Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

as opposed to now when everyone still thinks he did it and wants to know how long?

I have concluded that you :wub: Brady almost as much as WEO.

He has clearly shown himself to be a dirt bag yet you keep looking the other way. There are plenty of other fish in the sea if you're looking for a hero dude.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is gold

@cbsboston: A fan with a Tom Brady tattoo continues to postpone his honeymoon to support the suspended QB http://t.co/FgMSm0GQH2http://t.co/uvVXn20yHe

Oh-my-good-God-in-Heaven!!! I'm trying to figure out who to feel bad for here. Can you imagine the look on this guy's face as a "Look Up Cheaters" banner flew around the practice field??? I think I feel worse for... myself, for not feeling pity for this guy. I can't stop laughing inside! I'm so conflicted!!!

Wrong, I think: if he masks it, he is assumed to be guilty of the suspected offense and gets the basic penalty for said offense. It is not doubled simply because he masked it. If he doesn't mask it and gets caught, the penalty is the same, and if he masks it and gets caught anyway, I'm pretty sure it's still the same. Ontarrio Smith was suspended for a full year because of the whizzinator, but he would have gotten that penalty anyway because it was his third offense. They didn't increase the penalty because of the device.

That's not what I'm arguing. You missed the point. Goodell was saying that all of these things together were like masking the pee test, it's obstructing the investigation, and it's a suspendable offense. Goodell didn't increase the penalty, he went from four to four. Brady didn't provide the texts or the phone the first time they asked him (Wells), and he didn't the second time they asked him (Goodell). But Goodell didn't increase his penalty, he kept it the same. If you want to argue that Goodell wanted to cut it to two but when Brady was found to have destroyed the phone the day he wanted it so Goodell didn't cut it to two, which now constitutes adding two games, that is a huge stretch.

We are at an impasse.

It's not about what's good and holy about the league. I don't know how to respond to that. What the phuck does that even mean?

The commissioner is establishing a precedent by serving notice that players who cheat, lie about it, and refuse to cooperate when investigated, can expect to be punished for those actions. Period. Perhaps Brady should have thought about the consequences before deciding to act the way he did.

You seem to be OK with the idea that players should just get a slap on the wrist for cheating, lying about it, and refusing to cooperate. I am not.

You seem to accept the idea that since no prior case like this existed before, it is wrong for the commissioner to punish a player for it now. This makes zero sense to me.

I at the end here. We can discuss more when the ruling comes down. This is too exhausting.

GO BILLS!!!

I am there with you. In a neutral market, a lot of people still seem heavily rag on Goddell in this.

I know he's not our favorite person, but I cannot comprehend how a player, any player, can cheat in a way that affects his play on the field, lie about it, destroy evidence and conceal the fact and yet it's the investigators fault they caught him.

Ray Farmer got four games for texting a play to the sideline. I think we all agree that Ray Farmer gave negligible help, or even distracted his team by doing so. Where is the outrage? Where is the three ring circus? Where is the the massive media storm and legal opinions?

In both cases Goddell came down hard on individuals whose offenses, while minor, threatened the public trust in the game? So why should Brady expect anything different?

I am there with you. In a neutral market, a lot of people still seem heavily rag on Goddell in this.

I know he's not our favorite person, but I cannot comprehend how a player, any player, can cheat in a way that affects his play on the field, lie about it, destroy evidence and conceal the fact and yet it's the investigators fault they caught him.

Ray Farmer got four games for texting a play to the sideline. I think we all agree that Ray Farmer gave negligible help, or even distracted his team by doing so. Where is the outrage? Where is the three ring circus? Where is the the massive media storm and legal opinions?

In both cases Goddell came down hard on individuals whose offenses, while minor, threatened the public trust in the game? So why should Brady expect anything different?

generally speaking, front office personnel and coaches dont have:

a) the CBA the players do

b) the robust history of punishments for us to look at as comps

c) the week to week impact a player does

and of course D) its the browns GM, so there arent enough people that care to talk about it at length.

a) the CBA the players do - and Goodell used the CBA to conduct his justice

b) the robust history of punishments for us to look at as comps - if there is no precedent, nothing in the CBA prevents the comish to establish a new precedent

c) the week to week impact a player does - precisely why the punishment was severe on a player involved in 100% of offensive downs.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/even-tom-brady-smash-phone-itd-make-zero-sense/

Wow, the extent that people will go to defend him. For one the NFL does not have access to Brady's "Google Hangouts" and for two, that texting app is not automatic like they assume. I have a Samsung phone, and it automatically starts with the Verizon messaging app which I promptly changed out for Textra. No sign of Google Hangouts for me.

Edited by What a Tuel

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/even-tom-brady-smash-phone-itd-make-zero-sense/

Wow, the extent that people will go to defend him. For one the NFL does not have access to Brady's "Google Hangouts" and for two, that texting app is not automatic like they assume. I have a Samsung phone, and it automatically starts with the Verizon messaging app which I promptly changed out for Textra. No sign of Google Hangouts for me.

