Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

From Dickinson's wikipedia entry (oh boy):

Throughout his coaching career, he has been credited to work with NFL quarterbacks Troy Aikman, J.P. Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Gus Frerotte,[8]Rudy Carpenter, Josh Freeman,[9]Rhett Bomar,[10]Matt Barkley,[11] and Chase Daniel. He is also credited with the development of college quarterbacks Austin Brown, Conner Preston (Southern Methodist University), Dayne Crist (University of Notre Dame), Cody Keith[12] (East Carolina University), Daxx Garman (Oklahoma State University),[13][14]David Cornwell (University of Alabama),[15][16][17][18]Alexander Diamont (Indiana University), Graham Wilbert[19][20][21] (Florida Atlantic University), and Quinn Shanbour (Oklahoma State University). Along with his involvement in the development of top 2016 quarterback prospect Augie DeBiase[22] and top youth quarterback prospect JD Head,[23] Dickinson is also responsible for assisting in the development of the following 2014 and 2015 Division One quarterback commitments:[24] Travis Smith (University of Toledo), Landon Root (Northern Illinois University), Rafe Peavey (University of Arkansas), and John Jacobs[25][26][27][28][29] (East Carolina University).

----------

Not exactly your murderer's row of NFL success stories.

That's almost comical if Troy Aikman wasn't there. Who i also think was over rated.....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly your murderer's row of NFL success stories.

Well, who exactly needs a 'guru' if your QB is good already?

He's a 'turd polisher' and can only work with what he has....

from what I am hearing from reports from people at the practices, Manuel is playing pretty well, but all the talking heads are saying that the others are playing better, Taylor is using his feet a lot, Cassel has hit some nice throws. Manuel is playing against the #4 defense, primarily, while the others are playing 2nd unit, correct? I trust those that are watching the practices over those that get paid to write about them. Defenses are always ahead of Offenses at this point of pre-season, so it's natural that a QB is going to have ups and downs early on....dear lord this is driving me nuts...i want the regular season to start so we can get away from all this speculation.

One thing the media can do is drive a narrative--rightly or wrongly.

The throw-by-throw commentary, even from guys like Carucci who've been around the block, is bugging me to no end. It captures eyeballs and clicks, but ultimately it may cause fan opinion to turn against a guy like EJ. That to me is the real reason why Saturday's scrimmage is so important...

Do you happen to recall why Dick Jauron drafted Eric Wood, and Andy Levitre? Well I do!

It was because ole dickie stopped having nightmares about Brady to Randy Moss, and started having them about Kris Jenkins eating his QB's.

In 2008 the Bills played the NY Jets at Buffalo, and Phil Simms was announcing. There was a play with both OG's, and the center tried unsuccessfully to block Kris Jenkins. Yeah, that's right as the TV world watched one Jets player was triple teamed by the Bills interior line, and Jenkins still got to the QB!! Jauron then realized he needed to replace the entire interior of the Bills line, and did so for 2009.

Now sadly, that was the same year that the Bills decided to trade away all pro LT Jason Peters, and the reason the team had the extra picks. The FO in all its stupidity thought they could replace the most important position on the line in all pro Peters with a 7th rounder in Demetress Bell. Needless to say the Bills could have drafted Lber Clay Matthews instead of Aaron Maybin or Alex Mack instead of Wood, but that is another sad story entirely.

P.S. With the interior line its not about one on one blocking when you are facing two of the best DT's in the league. Its about making sure that both players are adequately blocked, and knowing the line assignments. With two new players at OG in Incognito and rookie Miller I'd say off hand the problem is more with them understanding, and knowing their responsibilities every play.

The center calls the line assignments, and needs to make certain he is snapping the ball accurately which can leave him vulnerable on the side he snaps with because he needs to get that arm up and into position very quickly. If a "good" center is getting overpowered its probably because one of the OG's are not very good at their job. JMO

PPS Evan Mathis where are you?

Respect you for the sentiment and taking the time to respond... but wasn't wood drafted as a Guard. He replaced some jobber got hurt 2 or 3 times... and coming from me... leg injuries are killers! Its not hand placement. It for me is the ability to anchor. Against the Jets who usually run the dt 1 shade which the center has to atleast chip... or hand off to the guard. Against the 43 you are right it is the guard responsibility to play that tackle. But when i evaluate woods blocking. I am looking at HIS ability to block. But i cant believe im the only one who worries when playing a nose. Suh is gonna be handled by either guard i can feel it. Side note NE is still running a 30 front aren't they?

If he isn't the starter, what is the point of keeping him around?

They need the veteran presence. Somebody will have to mentor Tyrod, he will take some of the stress off the pressure of starting.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Henderson has looked good, and Cherilus is still a possibility

That's good to hear about Henderson, but didn't reports from last year say he looked good? I remember him getting first-team reps right away and the media was generally writing favorable reports on him.

Then he ended up having a below-average year. There were certainly other variables, such as coaching and surrounding talent, that could've made him look worse than he was.