Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

i hadnt really thought of it in that sense, but if so, i suppose another reason why admissions of guilt would potentially be a challenge in settling. i dont think it would be a major issue though, honestly, in the sense that no one would pursue it.

I think you underestimate the political aspirations and ego driven character of a lot of district attorneys and prosecutors out there. They live for publicity. Going after Tommy Girl would be a great way to get that kind of high level publicity. A lot of them love high profile controversial cases.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To extrapolate that in the extreme, if an accused murderer professes their innocence under oath throughout their trial, you're saying that if they somehow come to the point where they do confess to the judge, that they'll be prosecuted for "lying under oath"?

Don't make me laugh.

If B*r*a*d*y* admits he's guilty at some point in these proceedings, just who exactly is going to prosecute him for lying under oath? Peter Pan?

I think you underestimate the political aspirations and ego driven character of a lot of district attorneys and prosecutors out there. They live for publicity. Going after Tommy Girl would be a great way to get that kind of high level publicity. A lot of them love high profile controversial cases.

Ridiculous. They would never win an election in NewenGland... ever!

i hadnt really thought of it in that sense, but if so, i suppose another reason why admissions of guilt would potentially be a challenge in settling. i dont think it would be a major issue though, honestly, in the sense that no one would pursue it.

I agree with you that it is doubtful that there would be some legal action on that issue. However, Brady has been insistent, emphasized by his sworn statements, that he was not involved in that which he is charged with. Regardless how this ends up from a suspension standpoint I believe that it is important to him not to backtrack on his claim of innocence. His reputation is important to him. Contrary to what most people here I believe Brady never instructed anyone to lower the PSIs below the limit.

To extrapolate that in the extreme, if an accused murderer professes their innocence under oath throughout their trial, you're saying that if they somehow come to the point where they do confess to the judge, that they'll be prosecuted for "lying under oath"?

If B*r*a*d*y* admits he's guilty at some point in these proceedings, just who exactly is going to prosecute him for lying under oath?

They would never win an election in NewenGland... ever!

Way to blow it out of proportion and compare it to a murder case - now that is funny. It's not a murder case. I'm surprised I need to explain that to you.

It is possible that no prosecutor would want to touch it. It is also possible that someone would (like maybe someone who doesn't plan on living in New England for the rest of their lives perhaps.) Or someone who believes that nobody is above the law perhaps.

Not everyone is part of the good ole boy network. If they were, there would be no such thing as whistle blowers. Maybe someone in law enforcement holds him accountable and maybe not. There also might be a lot of pressure from outside the New England area that forces their hand. It is a national profile case you know. Who knows what would happen.....

Edited by PolishDave

Don't make me laugh.

If B*r*a*d*y* admits he's guilty at some point in these proceedings, just who exactly is going to prosecute him for lying under oath? Peter Pan?

Ridiculous. They would never win an election in NewenGland... ever!

Way to blow it out of proportion and compare it to a murder case - now that is funny. It's not a murder case. I'm surprised I need to explain that to you.

It is possible that no prosecutor would want to touch it. It is also possible that someone would (like maybe someone who doesn't plan on living in New England for the rest of their lives perhaps.) Or someone who believes that nobody is above the law perhaps.

Not everyone is part of the good ole boy network. If they were, there would be no such thing as whistle blowers. Maybe someone in law enforcement holds him accountable and maybe not. There also might be a lot of pressure from outside the New England area that forces their hand. It is a national profile case you know. Who knows what would happen.....

I'm not surprised that your lack of reading comprehension requires I highlight the obvious.

And it's bull **** to think he'd be prosecuted for "lying under oath" in these circumstances. Patently ridiculous.

I'm not surprised that your lack of reading comprehension requires I highlight the obvious.

And it's bull **** to think he'd be prosecuted for "lying under oath" in these circumstances. Patently ridiculous.

You are welcome my friend. Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

No reason to get excited. It is just an opinion. Sorry it doesn't agree with yours. Seems like a lot of pent up hostility around here.

What can the judge rule that would make an appeal difficult for the NFL?

What jeopardy would Brady place himself in if he accepts what the NFL has been asking for all along?

