Anyone Else Getting Sick of the NFL?

Mark80

Agree about soccer players in the rest of the world. Do I think if the U.S. Decided we wanted to win only one sport like soccer, we could win it? Absolutely. We have the best athletes in the world because we have the most diverse athletes. Russell Westbrook would be an all time great soccer player if he grew up playing it.

Same with rugby. I went to Australia and New Zealand (go all blacks) and they laughed at how bad our rugby team is. I told them if we took our NFL players and had them train in rugby for a few years, they would be world champs.

The U.S. Certainly has its problems. But we have the greatest collection of athletes in the world and its not close.

I can agree with this, no problem.

NFL? Try living in central Ohio and all you hear about are the Buckeyes this and Buckeyes that.

:sick:

Actually I have lived in CBus and it never really bothered me.

There are many people who feel the way you do, but they aren't participating at a football fan forum in July, so you are unlikely to hear that point of view here.

The hype and over-promotion of the NFL is long since out of control. I tune most of it out as I like the football games, not the hype.

I haven't watched non-Bills games live in years. The commercials and stoppages make the games unwatchable. I DVR them all, give the game a good 1 hour head start, and then FF through all commercials, talking head garbage, intros, half-time nonsense, etc.

It's great.

You should simply try to start tuning some of the nonsense out; it isn't hard to do.

I actually did this for the NBA playoffs this season for a lot of games. It was an absolute game changer. So much better to watch that way, especially the last 5 minutes.

And I agree, it's the over-promotion, over-hype, and over-coverage that is getting to me, not the actual games. But that is making me resent the actual Non-Bills games to some extent.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL is the most compelling and interesting sport in this country. I like hockey but the players are boring and most of the country doesn't care about it. I'm a big baseball fan but it doesn't appeal to a lot of younger people as much. Soccer will do well when there is a big tournament but will always struggle to make a dent on the population here. NBA and college football/ basketball are all tied for the 2nd spot.

NFL is king. I think Goodell is a joke but the game of football is such a beautiful sport.

Hockey players are catching up. You've got one guy who beat his wife, the Richards drama, and hell, the Sabres new Star player drove into a Tim Hortons.

I think the problem, OP, is that you watch ESPN.

This is not a statement against the Bills. I am in no way shape or form sick of the Bills, but man am I starting to really get sick of the NFL. It's on ESPN ad nauseam, it's on other media outlets (other sports and non-sports channels, radio, movies, print, internet) every single day. I have already seen commercials for the SB on tv and it's freaking July! There is, simply, no off-season where the NFL is not getting shoved down our throats from every angle and it seems to be unavoidable. It's just overkill to me and I'm wondering if others are feeling the same or if they enjoy the 24/7/365 coverage / marketing machine that it has turned into the last 10 or so years. Personally, I'd just love a break from it all. MLB gets about 5 minutes of coverage per hour on ESPN and it's the only major sport in action right now and the trade deadline is a week away. NHL free agency coverage was non-existent beyond local radio and the NHL network. MLS? Forget about it and it's the fastest growing league in the country. Not to mention the great soccer leagues across the pond that are barely ever mentioned and they are the most popular sports leagues in the world. I just don't understand how with so many great sports and so much variety that exists, why the nation seems to only cover the NFL (and NBA and College Football to a lesser extent)? It's ruining football for me and I really don't have any desire to watch any non-Bills games anymore when I used to watch every game that was on.

Mark, I know how you feel...I have gone through the same thing...but about 3 or 4 years ago, I stopped watching ESPN with any kind of regularity...I pretty much only watch the NFL Network (which, IMO, is a pretty terrible product too, when you think about how good it could be) during the off-season for some immediate draft coverage, and the "NFL Classics" (I love that ****!). I don't listen to sports talk radio near as much as I used to...but I still love the games on Sunday, and Monday nights...no Thursdays for me, unless the Bills are playing. I don't hate the sports, I hate all the cottage industries that sprout up around them.

