Student blows $90K College fund gift left by grandparents.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know kids who "blow" their college funds going to school with no plan or idea what they are working toward. At least this woman got to enjoy some of it.

I tell people if you aren't sure of your major go to your local community college for the first two years to take your requirements. It's not sexy but you'll spend a lot less while you figure out what you want to become.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

that's what my son is doing while working full time at target, they have tuition reimbursement, i don't want him to be saddled with student loans and i certainly don't have the money to give him. couple classes at a time, figure out what works for him and then go from there.

I know kids who "blow" their college funds going to school with no plan or idea what they are working toward. At least this woman got to enjoy some of it.

I tell people if you aren't sure of your major go to your local community college for the first two years to take your requirements. It's not sexy but you'll spend a lot less while you figure out what you want to become.

Her comment about her mom and dad not teaching her about money is spot on. I blame them for not holding the purse strings on that money. You give $90k to a 18-19 year old do not be surprised when theyblow through it. So they didn't sit her down and tell her going to Europe was not a wise thing? Parents, for some reason, want to be their kid's friend vs a parent these days

100% correct. What 18-year-old do you know who makes logical, reasonable decisions?

no need to run away...been trying to, my bank has called a couple times recently asking if everything was ok, as they didn't see many charges at the Flying Pig :D

Well, maybe if you cut back on your beer money....

[runs away]

As someone who works in academics.....

- I told both of my kids.....if you are seriously considering going onto college then you need to show it in your High School grades or I wont take you seriously......your junior and senior year. And you also better have an idea of WHAT you want to major in. If you DONT know what you want then I suggest a nursing program, or going to technical school while you figure it out (dealing school was strongly pushed because you can work a job like that....make good money....and keep gong to school if you want)

- My son originally was going to go to school on a D1 scholarship but tore up his knee his senior year.......so he went a different route.....got his personal trainer certification......got his massage therapist license.....and work a couple of different jobs in those areas make excellent money (I also paid for him to go to dealing school.....which he may or may not use but considerably less then going to a 4 year BS degree college).....so while his friends going to school were broke because their parents were shelling every penny they had into their college tuition.....my son was driving around in a new car and he was paying for himself and always had money in his pocket.......now he had decided to go back to school and is going to try to walk on at Oregon. He already has a job as a personal trainer out there and the only thing I cover on him is his insurance through my job.

- My daughter will be going to dealing school as soon as she is old enough and continues to work to pursue her own entertainment industry interests........I also did not push her to go to college.

- Then you have kids like this who blow through 90K of money and make excuses as to why it did not turn into a degree........

- I work with graduate students at my university and it is COMMON for the students after being admitted to either be a teaching assistant or a graduate student researcher to work their way through college.....a job like that gives them a small live on salary and pays the majority of their school fees.

Then you have the girl that doesnt want to work in the cafeteria to pay her way through college. Send her my we she is in bad need of a student advisor to tell her whats up.

2 weeks ago, first paycheck at new company, it was a paper check as the direct deposit hadn't gone through yet, but I go to the bank quite often.

Ok I go into a bank once a month. I get live reimbursement checks for business expenses. I go inside to use a pen to endorse the check before I use the ATM. :D

Ok I go into a bank once a month. I get live reimbursement checks for business expenses. I go inside to use a pen to endorse the check before I use the ATM. :D

Lame. I carry a pen in my car, and use the drive up ATM to make my deposit.