You are correct, it's silly to assume he was using Hangouts as default, especially with VZW as a carrier. The default SMS app in Android is always the carrier's messenger.

PS - kind of embarrassing for Wired to run that story.

Edited by GG

What is the specific policy regarding this? Anyone know offhand? to

The rule according to what Mortonson said on the radio is that equipment tampering, such as what happend to the "stickum" balls in San Diego and the "heated" balls by Atlanta in a cold weather game resulted in a team fines, in both cases the fines were $25,000 to each team as stipulated in the CBA. It is, according to him, spelled out in the CBA that the organizations, and not the players, are held responsible for this type of infraction.

He was making this point as a basis for the union to argue in its legal case. According to him no player until this case has been fined for equipment tampering while teams have been subjected to miniscule fines.

You are correct, it's silly to assume he was using Hangouts as default, especially with VZW as a carrier. The default SMS app in Android is always the carrier's messenger.

PS - kind of embarrassing for Wired to run that story.

That's why I thought it was worth posting at this point because people are just generating their own scenarios and going "That's plausible, he must be innocent". It is embarrassing.

Meanwhile this whole string of coincidences just keeps getting longer and longer for Brady haha.

Edited by What a Tuel

That's why I thought it was worth posting at this point because people are just generating their own scenarios and going "That's plausible, he must be innocent". It is embarrassing.

Meanwhile this whole string of coincidences just keeps getting longer and longer for Brady haha.

And if you want to take this one step further, moving from Android to iOS is huge, because it's not a given that old text messages get moved over to the new phone. There's some real work that needs to be done to transfer old messages when moving the mobile OS. Surprised the defenders don't find it odd that a man who accumulates 10K SMS in three months doesn't care that he loses all text history by moving to a new phone. To me it's not just that he "destroyed" the phone but also moved to a new operating system and didn't take steps to move his data to the new phone.

Waiting to hear the defense of this coincidence.

a) the CBA the players do - and Goodell used the CBA to conduct his justice

b) the robust history of punishments for us to look at as comps - if there is no precedent, nothing in the CBA prevents the comish to establish a new precedent

c) the week to week impact a player does - precisely why the punishment was severe on a player involved in 100% of offensive downs.

my man, i was simply saying why we werent discussing farmer. brady had literally nothing to do with that post. you certainly dont have to make up disagreements to argue - i assure you there are plenty.

my man, i was simply saying why we werent discussing farmer. brady had literally nothing to do with that post. you certainly dont have to make up disagreements to argue - i assure you there are plenty.

You're wrong.

NY Judge - cut the horseshit

Judge tells NFL, NFLPA to ‘tone down their rhetoric’ in Tom Brady case

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/7/30/9074389/tom-brady-suspension-lawsuit-nflpa-judge-new-york

Obviously, a resolution outside of the courtroom would be preferable at this stage, and Berman is trying to cut out as much of the nonsense as possible to facilitate such a resolution. In referencing the court's rules regarding filing motions and the timetables this case is working with, Berman said that "the earth is already sufficiently scorched."

And if you want to take this one step further, moving from Android to iOS is huge, because it's not a given that old text messages get moved over to the new phone. There's some real work that needs to be done to transfer old messages when moving the mobile OS. Surprised the defenders don't find it odd that a man who accumulates 10K SMS in three months doesn't care that he loses all text history by moving to a new phone. To me it's not just that he "destroyed" the phone but also moved to a new operating system and didn't take steps to move his data to the new phone.

Waiting to hear the defense of this coincidence.

I'm not trying to let him off the hook here, but it's not that odd. As I mentioned earlier, I know a small number of people who made the switch this spring for various reasons, and the iphone increased its share of the US market by nearly 2 percent in the first few months of this year alone. One could call what he did suspicious, but in a court it'd be easy to swat that one away.

NY Judge - cut the horseshit

Judge tells NFL, NFLPA to ‘tone down their rhetoric’ in Tom Brady case

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/7/30/9074389/tom-brady-suspension-lawsuit-nflpa-judge-new-york

Obviously, a resolution outside of the courtroom would be preferable at this stage, and Berman is trying to cut out as much of the nonsense as possible to facilitate such a resolution. In referencing the court's rules regarding filing motions and the timetables this case is working with, Berman said that "the earth is already sufficiently scorched."

That's wrong. He told BOTH sides to cut it down: https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/626783086739521537/photo/1

Edited by dave mcbride

That's just wrong. He told BOTH sides to cut it down: https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/626783086739521537/photo/1

isn't that what I posted? NFL and NFLPA?

since the union is backing Brady*** wouldn't the NFL = Roger, NFLPA = Brady*** ? ergo both sides?

Can he put Kraft and or and or Brady***'s agent in contempt of court?

isn't that what I posted? NFL and NFLPA?

since the union is backing Brady*** wouldn't the NFL = Roger, NFLPA = Brady*** ? ergo both sides?

Can he put Kraft and or and or Brady***'s agent in contempt of court?

you are correct - I only saw NFLPA! My apologies.