Whaley on QB situation:team will know before its "announced"

Looking forward to all the EJ bashing articles written in the near future if that's the case. Joe B. Has one burning in his outbox I'm sure.

Vic Carruci is on par as well

I don't see how EJ wins this thing. I tried to be an EJ supporter going into last season but his accuracy is just awful. So what if he shows improved accuracy in TC, his problem is in real games. Misses his target completely or places the ball where his receiver is about to get killed. The previous staff may have "held him back" but accuracy issues is all him.

I think all Taylor has to do is show he can run the offense and be more accurate than EJ and the job is his. Plus, he has an added bonus that the other guys don't, he's fast.

EJ can move pretty well too and he's bigger/stronger.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets compare EJ to a QB most posters here think is mediocre at best, Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick has a dramatically stronger arm.

Kaepernick has a dramatically stronger track record in college and the pros of running with the football.

Kaepernick has shown better field generalship at this point in their careers.

They seem to have similar accuracy problems

I just can't see any reason to every expect EJ to play as well as him, let alone better. You can do a similar comparison with other mid-tier QBs and EJ comes up short their as well.

Surprises happen, but at this point EJ really stepping up to be a mid-level NFL QB will be a surprise.

Lets compare EJ to a QB most posters here think is mediocre at best, Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick has a dramatically stronger track record in college and the pros of running with the football.

I just can't see any reason to every expect EJ to play as well as him, let alone better. You can do a similar comparison with other mid-tier QBs and EJ comes up short their as well.

Surprises happen, but at this point EJ really stepping up to be a mid-level NFL QB will be a surprise.

since when do "most posters here" think Kap is "mediocre at best"?

I really thought Cassel would be our guy opening day. The info of continued bad play in OTA's and first day of training camp is troublesome. It sounds like EJ is playing ok, and the stories of his mismanagement by the Maroon crew makes sense. Then, it is worrisome given EJ's play at FSU which was erratic.

I don't know. If Cassel has the time to gel with his players, he would be the safe bet. Then, some people say his ankle injury in MN has kept him from getting his footwork down so he may not improve. Then there is a chance Roman can get the most out of EJ.

No option is good, but I trust this experienced coaching staff to make the best of the situation. There are no other options unless someone wants to float another, "Let's trade for Aaron Rodgers, or let's ask Favre to come back out of retirement at 44", ridiculous threads.

I really thought Cassel would be our guy opening day. The info of continued bad play in OTA's and first day of training camp is troublesome. It sounds like EJ is playing ok, and the stories of his mismanagement by the Maroon crew makes sense. Then, it is worrisome given EJ's play at FSU which was erratic.

I don't know. If Cassel has the time to gel with his players, he would be the safe bet. Then, some people say his ankle injury in MN has kept him from getting his footwork down so he may not improve. Then there is a chance Roman can get the most out of EJ.

No option is good, but I trust this experienced coaching staff to make the best of the situation. There are no other options unless someone wants to float another, "Let's trade for Aaron Rodgers, or let's ask Favre to come back out of retirement at 44", ridiculous threads.

You forget the ever important mccown threads(or was it Freeman? You know what I mean either way) Edited by The Wiz

I'll believe in EJ when he can hit an open receiver on a simple damn slant or seam route and maybe throw the ball before the receiver breaks. He is still showing the same hesitant decision making and dreadful accuracy that got him benched. I would love to be proven wrong but I have zero expectations for this guy.

I completely disagree on your evaluation of both QB's. I think Kaep is in that 13-16 range - but he's getting better and better - and you can't compare EJ to any of those QB's in the 13-20 range because they've played so much more. I'd also argue Kaep has far less to work with and he throws a lot less. For example Tannehill threw 590 times compared to Kaep's 478 and only had 600 more yards (5.35 yds per throw for Kaep on 112 more attemps ties him).

EJ has played 15 games and Kaep 45 - you simply cannot compare careers in a meaningful way.

I think EJ wins the job and throws for 4,000 yards.

I completely disagree on your evaluation of both QB's. I think Kaep is in that 13-16 range - but he's getting better and better - and you can't compare EJ to any of those QB's in the 13-20 range because they've played so much more. I'd also argue Kaep has far less to work with and he throws a lot less. For example Tannehill threw 590 times compared to Kaep's 478 and only had 600 more yards (5.35 yds per throw for Kaep on 112 more attemps ties him).

EJ has played 15 games and Kaep 45 - you simply cannot compare careers in a meaningful way.

You missed my point. EJ doesn't have nearly the physical skills of Kaep, And playing more games isn't going to change that.

Field vision, eye hand coordination and the ability to have a quick release are all physical skills too. EJ doesn't hasn't exhibited excellence at any of those either.

Other than "prototypical size" EJ really hasn't demonstrated anything to suggest he can rise to level of mid-tier NFL QB.