Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

What if he was one of the best as a result of things he and the Pats** did over his career to systemically cheat? Is he still a HOFer then?

As I said in response to The Big Cat above, it comes down to execution and Brady has made too many clutch plays over the years for me to believe they were all a result of cheating. It's not like Jeff Tuel would suddenly be Bradyesque if he had the same advantage. At least in my book.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure the last half is true at all, and i guess its something we can really delve into if wanted, but since even this is a third hand rumor about something that never came to fruition - im fine letting it slide.

Only Kraft basically admits quid pro quo, because he's a self serving disingenuous ass. The league would never do that I don't think, because they are a self-serving PR machine. Goodell makes bonehead decisions at times, and the league does crazy erratic crap, but they don't mess up simple don't admit the truth PR. ;)

its been reported that brady declined the negotiations in part because it wasnt going to seal the record. im not sure what nits you are trying to pick here, but consider me sufficiently moderated.

you asked why i thought it would be public, i replied that it was because the league allegedly refused to make it private, so no matter what it would end up public. im not sure what you are even trying to argue at this point by saying "so you're hung up on the fact that the information may have become public?" I am not hung up on anything there, but it sounds like brady is, i guess.

no moderation involved, I believe that brady is disingenuous if he implying that he didn't "fess up" because the league wouldn't reportedly agree to seal the records.

I saw that and couldn't believe it. He is pretty much confirming every dark whisper of cronyism he's been accused of. How does a reasonable person expect that accepting a punishment, and then firing two accused conspirators make it any easier to exonerate the third. Maybe for leniency (which it looks like Goddell made every effort to give), but expecting anything else is attempted bribery.

Because they were hoping to separate Brady from those two, and claim that they acted alone and Golden Boy wasn't aware. Which is why the phone was "destroyed."

Everything they've done has been an attempt to avoid connecting Brady to this. Which, ironically, is what made it worse.

As I said in response to The Big Cat above, it comes down to execution and Brady has made too many clutch plays over the years for me to believe they were all a result of cheating. It's not like Jeff Tuel would suddenly be Bradyesque if he had the same advantage. At least in my book.

GO BILLS!!!

But how many other 'decent' (not Losman/Tuel-esque) QBs could have been great under the same circumstances

GO BILLS!!!

No. You've mentioned Tuel and JP. There are MANY QB echelons between Tuel/JP and Brady. What about guys like Carson Palmer? What about Big Ben? What about Eli? Cam Newton? ANDY DALTON? Might any of them be "Bradyesque" with the advantages Tom Tom has enjoyed?

I think we all agree that the lengths Brady is going to to obstruct an investigation of deflated footballs seems excessive.

Which begs a question no one seems to be asking: what if there is more than deflated footballs he's covering up?

I think we all agree that the lengths Brady is going to to obstruct an investigation of deflated footballs seems excessive.

Which begs a question no one seems to be asking: what if there is more than deflated footballs he's covering up?

wouldnt the ultimate way to hide further scrutiny have been just swallowing the punishment from the get go?

Please read the Goodell report. You don't have to just take his word for everything, just keep an open mind. He also debunked a lot of the AEI argument, too.

I actually plan to. One of my Pats fan co-workers just came into my office and pontificated for a while. He had read it.

Skip Bayless saying he's talked to people who felt Brady wanted to go to court as part of a play to get rid of Goodell.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. The NFLPA's position on this is no doubt motivated in no small part by a desire to weaken the disciplinary powers of the commissioner they ridiculously agreed to in the CBA. And of all the stands they'd want to take, they're never going to get a better on than defending Golden Boy against the Evil Commish.

The ball boy refused to give it over. The Chargers as an organization cooperated and accepted the penalty.

They aren't similar at all.

They would be similar if the ball boy denied doing anything wrong. He then refused to cooperate with the investigation. The Chargers denied all wrong doing. The ball boy smashed his cell phone.

EDIT: The whole Charger infraction was wrapped up rather quickly because they admitted guilt.

Believe me, I'm not denying that the Pats acted in a suspicious way. I'm really just talking about the gamesmanship that goes on in the league. As my Pats fan friend said, the Falcons piping in noise equally violated the integrity of the game (if not more). They only suffered a $350K fine. But they didn't fight it, of course.

For all those wondering how we'd react in similar circumstances I offer one, Orenthal James Simpson. At the risk of showing my age here, he was a god in my house growing up, but neither I nor anyone else on this board have any illusions about what he did.

It's just a special kind of stupid in Boston.....

I have to disagree. If you think about OJ, the man thrilled everyone in the sports world for years with his talents on the field, breaking records and somehow making the Bills relevant again. He accelerates his fame with Hertz commercials, which leads him to doing some great comedy in a series of great Naked Gun movies.

The man entertained all of us for years over years, from football to TV.

He had ONE bad day and everyone gets on his case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: my understanding is that the NFL directed the Pats to fire Jastremski and McNally, and that the Pats did not fire them themselves. My Pats fan friend at work said that this definitely the case, and that he had read the NFL constitution, which apparently gives the league the right to fire staff at that level. If I'm wrong, let me know.

I have to disagree. If you think about OJ, the man thrilled everyone in the sports world for years with his talents on the field, breaking records and somehow making the Bills relevant again. He accelerates his fame with Hertz commercials, which leads him to doing some great comedy in a series of great Naked Gun movies.

The man entertained all of us for years over years, from football to TV.

He had ONE bad day and everyone gets on his case.

In OJ's defense, it's very hard to continue the hunt for the real killer when you've been railroaded into prison on minor trumped up charges.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: my understanding is that the NFL directed the Pats to fire Jastremski and McNally, and that the Pats did not fire them themselves. My Pats fan friend at work said that this definitely the case, and that he had read the NFL constitution, which apparently gives the league the right to fire staff at that level. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Even if that were the case, it's remains the lone instance of compliance in this whole ordeal...which is consistent with the critique of the firing anyways.

Believe me, I'm not denying that the Pats acted in a suspicious way. I'm really just talking about the gamesmanship that goes on in the league. As my Pats fan friend said, the Falcons piping in noise equally violated the integrity of the game (if not more). They only suffered a $350K fine. But they didn't fight it, of course.

Imagine if it had been the Pats fined for piping in noise.

"No we didn't. And we already fired the sound technician! But there was no wrong doing! And Goodell doesn't have the authority to fine us! And the fine is excessive, because Chad Johnson only gets a $20k fine for being a loud-mouth! It didn't give us a competitive advantage! The used the wrong noise meter! The physics of sound propagation is wrong! IT'S NOT MY FAULT I SWEAR TO GOD!!!"

"Oh...oh Jake..."