Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

Mods, I appreciate the inclusion of the date now, that helps on a regular computer, but make no difference on a mobile devise (which is where most of us have to access it while working) :flirt: It takes forever to scroll through to get to the latest posts.

Could you consider doing a new one for each day, or maybe every other day?

Thanks

Scroll to the bottom of page 1 of a thread and click Full Version. It will give you a page that looks like a 'regular computer' version.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time i checked, AirMailed was a bad term..and so was regressing...but then this was posted:

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne

EJ Manuel whistles a touchdown out of nowhere to Watkins in the back of the end zone this red zone drill. Then, an overthrow.

Edit: Dang Lothar...you got me as i went back to copy the post

it's not the plays you make it's the mistakes - Jimmy Johnson

Sacrificing a future number one pick when the QB was at best a major question mark was not a sound strategy, at all. Especially in a receiver-rich draft.

Any future number one pick was at best going to be a major question mark anyway, particularly if using it on QB. Even #1 overall QBs are usually major question marks after only one year in the league.

You keep looking at things from your own insular perspective. You personally didn't rate EJ as a legit 1st round prospect prior to the draft so your view of what sound strategy is, is skewed. Imagine that you put in a tonne of effort in scouting a QB and you find one that you determine is of high potential and worthy of 1st round selection. After an up & down rookie season, do you start second guessing yourself? Of course you don't. You continue with your plan to build a winning team by stacking the roster with as much talent as you can.

The receiver rich draft line of thinking is specious logic in regards to Watkins. Every draft there is usually 3-8 rare prospects that are considered to be elite. Watkins was one of these. Having extra very good WRs in the draft makes no difference to the concept that Watkins was the only elite WR prospect. Again, maybe you didn't personally consider him as such prior to the draft and your view is skewed from your personal viewpoint....but imagine, as the Bills and several other teams thought, that after all of your work in studying the prospects that you too believed that Watkins was the best prospect overall in the entire draft. Do you pass up getting him purely because there are several other good WR prospects? That would be like passing on Elway because you could get Tony Eason instead.

Edited by Dibs

The Watkins pick actually makes perfect sense. When one drafts a QB in the 1st round one is hopeful that he will become a frachise calibre QB. This means that you don't look to waste the pick by seeking to replace him after one year(unless he shows himself to be a disaster). You might also want to draft a WR who theoretically will blossom at a similar time to your young QB(WRs traditionally coming on in their 3rd year).

Assuming that EJ never pans out, it does not mean that Whaley's plan to build a team was bad.....for had his prime piece of the puzzle(QB) panned out, he would be sitting pretty with a WR like Watkins on the team.

Yes it was, He picked him too soon and didn't draft ANY other QBs in the process.

I'll leave it to your handy devises, Yolo. It'll also be easier in the future to go back and find a post/event to pontificate on.

Just make sure Astro knows to post in your new daily threads.

i think Astro does his own threads. I may not be timely enough to start all the threads but I'm sure someone will! If I'm on here and there is a practice and I see one hasn't been started yet, I'll be sure to do so.

The one strategy the Bills have not tried is to be patient with a QB and build the team around him. Losman actually put together a decent season and then the beginning of the next year Wilfork dove at his knee and took him out. Trent looked decent until Wilson rung his bell. Giving EJ time to develop is a good play, imo. We'll see what happens this year.

You'd make a great soldier as you wont surrender no matter the odds.

Listen, we wanted EJ to be good but he was only ok in college and is no better now, time to wave the white flag

Any future number one pick was at best going to be a major question mark anyway, particularly if using it on QB. Even #1 overall QBs are usually major question marks after only one year in the league.

You keep looking at things from your own insular perspective. You personally didn't rate EJ as a legit 1st round prospect prior to the draft so your view of what sound strategy is, is skewed. Imagine that you put in a tonne of effort in scouting a QB and you find one that you determine is of high potential and worthy of 1st round selection. After an up & down rookie season, do you start second guessing yourself? Of course you don't. You continue with your plan to build a winning team by stacking the roster with as much talent as you can.

The receiver rich draft line of thinking is specious logic in regards to Watkins. Every draft there is usually 3-8 rare prospects that are considered to be elite. Watkins was one of these. Having extra very good WRs in the draft makes no difference to the concept that Watkins was the only elite WR prospect. Again, maybe you didn't personally consider him as such prior to the draft and your view is skewed from your personal viewpoint....but imagine, as the Bills and several other teams thought, that after all of your work in studying the prospects that you too believed that Watkins was the best prospect overall in the entire draft. Do you pass up getting him purely because there are several other good WR prospects? That would be like passing on Elway because you could get Tony Eason instead.

I don't want to derail this overstuffed thread, so I'll leave it be after this - but suffice to say, I had no opinion about EJ before the draft, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. But I'm in the camp of not trading away future assets unless you have a proven - PROVEN - QB on the roster, because until you have one, you're going to be looking for one, whether that's the guy you just drafted or someone else. And moreover, even if you think the guy you just drafted is The Guy, you still hedge your bets and bring in competition until you're SURE about it.

Camp Highlight: Taylor Long Touchdown to Goodwin (0:27)
Watch as Marquise Goodwin shows off his speed with a long touchdown catch from Tyrod Taylor.

Camp Highlight: Watkins Red Zone Touchdown (0:25)
Watch as Sammy Watkins catches the tipped pass from EJ Manuel for the touchdown.

Top 3 things you need to know from Day 5 of Bills camp
Every day we’ll be bringing you the top three happenings or developments that you need to know from Bills training camp. Here’s what went down on day five.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I don't want to derail this overstuffed thread, so I'll leave it be after this - but suffice to say, I had no opinion about EJ before the draft, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. But I'm in the camp of not trading away future assets unless you have a proven - PROVEN - QB on the roster, because until you have one, you're going to be looking for one, whether that's the guy you just drafted or someone else. And moreover, even if you think the guy you just drafted is The Guy, you still hedge your bets and bring in competition until you're SURE about it.

Amen!

I hate to be that guy, but you guys do know that "hedge" in the business sense is to make an investment in a related field to offset the risk of an earlier, riskier investment, right?

The example I was given was, after procuring an airline, that you buy a fuel supplier so you absorb some of the risk of price fluctuations.

Or, you know, get a stud WR prospect to help out a QB who had a rocky start.