Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

True, but the discussion had veered towards an appeal if Brady (or even the NFL) is ruled against. If Brady loses, he should be looking to deal..

There will be no deal. The league won't consider a deal unless Brady accepts some form of responsibility for the balls. He is resolute in not accepting those terms because he doesn't believe that he is culpable to any degree. In addition, he is not going to go against his sworn testimoney and put himself in jeopardy.

If the league is ruled against the judge is going to write his judgment in such a way that it will be difficult to overcome in an appeal. Also, if RG loses the owners are not going to allow this fiasco to continue, regardless what the commissioner wants to do.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be no deal. The league won't consider a deal unless Brady accepts some form of responsibility for the balls. He is resolute in not accepting those terms because he doesn't believe that he is culpable to any degree. In addition, he is not going to go against his sworn testimoney and put himself in jeopardy.

If the league is ruled against the judge is going to write his judgment in such a way that it will be difficult to overcome in an appeal. Also, if RG loses the owners are not going to allow this fiasco to continue, regardless what the commissioner wants to do.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I can see the league appealing if it loses.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I can see the league appealing if it loses.

GO BILLS!!!

RG certainly would want to appeal. I have no doubt about that. I have the sense that the owners would not want this saga to continue if the league's position is not upheld. If the owners believe that the judge's ruling is written in such a way that their chances are not probable to win on an appeal they would make it clear to the commissioner that this exhausting legal battle must stop.

The judge in this case is very competent. Whatever opinion he renders will probably be upheld. Both parties recognize that.

So if it goes against Brady, does he appeal? I guess then the hope is the appeal lasts until after the season, but the risk is the appeal gets heard in December?

I ask you Weo as you seem more attuned to the Pats side of this and might have better insight

:lol: I see what you did there.

No doubt the league needs to clean up their act in these matters.

But in this case, there is evidence of a player engaging in paying a club employee to circumvent the rules, lying about it, and then refusing to cooperate in the ensuing investigation. Where does the league draw the line here? Just chalk it up as, "well, players will come and go and occasionally engage in illegal activities, but hey, what can we do?"

Yes, these systematic problems get created, but they are not all necessarily related and the league would be derelict in its duties to every team in the league if they allowed these things to go unchecked. You have to take a principled stand, regardless.

Otherwise, it's open season. And that's why owners of sports teams have commissioners and other league officials; to save them from themselves.

GO BILLS!!!

We could've been totally done with this in June if they entertained an outside arbitrator then, would be my main point there. Sometimes when you see it's going to be ultra contentious, it seems obvious to have a non-goodell person on hand for this. Not that they should've said whatever and let him go.

RG certainly would want to appeal. I have no doubt about that. I have the sense that the owners would not want this saga to continue if the league's position is not upheld. If the owners believe that the judge's ruling is written in such a way that their chances are not probable to win on an appeal they would make it clear to the commissioner that this exhausting legal battle must stop.

The judge in this case is very competent. Whatever opinion he renders will probably be upheld. Both parties recognize that.

I would assume that Doty's ruling was written in such a way in the Peterson case and yet, the league appealed.

The owners have a vested interest in the NFLPA adhering to the CBA and this case, like the Peterson case, may be worth fighting on that principle alone.

GO BILLS!!!

We could've been totally done with this in June if they entertained an outside arbitrator then, would be my main point there. Sometimes when you see it's going to be ultra contentious, it seems obvious to have a non-goodell person on hand for this. Not that they should've said whatever and let him go.

Thanks for the clarification. That's not what I took away from your earlier post.

GO BILLS!!!

I would assume that Doty's ruling was written in such a way in the Peterson case and yet, the league appealed.

The owners have a vested interest in the NFLPA adhering to the CBA and this case, like the Peterson case, may be worth fighting on that principle alone.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the clarification. That's not what I took away from your earlier post.

GO BILLS!!!

No prob. I was a bit ambiguous before. There are plenty of hiccups but even if a really tight process I think we see court no matter what if goodell hears this appeal. It seems that would've been an easy spot for the league to say "this is not dragging into September."

At that point even if Brady lost and wanted to appeal I can't see any of this drama.

An outside arbitrator would have ruled in Brady's favor.....so obviously Goodell wasn't going to want that.

The only reason most of these punishments are acceptable is because Goodell has been given the authority to dole out the punishment.

All the punitive work by Goodell has been a WIN-WIN for NFL owners.

Directs attention away from the effects of concussions.......makes them look pro-active and tough on crime.........and most importantly:

.....it has created a HUGE negotiating chip for owners to offer up in the next CBA.

I laugh at the people who think Goodell is on thin-ice. He is better for the owners than Tags EVER was.

Edited by #BADOL

Five things I want to happen, only because I do not know if we're a Super Bowl contender just yet.

1. Fred Jackson to Patriots.

2. Patriots win Super Bowl.

3. Fred Jackson MVP.

4. Roger Goodell hands the trophy directly to Brady with some odd tension.

5. Brady retires, announces he going in to absolute seclusion after divorcing Geiselle for a much more feminine Bruce Jenner and will never be heard from again.

What can the judge rule that would make an appeal difficult for the NFL?

What jeopardy would Brady place himself in if he accepts what the NFL has been asking for all along?

What can the judge rule that would make an appeal difficult for the NFL?

What jeopardy would Brady place himself in if he accepts what the NFL has been asking for all along?

The NFL is asking him to admit to breaking the rules. Since Brady's previous testimony has been entered into the court record, agreeing to that now would amount to perjury.

The NFL will go to a higher court if they lose this decision today or tomorrow.

My sources say that if he loses Brady may be leaning towards accepting this and letting it go and not taking it further.

What I want - is for Roger to have a meeting with the Refereeing committee and have them flag Tom* every time he raises his voice to a Ref during the game.

The NFL is asking him to admit to breaking the rules. Since Brady's previous testimony has been entered into the court record, agreeing to that now would amount to perjury.

No it wouldn't. He wasn't in a court of law and the NFL was clearly allowing him to admit guilt.

No it wouldn't. He wasn't in a court of law and the NFL was clearly allowing him to admit guilt.

I agree with Tuco. He made sworn statements regarding that he had nothing to do with the balls. If you give a false statement to the police you can be held liable for those statements. The FBI is noted for using that (false statement) charge, even if the statement wasn't given in court. In this case the sworn statement given by Brady, although not given in open court, was was given in a court proceeding.

I agree with Tuco. He made sworn statements regarding that he had nothing to do with the balls. If you give a false statement to the police you can be held liable for those statements. The FBI is noted for using that (false statement) charge, even if the statement wasn't given in court. In this case the sworn statement given by Brady, although not given in open court, was was given in a court proceeding.

i hadnt really thought of it in that sense, but if so, i suppose another reason why admissions of guilt would potentially be a challenge in settling. i dont think it would be a major issue though, honestly, in the sense that no one would pursue it.