Student blows $90K College fund gift left by grandparents.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-college-student-blows-inheritance-bert-show-205833329.html;_ylt=A0SO8w124KlV98sAgohXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycjhrNmJ1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQTAxMDRfMQRzZWMDc3I-

in just short three years she had managed to blow through a $90,000 college fund left to her by her grandparents. Kim has one year left of school and no way to cover her remaining $20,000 tuition balance.

Full Interview

http://thebertshow.com/she-should-have-enough-money-for-college-but-she-spent-it-all/

“Maybe [my parents] should have taught me to budget or something. They never sat me down and had a real serious talk about it.”

“I used it to budget for school clothes and college break money. I probably should have not done that. I took a trip to Europe. The Europe thing I thought was part of my education and that’s how I tried to justify that.”

Bert Show co-host Jeff Dauler: "You could get a job for the school ...maybe the cafeteria's hiring."

Kim: "That’s embarrassing... [working part-time] could have such a negative effect on my grades and me as a person."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last statement by the host is very telling... This girl's experience is going to teacher her way more than any class will. With that said, we'll probably see her one a faces of meth website in the near future.

Her comment about her mom and dad not teaching her about money is spot on. I blame them for not holding the purse strings on that money. You give $90k to a 18-19 year old do not be surprised when theyblow through it. So they didn't sit her down and tell her going to Europe was not a wise thing? Parents, for some reason, want to be their kid's friend vs a parent these days

I laughed at the part where she didn't know how to get a loan.

After 3yrs of college she asks if she has to go inside a bank to get one. :doh:

And you know damned well that she's going to bitching in a few years about how unfair it was to loan her money and expect her to pay it back.

I can't remember the last time I set foot into a bank.

Last time I stepped foot in a bank was a little over a year ago when I used their complimentary notary service. Before that, 2011 to get a cashiers check for my mortgage down payment. Before that :unsure:. Let me get back to you on that one

It sounds more like she doesn't even know where loans come from. She's asking if she has to go apply inside a bank instead of having the money magically appear in her checking account.

Also, if she's too embarrassed to work while in school, How is she going to react once she has to find a job afterwards? What is she in school to learn?

Spoiled brat with **** parents, apparently. Tough life.

I don't know why more parents don't sit down with their children and teach them proper budgeting. But then I realized, most people in general don't budget properly, and that's why we have so many credit problems heh. I do think budgeting should be a part of high school... real life math/finances or something.

Edited by Dorkington

Spoiled brat with **** parents, apparently. Tough life.

I don't know why more parents don't sit down with their children and teach them proper budgeting. But then I realized, most people in general don't budget properly, and that's why we have so many credit problems heh. I do think budgeting should be a part of high school... real life math/finances or something.

In High school, we were given an assignment on household budgeting in Social Studies during Senior year. We were able to choose any profession (teacher approved) and created a list of monthly expenses based on average starting salaries. You should have seen the crap everyone bought. Even with about $1000/month limit, the lists included gaming systems, designer clothes, luxury cars, etc.

I don't think it's just about teaching kids how to budget their money, They also have to face that moment when they need cash for a necessity and there just isn't anyway to get any more. The reality is that people get in trouble financially because they max out their monthly allotment without leaving room for emergencies. How many times have you heard someone say they can afford "$$$$ per month" instead of looking at the total price?

Edited by unbillievable

Mine was last weekend, I needed quarters for laundry, and the local stores don't "sell" rolls of quarters anymore.

It sounds more like she doesn't even know where loans come from. She's asking if she has to go apply inside a bank instead of having the money magically appear in her checking account.

My bank I can do everything for a loan application online, until papers needs to be signed, then I need to go in.