Watkins takes shots at old coaches

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/07/sammy_watkins_takes_dig_at_former_buffalo_bills_and_syracuse_wr_coach_rob_moore.html

"Now, we're understanding how to run routes off any press, off any leverage, to where you won't be covered," Watkins told the Buffalo News. "We were kind of limited last year with certain things. It was, 'You can't do this, you can't do that.' All" Moore "wanted to do was just tie-in what he knew and what he did in his career and just do that." "The way" Lal "coaches now is the way that I know," Watkins told the News. "Everybody knows it that way. Everybody's like, 'Man, we wish we had this last year.' Or, 'Man, we wish we could do that.' And" Lal's "like, 'No, we want you to do it that way. That's the way I'm teaching it. Do it that way!'"

As time goes on, the more we hear about how bad Doug Marrone and his offensive staff really was.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see. There's always a lot of talk in the offseason. I can't wait until the pads start smashing.

As bad as the staff was, the team still stayed on track from 6-10 to 9-7. Hopefully they don't skip a beat and get to 11-5/12-4 this year.

I do think it's likely that they would've stalled under Marrone. Jerry Hughes alluded to the fact that he would've left in FA...

I still maintain that Hackett got a bad rap. If you read the tea leaves, with quotes from players and what not, it seemed as though he was limited by the clueless head coach. I think back to some of the decisions that idiot made and, in my opinion, he's the worst coach I've seen patrol the Bills sideline in the 25+ years I've been watching.

Hackett designed some good plays that had receivers running open all year. A combination of bad QBing and poor protection really gave him no chance. The players seemed to like him too. But the head coach, and other position coaches around him were JV-level bad.

I actually wonder how this will affect Robert Woods......

Woods seemed to be finding his way into Marrone's doghouse I wonder if this ties into that at all...........

I'm willing to bet that taking off the proverbial "handcuffs," is going to let a whole lot of talent shine through. I see it in him, at times...could be nasty!

I can't honestly judge how bad or good Hackett was due to the fact that Marrone was so overly conservative in his play calling, was more concerned about his image in the media, and spent most of his time meddling with the O-line instead of focusing on the team as a whole. The only things I can give credit to Marrone for is hiring Schwartz and hiring Crossman as those two did great jobs with the defense and special teams.

So glad Marrone is gone. Clueless coach who hired other under qualified coaches, and then micor-managed everything and treated his players like college kids.

This place is gonna be a disaster if we don't improve on last year's record.

Agreed, and it should be!

It doesn't speak well of Watkins' maturity when things like this come out of his mouth. Even if it's true you don't go to the press with this kind of stuff. This is the type of thing you joke around with your teammates about and it ends there.

It doesn't speak well of Watkins' maturity when things like this come out of his mouth. Even if it's true you don't go to the press with this kind of stuff. This is the type of thing you joke around with your teammates about and it ends there.

I love Sammy, but I have to agree on some level. Just go show your game and how much more you can do. Let your game talk for you. Trashing former coaches may feel good while venting, but little good comes of it in the end.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/07/sammy_watkins_takes_dig_at_former_buffalo_bills_and_syracuse_wr_coach_rob_moore.html

"Now, we're understanding how to run routes off any press, off any leverage, to where you won't be covered," Watkins told the Buffalo News. "We were kind of limited last year with certain things. It was, 'You can't do this, you can't do that.' All" Moore "wanted to do was just tie-in what he knew and what he did in his career and just do that." "The way" Lal "coaches now is the way that I know," Watkins told the News. "Everybody knows it that way. Everybody's like, 'Man, we wish we had this last year.' Or, 'Man, we wish we could do that.' And" Lal's "like, 'No, we want you to do it that way. That's the way I'm teaching it. Do it that way!'"

As time goes on, the more we hear about how bad Doug Marrone and his offensive staff really was.

i hope you are correct. but i think the handcuffs were our qb's last year. and the quality there doesn't appear to have increased all that much.. chicken or egg? hopefully it was the coaching.

Please. If the various reports about Marrone are true, which I'm sure they are, I'm totally fine with this and encourage more of it. The guy was a complete prick from day one. To the media, the staff, and to a lot of the players. He deserves no respect.

You may be right. I think the players really hated him after he bailed, and combined with what they were taught, how they were coached, what they were told, and then how he took the money and ran and bad mouthed the team, all bets and gloves were off. And they didn't care about badmouthing him.

I noticed that Watkins does this....I do hope that he learns as he matures that it is not good to give the media their fuel.

Sure, if he was the only one saying anything. but this has been said by multiple players how much different (better) the coaches are this year, and being taught the right way. Hell did you miss the article that Marrone practically killed EJ.

Also - Since when is honesty a bad thing now?

Edited by CountDorkula

It would be great if we could build on what Marrone was able to squeeze out of a team he lorded over with dictatorial incompetence. However, we are facing a year where Manuel or Taylor could be starting at QB. Manuel in all likelihood will continue to have growing pains and Taylor will effectively be a rookie if he wins the starting job. I'm not impressed with Cassell on any level. Both sides of the football are working with new playbooks,... again. Having better players at the skill positions will help, but we could conceivably take a one year step back before becoming the dominating team that this coaching staff and the talent we have across the field begins paying off.

We could win the Super Bowl, with EJ, and there would still be an "EJ Sucks," thread on the following Monday.

He's had a problem with dumb stuff coming out of his mouth with a mic in front of his face since he got here.

Just catch the ball and move the chains whilst keeping your mouth shut.