Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

Believe me, I'm not denying that the Pats acted in a suspicious way. I'm really just talking about the gamesmanship that goes on in the league. As my Pats fan friend said, the Falcons piping in noise equally violated the integrity of the game (if not more). They only suffered a $350K fine. But they didn't fight it, of course.

We have been back and forth on this and you're obviously one of my favorite guys on this board. Please indulge me and answer this question, first in a one word yes or no, and second if you want to explain why.

Do you genuinely believe that handing 12 balls to the officials before a Championship Game, asking them to be set at exactly 12.5 psi specifically, letting the officials check the balls no make sure they are all at 12.5, the legal minimum limit you just admitted to the officials is the legal limit, and then, when the officials left the balls alone for ten minutes, you took them all to a bathroom and let air out of them all to intentionally be under that limit.

Is that "Gamesmanship" to you?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wouldn't surprise me at all. The NFLPA's position on this is no doubt motivated in no small part by a desire to weaken the disciplinary powers of the commissioner they ridiculously agreed to in the CBA. And of all the stands they'd want to take, they're never going to get a better on than defending Golden Boy against the Evil Commish.

It would make sense. It wouldn't shock me if the NFLPA refused to press how much of a long shot this would be for Brady, just to get another crack in on Goddell.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: my understanding is that the NFL directed the Pats to fire Jastremski and McNally, and that the Pats did not fire them themselves. My Pats fan friend at work said that this definitely the case, and that he had read the NFL constitution, which apparently gives the league the right to fire staff at that level. If I'm wrong, let me know..

The Patriots claimed that was the case. Goodell immediately said that is flat wrong and we never told them to. I don't think the Patriots ever responded to that.

That's not true.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/05/20/roger-goodell-denies-adam-schefter-report-that-nfl-asked-patriots-to-suspend-jastremski-mcnally/

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Please correct me if I'm wrong: my understanding is that the NFL directed the Pats to fire Jastremski and McNally, and that the Pats did not fire them themselves. My Pats fan friend at work said that this definitely the case, and that he had read the NFL constitution, which apparently gives the league the right to fire staff at that level. If I'm wrong, let me know.

The only instance was a Schefter Facebook post in May.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: my understanding is that the NFL directed the Pats to fire Jastremski and McNally, and that the Pats did not fire them themselves. My Pats fan friend at work said that this definitely the case, and that he had read the NFL constitution, which apparently gives the league the right to fire staff at that level. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Yeah...the Patriots cooperate with that, but obstruct, cloud, and confuse every other damn thing about this.

Your Pats fan friend is a moron.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. The NFLPA's position on this is no doubt motivated in no small part by a desire to weaken the disciplinary powers of the commissioner they ridiculously agreed to in the CBA. And of all the stands they'd want to take, they're never going to get a better on than defending Golden Boy against the Evil Commish.

No kidding, hard to take the side of domestic abuse and come out looking good!

We have been back and forth on this and you're obviously one of my favorite guys on this board. Please indulge me and answer this question, first in a one word yes or no, and second if you want to explain why.

Do you genuinely believe that handing 12 balls to the officials before a Championship Game, asking them to be set at exactly 12.5 psi specifically, letting the officials check the balls no make sure they are all at 12.5, the legal minimum limit you just admitted to the officials is the legal limit, and then, when the officials left the balls alone for ten minutes, you took them all to a bathroom and let air out of them all to intentionally be under that limit.

Is that "Gamesmanship" to you?

"Gamesmanship" derives from "gaming" - i.e., minor corner cuts that amount to minor cheating, more or less. So yes, I regard it as gamesmanship, not dissimilar to Jerry Rice's illegal use of stickum, Clay Bucholz using a foreign substance on his arm, etc. The number of the balls is irrelevant: if the tool you're using to "game" is on your body, then you can do it to every ball. If it's the ball itself you're using to "game," than you have to logically apply it to more than one. It's impossible to do that in MLB because they go through so many balls, so the "gaming" device is always in the possession of the player (foreign substance on body or bat that one owns).

But how many other 'decent' (not Losman/Tuel-esque) QBs could have been great under the same circumstances

No. You've mentioned Tuel and JP. There are MANY QB echelons between Tuel/JP and Brady. What about guys like Carson Palmer? What about Big Ben? What about Eli? Cam Newton? ANDY DALTON? Might any of them be "Bradyesque" with the advantages Tom Tom has enjoyed?

I think Big Ben is a first ballot HOFer as it is.

But based on my observation of how all these other QBs play the position, I would say NO, they too, wouldn't be Bradyesque at all.

Are you guys suggesting that all the success Brady has had is owed to cheating? Really? I just can't agree with that.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah...the Patriots cooperate with that, but obstruct, cloud, and confuse every other damn thing about this.

He's not, actually. He's pretty damn smart and is pretty evenhanded about this. He thinks the phone issue is pretty big.

After the Pats claimed that the NFL directed them to fire their employees, the NFL said that was false. I think that's all that was said on that matter, so we don't know which side is lying.

I have to disagree. If you think about OJ, the man thrilled everyone in the sports world for years with his talents on the field, breaking records and somehow making the Bills relevant again. He accelerates his fame with Hertz commercials, which leads him to doing some great comedy in a series of great Naked Gun movies.

The man entertained all of us for years over years, from football to TV.

He had ONE bad day and everyone gets on his case.

This is some seriously funny schit, right here. GREAT stuff!

GO BILLS!!!

Depends on who one believes - Schefter or Goodell. I trust the former more, but it would be relevant if he responded. Did he respond?

After the Pats claimed that the NFL directed them to fire their employees, the NFL said that was false. I think that's all that was said on that matter, so we don't know which side is lying.

I thought that Schefter claimed this, and that he got it from a "league source." https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/957919684260673

What if he was one of the best as a result of things he and the Pats** did over his career to systemically cheat? Is he still a HOFer then?

It's possible he may not get in his first year of eligibility. I think some member of the Board of Electors may want to deprive him of that honor as a slap on the wrist for his cheating. But he'll get in. His career accomplishments are too stellar to ignore. Just my guess.

Here's another thing I wonder: will his play suffer this year because he's bothered by a rock-hard football? Based on the texts we've seen, ball under-inflation was a big thing to him.

Reading a bunch of the comments in deflategate stories, one gets the sense that many Patriots** fans behave like a battered wife.

You don't understand. We've been together for years. And he would never hurt me. It's actually my fault for letting my face get in the way of his fists.

Are you guys suggesting that all the success Brady has had is owed to cheating? Really? I just can't agree with that.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't. Objectively...even though I hate Brady, he's a hall of famer. But I wouldn't vote him in on the first ballot. "Conduct detrimental to the league."

Of course, I didn't think Thurman should get in on the first ballot either, for his sulk in Superbowl XXVIII. Yes, I'd be a really tough judge...but there's more to the game than the stat line. If you're a truly elite player, you get over your mistakes and play. And you don't cheat, and don't try to bull **** your way out of it when you're caught.