5 Bills RBs, 4 Spots Available?

It could both be Bryce Brown and Fred.

We all love us some Fredex, but the position has evolved within the past 10 years favoring youth over age. Due to make over 2 mil, Fred could be a casualty for opening up space for resigning of Dareus and Gilmore.

If Fred is cut, I can see him be offered an option somewhere within the organization, possibly business side of game day operations or a team liaison.

We also have Connor and Felton at FB, not sure if they keep two.

Overall, it will be interesting to see what happens. Boobie was a great addition to ST last season. Karlos Williams may also be a key figure on ST. One question is Thigpen. Thigpen was picked up late last season. He did a great job on ST, but was listed as a WR. In Miami he was RB/TE listed. Don't know the rules, but we also have a log jam at WR. Do they switch Thigpen to RB?

Edited by KollegeStudnet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1565441-bills-training-camp-battle-5-rbs-4-spots

Who is the odd man out at RB? Most assume--myself included-- it's Bryce Brown, but Doug Whaley may have a say on the matter. In the article above, I discuss each RB and why they will or won't make the opening day roster.

I personally would have liked to see a little more research into why Roman didn't give Booby much work in SF. To me that's the wildcard here. SF kept drafting guys like we have with Williams and while they didn't cut booby they didn't re-sign him either. If I remember correctly when he got here, he wanted to prove he could carry the ball regularly which is implying Roman didn't think he could in SF. With the bevy of ST guys we have I won't be surprised if Booby's out -if- Bryce can hold onto the football in practice and in the preseason games.

the real problem is fred, we all know brown is supposed to be good, and we gave up a 4rth for him, we all saw how good boobie actually is, as a back up. We would assume williams is good and on ST he is an asset. if only we didnt all love fred so much, itd be a no-brainer. I think all that being said Bryce gets cut.

I'm just glad we have this stable heading into camp. You never know, an injury could make the decision for us

exactly

the real problem is fred, we all know brown is supposed to be good, and we gave up a 4rth for him, we all saw how good boobie actually is, as a back up. We would assume williams is good and on ST he is an asset. if only we didnt all love fred so much, itd be a no-brainer. I think all that being said Bryce gets cut.

we do love Fred but it's more than that IMO. Though he's not a #1 RB anymore he still does some things very effectively. He is worth his roster spot IMO and that's not just being sentimental.

Boobie is valuable on special teams unless Karlos Williams proves he is equivalent or better.

I see Bryce Brown getting cut but you never know with injuries and things. So depth is valuable in the event another team loses an rb maybe a deal can be made for one of the players on the back end.

This is what I can see. this way if 1 RB goes down they already have a backup on the current roster

We all love us some Fredex, but the position has evolved within the past 10 years favoring youth over age. Due to make over 2 mil, Fred could be a casualty for opening up space for resigning of Dareus and Gilmore.

If Fred is cut, I can see him be offered an option somewhere within the organization, possibly business side of game day operations or a team liaison.

Overall, it will be interesting to see what happens. Boobie was a great addition to ST last season. Karlos Williams may also be a key figure on ST. One question is Thigpen. Thigpen was picked up late last season. He did a great job on ST, but was listed as a WR. In Miami he was RB/TE listed. Don't know the rules, but we also have a log jam at WR. Do they switch Thigpen to RB?

Connor is probably just a camp body... right?

Yes, the real problem is Fred. We all love Fred, but he's getting old. He's going to have to go at some point. I really like Bryce and believe he'd be a good back up to McCoy (like back in Philly). Boobie has his ST skills, but his relationship w/ Roman may be the key. I really like Boobie too. He stepped it up last year and I think we all started to see why all the SF fans were sad to see him go. We know what Williams did in college, but that was college. If he shows potential...then it's a real issue. I'd hate to do it, but Fred may be the one to go. Sorry Fred, but it's a young man's game. Not a popular opinion, but it'll have to happen at some point. Yes, maybe we can find a trade partner for one of these guys that isn't name McCoy.

Connor is probably just a camp body... right?

This is what I see with Conner-- right now he is Felton insurance. This offense is going to be using a FB. No doubt. If Felton gets hurt at any point this year, they will need Conner. They will want him to have been through TC so he knows the offense and plays, and has reps with the team/chemistry. They can keep him in the 53 and make him inactive in gameday, or cut him altogether if Felton is healthy and they need Conner's roster spot. If Felton gets injured during the year they can re-sign him. They probably figure based on his position there is little chance he would be signed by another team.

Its probably Bryce Brown

and

It might be boobie dixon though I really like his versitility

Only way Dixon is dropped is if The Terminator really shows up and locks down FB depth!

