Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

I'm not trying to let him off the hook here, but it's not that odd. As I mentioned earlier, I know a small number of people who made the switch this spring for various reasons, and the iphone increased its share of the US market by nearly 2 percent in the first few months of this year alone. One could call what he did suspicious, but in a court it'd be easy to swat that one away.

That's wrong. He told BOTH sides to cut it down: https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/626783086739521537/photo/1

Switching the phones on its own isn't suspicious at all. Destroying the old phone and not taking steps to carry over old messages, is. Ask your friends who switched if they took steps to port as much of the old data as possible from Android to iOS, or if they were ok to start with a blank slate.

my man, i was simply saying why we werent discussing farmer. brady had literally nothing to do with that post. you certainly dont have to make up disagreements to argue - i assure you there are plenty.

I provided counterpoints on why your reasons for Goodell's smackdown of Farmer don't apply to Brady, are invalid.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switching the phones on its own isn't suspicious at all. Destroying the old phone and not taking steps to carry over old messages, is. Ask your friends who switched if they took steps to port as much of the old data as possible from Android to iOS, or if they were ok to start with a blank slate.

I agree with this. I was just saying that switching wasn't really an issue. The other stuff is.

And if you want to take this one step further, moving from Android to iOS is huge, because it's not a given that old text messages get moved over to the new phone. There's some real work that needs to be done to transfer old messages when moving the mobile OS. Surprised the defenders don't find it odd that a man who accumulates 10K SMS in three months doesn't care that he loses all text history by moving to a new phone. To me it's not just that he "destroyed" the phone but also moved to a new operating system and didn't take steps to move his data to the new phone.

Waiting to hear the defense of this coincidence.

I brought that up earlier in this thread, it's the first thing i thought of, and was shot down by the Brady radar defense system.

Brady's agent said yesterday that he changed from Samsung to IPhone 6 because the iPhone 6 had just come out and he wanted the new phone. Except that it had come out six months earlier. Before Brady's second last phone. ;)

I brought that up earlier in this thread, it's the first thing i thought of, and was shot down by the Brady radar defense system.

Brady's agent said yesterday that he changed from Samsung to IPhone 6 because the iPhone 6 had just come out and he wanted the new phone. Except that it had come out six months earlier. Before Brady's second last phone. ;)

Oh, I agree - it's a terrible excuse.

I provided counterpoints on why your reasons for Goodell's smackdown of Farmer don't apply to Brady, are invalid.

Your still so aggressively looking to argue that you don't realize I was discussing why farmer coverage generated lower fan interest than Brady not why the punishments are related/unrelated/comparable or anything else worth arguing merit of cases.

You and I can't argue CBA clauses about farmer so it's a harder discussion. There's just about no comps worth discussing. The penalty is practically meaningless for a gm and of course the who cares about the Browns GM all make for a short thread was the point

I am changing my mind. I am now absolutely convinced that the 4-game penalty leveled against Brady is too light. He deserves a full season. (There is no sarcasm in this post.)

The phone doesn't matter. The missing texts don't matter. None of the peripheral stuff matters; that is all distraction. I believe that Brady was at the center of a conspiracy involving the two Pats employees (and Goodell has evidence to prove this) to alter balls before a playoff game, and that conspiracy resulted in Patriots employees--and this is the only important part--stealing gameballs from an official before a playoff game. That is the only allegation that matters, and Goodell feels he has sufficient proof of Brady's involvement.

It is pointless to argue precedent in this situation. It is pointless to talk about heaters and stickum, or what punishments other players have received for this or that transgression. Any discussion about what Goodell can do or has done under the CBA is also meaningless. It isn't comparable to foreign substance penalties issued to pitchers in MLB, or corked bats. It isn't anything at all like a goalie using pads that are too wide, or a stick with excess curve. It is also meaningless to discuss the benefit that Brady received from doing this; it simply doesn't matter.

Because--also important--this is a completely unique occurrence in the entire history of the NFL. No player has ever been involved in stealing gameballs or other equipment from an official for the purpose of altering them before. Brady has taken cheating to a level that has never been approached, let alone equaled. No player has ever done this. Ever. Ever. Directed game balls to be stolen from an official. Unique, unequaled, certainly unsurpassed.

And unforgivable. You can't do this in sports. You can't. On a sandlot, he'd get his ass kicked by his big brother and his best friend for this kind of thing. He'd go home and his dad would find out why he was crying and he would kick his ass. Then his mom, too.

Throw the book at him. He's a cheater the likes of which we have never seen. I say, good for Goodell.

kj

I am changing my mind. I am now absolutely convinced that the 4-game penalty leveled against Brady is too light. He deserves a full season. (There is no sarcasm in this post.)

The phone doesn't matter. The missing texts don't matter. None of the peripheral stuff matters; that is all distraction. I believe that Brady was at the center of a conspiracy involving the two Pats employees (and Goodell has evidence to prove this) to alter balls before a playoff game, and that conspiracy resulted in Patriots employees--and this is the only important part--stealing gameballs from an official before a playoff game. That is the only allegation that matters, and Goodell feels he has sufficient proof of Brady's involvement.

It is pointless to argue precedent in this situation. It is pointless to talk about heaters and stickum, or what punishments other players have received for this or that transgression. Any discussion about what Goodell can do or has done under the CBA is also meaningless. It isn't comparable to foreign substance penalties issued to pitchers in MLB, or corked bats. It isn't anything at all like a goalie using pads that are too wide, or a stick with excess curve. It is also meaningless to discuss the benefit that Brady received from doing this; it simply doesn't matter.

