most likely not going to be a very good team that can win the division that also has the defending Superbowl champions in it. Lastly, I am not trying to convince anybody or lead anybody to believe anything. This accusation couldn't be further from the truth. I am making my own comments for mere contribution on the forum. The point of a forum in its traditional sense is a meeting place for discussion and not a debate podium. That being said I enjoy the discussion and debates when logical inferences backed by facts support them. I can't defend or argue against accusations that are improperly articulated after misconstruing what I have written. This results in a long winded out post having to address all of the mistakes and then further rebuking them.
Edited by Vinaccia

I am not quite following your logic. If you read my posts, you will see that I have great respect for the GM Doug Whaley and Head Coach Rex Ryan. But, if you haven't, nothing in my post suggested that the coaches are incompetent or unprofessional.
Every analyst/commentator from ESPN to our very own Buffalo sports reporters state that the success of the Bills will be decided upon by the QB situation. If the QB isn't consistent, which none of them outside of Cassel being decent, have been -- then the talent on this team will be wasted and will not result in a great year with a stellar record.
Nothing in the post suggested that the coaches and management aren't acting competently. There is a lack of elite QB talent out there and trying to find that diamond in the rough is hard and risky. These coaches and the GM have it difficult because they need to be able to gauge the value of QBs that haven't put up a stellar record. Glennon who seems to be the best plausible trade situation is still going to cost the Bills considerably and having a pocket passer QB who has reached the pro-bowl on the roster (Matt Cassel) might not justify taking that risk.
Here's the bottom line and perhaps I didn't nuance it and articulate it correctly. We need a competent young QB who can be consistent to make this team competitive-- we don't have it but for the coaches and GM the risk and cost might outweigh the investment and bar it completely from coming to fruition because not only is there no guarantee, there is no probability that more likely than not we will benefit from bringing in a guy that can be traded for. But this type of analysis and dilemma does not eliminate the fact that most analysts agree on: Without a better QB option -or- improvement of play (a QB that makes plays and throws consistently) the Bills have a very little chance of making the playoffs. Rex Ryan and Whaley will never state that they won't be successful. No matter who they have, they must believe not only for the fans, but also for their professional careers and integrity of the game that they are competitive and will go deep in the playoffs. They can't doubt their team or else there is no chance whatsoever. But I can simply follow what most analysts are saying (those both in the national and local media) that are looking outside the box and don't have that emotional connection or responsibility with the team to understand that without a better QB or more consistent play, the Bills are most likely not going to be a very good team that can win the division that also has the defending Superbowl champions in it. Lastly, I am not trying to convince anybody or lead anybody to believe anything. This accusation couldn't be further from the truth. I am making my own comments for mere contribution on the forum. The point of a forum in its traditional sense is a meeting place for discussion and not a debate podium. That being said I enjoy the discussion and debates when logical inferences backed by facts support them. I can't defend or argue against accusations that are improperly articulated after misconstruing what I have written. This results in a long winded out post having to address all of the mistakes and then further rebuking them.

Well I can't make you believe you're wrong now can I?

Edited by Triple Threat