Pro surfer gets attacked by shark on live TV

Holy moly! I just got back from the Outer Banks and I didn't go in the ocean deeper than my ankles.

#stilltopofthefoodchain

Sharks would have needed just one sniff to realize years of drinking have left you pickled an not tasting well. They would have moved on.

I wonder if they resumed the final. No way would I have gone back out in that water after that.

Split the points & coin. Amazing how they can approach unseen, even in relatively shallow water. Crowd on the hill would've got an amazing viewing. Juvenile or not, those teeth are amazingly sharp and still pack a massive bite force. Good luck to Mick in the remaining back end to the season.

The board saved him from some serious damage. Unbelievably lucky.

Lucky he was hit by a little baby great white shark that didn't know what it was doing. An adult Zambezi shark would have turned him into pate.

The board saved him from some serious damage. Unbelievably lucky.

I was watching a shark program, and the experts opinion is that the sharks attack the board and not the surfer because the board resembles a seal from below. Humans aren't good prey. They also tested some repellents, and a strobe light seems to be very effective. Won't surprise me if surfboards have strobe LEDs in the near future.

Edit - here we are

Edited by GG

I was watching a shark program, and the experts opinion is that the sharks attack the board and not the surfer because the board resembles a seal from below. Humans aren't good prey. They also tested some repellents, and a strobe light seems to be very effective. Won't surprise me if surfboards have strobe LEDs in the near future.

Edit - here we are

Very cool. What the hell -- why not embed strobe LEDs into board shorts and bikinis as well?

Too funny the soccer/surfer/shark meme!

Somebody mention strobes and bubbles? LoL... Thank the Asian carp??? ;-) ;-) I am sure strobe & bubbles are already in use on the St. Croix where it meets the Upper MS... This being 2015. They gotta put strobes and bubble curtains down in St. Louis. Wasn't a wayward bull shark found in the MS river @ St. Louis some moons ago?

From 2010:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/02/12/could-strobe-lights-and-bubble-curtains-stop-invasive-asian-carp/#.VbBPJ5m3M94

From 2012:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-07/lights2c-sounds-and-bubble-curtains-to-deter-sharks/4415756

Acoustical devices too... Here they were milling about putting in sound canons in the water. The same tech that the Navy developed to deter enemy frogmen from swimming to a ship.

Can't be too proactive, especially w/those pesky bull sharks making it all the way to St. Louis... Especially if there is big prey to be had (Asian carp & Humans)...

Just kidding of course... But think how the tech out there gets shared between problems. I suppose electric current would work to, especially on hammerhead sharks. Yet, a current field wouldn't be too nice on surfers... LoL...

It's only a matter of time. We protect the Great Lakes from sharks! Ha!

Too funny the soccer/surfer/shark meme!

Somebody mention strobes and bubbles? LoL... Thank the Asian carp??? ;-) ;-) I am sure strobe & bubbles are already in use on the St. Croix where it meets the Upper MS... This being 2015. They gotta put strobes and bubble curtains down in St. Louis. Wasn't a wayward bull shark found in the MS river @ St. Louis some moons ago?

From 2010:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/02/12/could-strobe-lights-and-bubble-curtains-stop-invasive-asian-carp/#.VbBPJ5m3M94

From 2012:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-07/lights2c-sounds-and-bubble-curtains-to-deter-sharks/4415756

Acoustical devices too... Here they were milling about putting in sound canons in the water. The same tech that the Navy developed to deter enemy frogmen from swimming to a ship.

Can't be too proactive, especially w/those pesky bull sharks making it all the way to St. Louis... Especially if there is big prey to be had (Asian carp & Humans)...

Just kidding of course... But think how the tech out there gets shared between problems. I suppose electric current would work to, especially on hammerhead sharks. Yet, a current field wouldn't be too nice on surfers... LoL...

It's only a matter of time. We protect the Great Lakes from sharks! Ha!

Does anyone know if a strobe LED will get EII to stop bitching about the damn carp?