Sorry I didn't respond to your question in the prior post. The manner in which the judge frames his decision will affect how it will be reviewed by the next level of court. He can emphasize the process and fairness issue in his ruling and do it with coherency that would favor the Brady side. If he emphasizes the authority given to RG by the CBA he can write it up in a coherent way that makes it difficult for the next level of court to overturn.

There are two valid perspectives in this case. The issue isn't for the next level of court isn't whether the judge's decision is right or wrong so much as does it follow within the broad terms of the law and is it consistent with the law. You can take two separate positions and have both positions upheld based on following a particular concept of the law.

There are conflicting legal issues here that both merit legitimacy.

... Contrary to what most people here I believe Brady never instructed anyone to lower the PSIs below the limit.

Do you think he offered McNally compensation to deflate balls to his liking? That's not the same thing as instructing him to lower balls below 12.5 psi.

GO BILLS!!!

No it wouldn't. He wasn't in a court of law and the NFL was clearly allowing him to admit guilt.

Actually it would. Now I don't believe for a minute anybody would prosecute him for that. But there's also damage to his reputation. I know it's already damaged severely. But as long as he maintains complete innocence he still will always have a small amount of plausible deniability. That may not be worth much right now but as time passes he could still have some value through endorsements, etc. Admitting guilt would erase all that forever. Especially admitting guilt after all this time. Remember Kraft asked him right off if he did anything wrong and said if so let's deal with it.

I don't believe Brady is innocent at all. But at this point I certainly understand why he would be reluctant to ever admit guilt, If he was going to admit it the time would have been back in February. Admitting it at this point would tarnish him more than never admitting it.

I agree with Tuco. He made sworn statements regarding that he had nothing to do with the balls. If you give a false statement to the police you can be held liable for those statements. The FBI is noted for using that (false statement) charge, even if the statement wasn't given in court. In this case the sworn statement given by Brady, although not given in open court, was was given in a court proceeding.

Actually it would. Now I don't believe for a minute anybody would prosecute him for that. But there's also damage to his reputation. I know it's already damaged severely. But as long as he maintains complete innocence he still will always have a small amount of plausible deniability. That may not be worth much right now but as time passes he could still have some value through endorsements, etc. Admitting guilt would erase all that forever. Especially admitting guilt after all this time. Remember Kraft asked him right off if he did anything wrong and said if so let's deal with it.

I don't believe Brady is innocent at all. But at this point I certainly understand why he would be reluctant to ever admit guilt, If he was going to admit it the time would have been back in February. Admitting it at this point would tarnish him more than never admitting it.

Prosecutor?? When and in what criminal jurisdiction did Brady give a sworn statement where he could be charged with perjury?

And all of you beliefve that, when the NFL insisted on Brady admit guilt to get a lower punishment, they were setting up for a "perjury" charge? You can't be serious...

Prosecutor?? When and in what criminal jurisdiction did Brady give a sworn statement where he could be charged with perjury?

And all of you beliefve that, when the NFL insisted on Brady admit guilt to get a lower punishment, they were setting up for a "perjury" charge? You can't be serious...

I think what they are saying is yes, even though it was an appeal hearing he was sworn under oath and since then went to court it could now be considered perjury if he changes his story. But that the perjury charge would never happen, the NFL would never go after that. I was very surprised when i read that he could face a perjury charge a few months ago too. Not that anyone believes it would ever come to that.

"This highlights another difference from a trial, where attorneys often interrupt witnesses by raising assorted objections to the judge. In arbitration, in contrast, there are fewer interruptions and more opportunities for sustained discussion and give-and-take. Brady will answer questions posed by Goodell and other NFL officials, while Kessler will pose questions to NFL officials and Wells. ESPNs Adam Schefter reports that Brady will testify under oath during the hearing. Witnesses in arbitration hearings can elect to testify if the parties agreeGoodell, for example, testified during Ray Rices hearing in November 2014. By testifying under oath, Brady creates a serious legal risk for himself: He could face criminal charges for perjury if it is later proven (by a prosecutor, not Goodell) that he knowingly lied. At the same time, Brady sends a powerful message that hes willing to risk criminal charges to prove that he is innocent of the allegations."

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Nope. I don't believe that. I think they wanted him to admit he did it and then punish him and then move on. I very much think they wanted to make as little out of it as possible other than letting players know if you try to cheat you will be punished by the league.