Dixon is pretty much a lock as backup FB, which we're obviously planning on using a decent amount (not to mention ST). Now if we do take Conner then do we drop both Dixon and Brown?!

Williams is almost certainly going to make it as well on upside/ST alone.

As long as Fred is the best blocker when we're going in the air I don't see him getting cut.

Edited by Steve Billieve

Only way Dixon is dropped is if The Terminator really shows up and locks down FB depth!

Dixon is pretty much a lock as backup FB, which we're obviously planning on using a decent amount (not to mention ST). Now if we do take Conner then do we drop both Dixon and Brown?!

Williams is almost certainly going to make it as well on upside/ST alone.

As long as Fred is the best blocker when we're going in the air I don't see him getting cut.

I agree with this. I feel as if Dixon will learn the FB role. His flexibility could be very helpful in disguising plays and confusion among defenses.

If Boobie is on in a 3 WR (Sammy, Woods, Harvin)/1 TE set on 3rd and short, there are 4 potential ball carriers (assuming Cassel isn't QB) and 2 potential lead blockers out of the back field. I like to think Roman wants this in his offense.

I think Boobie may be the guy out, and probably only because we have a FB and because Karlos is known for being good on ST. Our roster is loaded with guys who can play ST now, so while Boobie was very valuable last year as an addition, he's not nearly as important now. I like Bobbie, think he's a great guy and a pretty good runner. But there is really no carries for him with Fred being a #2, Shady the bellcow and Karlos the short yardage kind of guy, plus a FB, plus a few TEs that are going to line up in the backfield.

I think that Brown stays and is not active most game days barring injury. Shady, Fred, Karlos and Felton are 4 active RBs.

I think Boobie may be the guy out, and probably only because we have a FB and because Karlos is known for being good on ST. Our roster is loaded with guys who can play ST now, so while Boobie was very valuable last year as an addition, he's not nearly as important now. I like Bobbie, think he's a great guy and a pretty good runner. But there is really no carries for him with Fred being a #2, Shady the bellcow and Karlos the short yardage kind of guy, plus a FB, plus a few TEs that are going to line up in the backfield.

I think that Brown stays and is not active most game days barring injury. Shady, Fred, Karlos and Felton are 4 active RBs.

plus we have some wrs that will eat up gadget carries, and some potential qb runs -- theres just not going to be a lot of offensive touches left for boobie and hes pricey as a guy thats not even your top special teamer.

Karlos the short yardage kind of guy, plus a FB,

While Karlos looks powerful, I don't see him as a FB. I just don't think hes got the mass to take on a DL or LB in the hole. Hard to bring down yes, but not sure he'll be effective as a FB.

With that said, I think you make good points abou how Boobie could be odd man out; this would probably require Connor being brought to TC to be ready to go in case anything happens to Felton (I now don't think Connor makes the 53). Also there is always the fact that Roman and SF didn't resign Boobie. I still think Boobie will make the 53 though.

Yes, the real problem is Fred. We all love Fred, but he's getting old. He's going to have to go at some point. I really like Bryce and believe he'd be a good back up to McCoy (like back in Philly). Boobie has his ST skills, but his relationship w/ Roman may be the key. I really like Boobie too. He stepped it up last year and I think we all started to see why all the SF fans were sad to see him go. We know what Williams did in college, but that was college. If he shows potential...then it's a real issue. I'd hate to do it, but Fred may be the one to go. Sorry Fred, but it's a young man's game. Not a popular opinion, but it'll have to happen at some point. Yes, maybe we can find a trade partner for one of these guys that isn't name McCoy.

Fred is NOT the problem. It may complicate things, because he won't last forever, but unitl he is NOT the better pass blocker, until he does NOT do a better job of holding onto the ball and until he does NOT see the crack, slip through it and fall forward for the first down, Fred is the answer at #2 back. I wouldn't be shocked to see him hurt some (again) this year, and maybe even finish on IR, but he does some important things better than the guys behind him. For now. When that changes we have a new ball game, but until we see otherwise, I'm in Fred's corner.

While Karlos looks powerful, I don't see him as a FB. I just don't think hes got the mass to take on a DL or LB in the hole. Hard to bring down yes, but not sure he'll be effective as a FB.

With that said, I think you make good points abou how Boobie could be odd man out; this would probably require Connor being brought to TC to be ready to go in case anything happens to Felton (I now don't think Connor makes the 53). Also there is always the fact that Roman and SF didn't resign Boobie. I still think Boobie will make the 53 though.

I meant that because we have a FB, like Felton, he would get the surprise carry in a two back offense that Boobie might get, lessening the need even more. And would get the short yardage action that Boobie might get if we didn't have a FB on the team.

IF Fred is cut, I can see him being offered a contract by the Pats***