Yes football is not what it was. It is all about drama, PC, dancing with stars, marketing, halftime shows. !@#$ Goodall. Deflategate, Ray RIce debacle, bullygate, his wishy washy handling of Ray Rice and Brady. If the sport was not so compelling, I wouldn't watch it. I swear every move the NFL does makes me be a fan of the league a little less

Edited by Pete

Yes football is not what it was. It is all about drama, PC, dancing with stars, marketing, halftime shows. !@#$ Goodall. Deflategate, Ray RIce debacle, bullygate, his wishy washy handling of Ray Rice and Brady. If the sport was not so compelling, I wouldn't watch it. I swear every move the NFL does makes me be a fan of the league a little less

They already have the core fans. They want to expand and to do that they have the above to attract the people that wouldn't normally care about it.

If you start with one fan who is interested in watching the sport of football, then as long as they play football, they have that fan. They want to get that fan's wife involved. And kids. And neighbor. This may annoy the original fan, because they are in it for the core game, but to expand the NFL tries to diversify its product. The result is sometimes god awful, and sometimes decent.

Edited by What a Tuel

Turn off whatever entertainment medium you're paying attention to and GO OUTSIDE.

I listen to WGR a couple of times a week in my truck. Other than that, I don't have anything to do with football shows that are about the upcoming season. About the only thing I pay attention to is the history type stuff on NFLN (Addicted to "America's Game" and "A Football Life", for example).

The rest of the stuff is pretty much total garbage. The "expert" talking heads are generally anything but. Why waste the time?

I am not sick of football or the Bills, but I have been "over" the NFL since about 2005.

Up until Pegula bought the team I had always said that once the Bills leave Buffalo, I would be done with the NFL and just stick to the much more entertaining College Football.

I am not sick of football or the Bills, but I have been "over" the NFL since about 2005.

Up until Pegula bought the team I had always said that once the Bills leave Buffalo, I would be done with the NFL and just stick to the much more entertaining College Football.

I never understood the whole college vs. NFL debate. I love the sport. I don't know why you have to like one or the other.

Turn off whatever entertainment medium you're paying attention to and GO OUTSIDE.

I listen to WGR a couple of times a week in my truck. Other than that, I don't have anything to do with football shows that are about the upcoming season. About the only thing I pay attention to is the history type stuff on NFLN (Addicted to "America's Game" and "A Football Life", for example).

The rest of the stuff is pretty much total garbage. The "expert" talking heads are generally anything but. Why waste the time?

You're absolutely right. I watch zero "NFL Insider" shows on TV. I rarely even watch the pregame shows. I get my news from the links I find on this site and Twitter. Occasionally I'll tune in to NFL Radio on Sirius but even that is short-lived. If I'm researching anything online, it's just for fantasy football purposes.

And I love the NFL.

This is not a statement against the Bills. I am in no way shape or form sick of the Bills, but man am I starting to really get sick of the NFL. It's on ESPN ad nauseam, it's on other media outlets (other sports and non-sports channels, radio, movies, print, internet) every single day. I have already seen commercials for the SB on tv and it's freaking July! There is, simply, no off-season where the NFL is not getting shoved down our throats from every angle and it seems to be unavoidable. It's just overkill to me and I'm wondering if others are feeling the same or if they enjoy the 24/7/365 coverage / marketing machine that it has turned into the last 10 or so years. Personally, I'd just love a break from it all. MLB gets about 5 minutes of coverage per hour on ESPN and it's the only major sport in action right now and the trade deadline is a week away. NHL free agency coverage was non-existent beyond local radio and the NHL network. MLS? Forget about it and it's the fastest growing league in the country. Not to mention the great soccer leagues across the pond that are barely ever mentioned and they are the most popular sports leagues in the world. I just don't understand how with so many great sports and so much variety that exists, why the nation seems to only cover the NFL (and NBA and College Football to a lesser extent)? It's ruining football for me and I really don't have any desire to watch any non-Bills games anymore when I used to watch every game that was on.

Nope...in fact, I wish there was more...its by far the most interesting sport in this country IMO and love all that I can get from it. Im not even close to tired of it and honestly, I am sick of baseball coverage which is about as boring as it gets.

I never understood the whole college vs. NFL debate. I love the sport. I don't know why you have to like one or the other.

It's not so much a debate to me, I liked both for years. IMO, the college game has been getting better over the past decade, and the NFL has been getting worse. I just dont like the way the NFL is shaping their game.