As far as the sworn statement thing, I have no idea. I haven't been following the case very much at all in all honesty. I am suggesting that if he did lie under oath, then it is possible someone might want to nail him for it. Maybe it is a very small chance, it is a chance nonetheless. If he didn't lie under oath, then I suppose he wouldn't be at risk of that. I am no legal expert either. I just have personal experience knowing that prosecutors/district attorneys are very often times "seekers of the limelight" who like to be involved in controversial highly publicized cases, which this would classify as.

Do you think he offered McNally compensation to deflate balls to his liking? That's not the same thing as instructing him to lower balls below 12.5 psi.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't believe that he instructed anyone to deflate the balls below the legal limit. Whether he gave him or others gifts is not as significant as many think. He swore that he never asked any staff to provide him with balls under the limit. There is no secret that he wanted his balls at the lower end. Just as Aaron Rogers wanted his balls at the higher end. Some qbs wanted their balls worn a bit and others wanted their balls a little newer. Different balls for different qbs. I

I don't believe that he instructed anyone to deflate the balls below the legal limit. Whether he gave him or others gifts is not as significant as many think. He swore that he never asked any staff to provide him with balls under the limit. There is no secret that he wanted his balls at the lower end. Just as Aaron Rogers wanted his balls at the higher end. Some qbs wanted their balls worn a bit and others wanted their balls a little newer. Different balls for different qbs. I

So you truly believe McNally stole the balls and lowered them on his own?

I think what they are saying is yes, even though it was an appeal hearing he was sworn under oath and since then went to court it could now be considered perjury if he changes his story. But that the perjury charge would never happen, the NFL would never go after that. I was very surprised when i read that he could face a perjury charge a few months ago too. Not that anyone believes it would ever come to that.

"This highlights another difference from a trial, where attorneys often interrupt witnesses by raising assorted objections to the judge. In arbitration, in contrast, there are fewer interruptions and more opportunities for sustained discussion and give-and-take. Brady will answer questions posed by Goodell and other NFL officials, while Kessler will pose questions to NFL officials and Wells. ESPNs Adam Schefter reports that Brady will testify under oath during the hearing. Witnesses in arbitration hearings can elect to testify if the parties agreeGoodell, for example, testified during Ray Rices hearing in November 2014. By testifying under oath, Brady creates a serious legal risk for himself: He could face criminal charges for perjury if it is later proven (by a prosecutor, not Goodell) that he knowingly lied. At the same time, Brady sends a powerful message that hes willing to risk criminal charges to prove that he is innocent of the allegations."

No one who accepts a plea deal is ever charged with perjury. The suggestion that anyone would be charged is nonsense.

Did Brady even speak in court in this appeal of his appeal?

Personally, I'm still waiting for the Pats* to trot out all those other low level staffers that Brady showered with tens of thousands of dollars worth of memorabilia like he did McNally (whose name he later claimed he didn't even know). After all, they must be out there, right? Tommy does this for all the fellas, right? Especially those who are asked in texts to do things that benefit Tommy and who in said texts also demand such items from Tommy. As Barnum said, there's one born every minute....

No one who accepts a plea deal is ever charged with perjury. The suggestion that anyone would be charged is nonsense.

Did Brady even speak in court in this appeal of his appeal?

He spoke under oath in his appeal hearing, which is what the lawyer I quoted above is referring to. He spoke for a long time and told some of his very biggest whoppers. It was in a hearing room, not an official courtroom, but since he is still under oath in this appeal hearing he can be charged with perjury if he lies, yes.

How can you possibly post so much in this thread, and criticize and contest so much, without knowing whether Brady testified in his appeal hearing?

He spoke under oath in his appeal hearing, which is what the lawyer I quoted above is referring to. He spoke for a long time and told some of his very biggest whoppers. It was in a hearing room, not an official courtroom, but since he is still under oath in this appeal hearing he can be charged with perjury if he lies, yes.

How can you possibly post so much in this thread, and criticize and contest so much, without knowing whether Brady testified in his appeal hearing?

I'm talking about the hearing before the judge. What did he say?

And again, there would never be a perjury charge if he accepted guilt. If he doesn't accept guilt, he can't be proven a liar.

Edited by Mr. WEO