Because--also important--this is a completely unique occurrence in the entire history of the NFL. No player has ever been involved in stealing gameballs or other equipment from an official for the purpose of altering them before. Brady has taken cheating to a level that has never been approached, let alone equaled. No player has ever done this. Ever. Ever. Directed game balls to be stolen from an official. Unique, unequaled, certainly unsurpassed.

And unforgivable. You can't do this in sports. You can't. On a sandlot, he'd get his ass kicked by his big brother and his best friend for this kind of thing. He'd go home and his dad would find out why he was crying and he would kick his ass. Then his mom, too.

Throw the book at him. He's a cheater the likes of which we have never seen. I say, good for Goodell.

kj

I-LIKE-YOUR-9jivp0.jpg

kj

Nobody stole any balls. They just borrowed them.

[/Florio]

Oh, I agree - it's a terrible excuse.

Your still so aggressively looking to argue that you don't realize I was discussing why farmer coverage generated lower fan interest than Brady not why the punishments are related/unrelated/comparable or anything else worth arguing merit of cases.

You and I can't argue CBA clauses about farmer so it's a harder discussion. There's just about no comps worth discussing. The penalty is practically meaningless for a gm and of course the who cares about the Browns GM all make for a short thread was the point

all you had to say was that he's the GM of Cleveland. No reason to bring up the other bullet points

RoMe just went through the most recent Brady excuse: That he destroyed his old phone to get the new iPhone 6.

Alas, it had been released *six months* before that.

maybe he's on a budget and had to wait until his contract was up. Plausible, hmmmm?

kj

I could argue with several things in this post, but I like so much about it as well, that I choose to accentuate the positives. Loved the part about big brother, then dad, and even mom kicking his ass for cheating. Too many people look at that aspect of this and aren't the least bit bothered about stealing the game balls. Like it happens all the time. This is unprecedented as you said.

GO BILLS!!!

I could argue with several things in this post, but I like so much about it as well, that I choose to accentuate the positives. Loved the part about big brother, then dad, and even mom kicking his ass for cheating. Too many people look at that aspect of this and aren't the least bit bothered about stealing the game balls. Like it happens all the time. This is unprecedented as you said.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree completely. I'm trying to think of an analogy but really can't.

Some people act as if it's the same thing as just putting a needle in a ball on the sidelines and letting a little air out. Let's say that is the equivalent of playing five card draw poker and someone looking at your hand. It's cheating. You and everyone else would be pissed. But it's one hand and hey he cheated but you're not going to kick him out of the game.

This, however, is like having your buddy who is hosting the game mark the entire deck of cards right before the biggest high stakes game, and over the course of the whole night or a series of nights, consistently cheating, every once in a while knowing what another player had in his hand. If you're caught doing that, you're kicked out for good and no one wants to ever play with you.

i think it's that it is no longer "just about the cheating." If it was, and he admitted it, the punishment would have been significantly less. Could have as little as a 25k fine. So yes it's about the cheating, but that was just the tip of the iceberg. It's about the cover up, lying, and conduct detrimental "at this point."

Goddell however stated that Brady's cheating(and one assumes any premeditated and systematic cheating) should be looked at in the same way as PED usage....which typically gets a 4 game suspension for first offenders. He may have worded things as such in anticipation of the Brady law suit.....but one would truly hope that the NFL has decided to finally treat cheating with seriousness that it deserves.

Ignoring the lenient history regarding cheating in US professional sports, there is zero sound logic that could stand against giving a harsh penalty, one that provides some sort of legitimate future deterrent, to those that are found to have premeditatedly broken the rules.

When one combines the actual cheating with the circus that has followed due to Brady's noncompliance.....4 games is extremely lenient IMO.

I agree completely. I'm trying to think of an analogy but really can't.

Some people act as if it's the same thing as just putting a needle in a ball on the sidelines and letting a little air out. Let's say that is the equivalent of playing five card draw poker and someone looking at your hand. It's cheating. You and everyone else would be pissed. But it's one hand and hey he cheated but you're not going to kick him out of the game.

This, however, is like having your buddy who is hosting the game mark the entire deck of cards right before the biggest high stakes game, and over the course of the whole night or a series of nights, consistently cheating, every once in a while knowing what another player had in his hand. If you're caught doing that, you're kicked out for good and no one wants to ever play with you.

So playing with a ball 1 or 2 PSI light gives the same competitive disadvantage as knowing what your opponents cards are in poker?

@SInowLIVE

WATCH: @adbrandt on if Tom Brady and @NFLPA have a chance against the @NFL in federal court http://on.si.com/1I2nY3c

What Brandt is saying is another thing that people who think Brady has a decent chance are constantly ignoring. This really isn't about is it fair for Goodell to give him four games as it is is it fair for Goodell to judge at all, and even more than that, will a judge step in and overturn arbitration. Chances are tiny.

The judge isn't really going to look at the case much right off the bat. He's going to say 1] Does Goodell have authority to be judge, jury and executioner (Yes, the NFLPA gave that to him) and did he do something absolutely insane that negates the idea of arbitration (No. You could argue it's way too much in your opinion but most people think no and it's not). A lot of players get suspended. The Judge may not even get to the four or five major points the NFLPA is arguing.

So playing with a ball 1 or 2 PSI light gives the same competitive disadvantage as knowing what your opponents cards are in poker?

Definitely not the same competitive advantage.

Definitely both on the same side of the cheating line. It's a decision to try to gain an advantage. The Patriots already peeked at the other teams cards with Spygate.

Not necessarily but that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's a one time dirty thing and a crappy act to pull that gives you a little advantage for a short while and some "don't !@#$ing do it agains" but not enough to get you kicked out.