Need advice: Attending Bills game

Hi everyone,

Looking for your advice. I'm considering going to a Bills game in September. Either opening day or the game against the Patriots. I live in Maryland and taking the girlfriend with me (even though she's a Steelers fan).

Questions that I would love to get your take on:

1) Which is a better game to go to?

2) Should we drive or take the plane? (It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive to Buffalo from MD)

3) Where should we stay?

4) What section should we aim for? (Willing to spend $150 per ticket)

Thanks for any input!

Go Bills!!!

Peter

Take Monday off. Drive out Saturday morning, get a room for Saturday and Sunday. Sunday is so much better when you can relax and not have the trip home hanging over you.

A lot of people will say do the pats game but there is something about the opener that really juices up the tailgate and in game atmosphere

Do the opener- they are unequaled. The prices for both games are expensive this year so you may be near the endszones or upper deck for 150 each. Get in a day early and cruise around the bars downtown on Saturday night. Get up and to the stadium bright and early the next for the festivities.

Hi everyone,

Looking for your advice. I'm considering going to a Bills game in September. Either opening day or the game against the Patriots. I live in Maryland and taking the girlfriend with me (even though she's a Steelers fan).

2) Should we drive or take the plane? (It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive to Buffalo from MD)

3) Where should we stay?

Thanks for any input!

Go Bills!!!

Peter

Hey Peter!

you sure picked the right season to get down and dirty!

why now ? honest question?

make some connections here and maybe meet up with some of the regular tailgators.

i have read that there are some very nice people here abouts that might welcome you and your girlfriend and share some Buffalo hospitality.

Hey Peter!

you sure picked the right season to get down and dirty!

why now ? honest question?

make some connections here and maybe meet up with some of the regular tailgators.

i have read that there are some very nice people here abouts that might welcome you and your girlfriend and share some Buffalo hospitality.

Hi there! I've been a Bills fan since 1990 and have only gone to 1 Bills game in 1995 (does preseason count?). I'm really excited about the team this year and just want to be with Bills nation on opening day.

Game? I'd look at seats and choose game which you can get best seats within price range.

Drive. When you combine the hassles of airports and renting a car driving much easier.

The I99 to 219 route thru central PA is fast; get gas at Indian reservation when you enter New York.

Hotels depend on taste - want to be near bars for walking or near stadium?

Game? I'd look at seats and choose game which you can get best seats within price range.

Drive. When you combine the hassles of airports and renting a car driving much easier.

The I99 to 219 route thru central PA is fast; get gas at Indian reservation when you enter New York.

Hotels depend on taste - want to be near bars for walking or near stadium?

Actually I just purchased my tickets - section 333, row 12! Whoo!

Now.. as for hotel, I'd like to be nearby the stadium. We'll probably get to Buffalo 6 or 7pm in the Sat. evening.

Edited by SuperBills12

Try this link:

https://www.kayak.com/hotels/Orchard-Park,NY-c10738/2015-09-12/2015-09-13/2guests

If available:

Hampton Inn Buffalo South/I-90

1750 Ridge Rd

West Seneca, NY 14224

(716) 824-2030
Red Roof Inn Buffalo - Hamburg

5370 Camp Rd

Hamburg, NY 14075

(716) 648-7222
Orchard Park Inn

2268 Southwestern Blvd

Buffalo, NY 14224 (Orchard Park Not Buffalo)

(716) 674-6000
Staybridge Suites Buffalo

164 Slade Ave

West Seneca, NY 14224

(716) 939-3100
Comfort Inn & Suites

3615 Commerce Pl

Hamburg, NY 14075

(716) 648-2922
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Hamburg

3565 Commerce Pl

Hamburg, NY 14075

(716) 648-9200

Quality Inn 5440 Camp Rd
Hamburg, NY 14075
(716) 649-0500
Edited by Koolaid

Now.. as for hotel, I'd like to be nearby the stadium. We'll probably get to Buffalo 6 or 7pm in the Sat. evening.

Which game did you take? Doesn't matter now and sorry if I'm late to address this but, hands down the game of choice is the opener. There's a different feeling in the air and it's a great time. Even more so this year.

I get that you want to be close to the stadium, but I'd strongly recommend staying in downtown Bflo. Better hotel selection and lots of activity.

Edit: ha, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread. I think you'll be glad you opted for downtown. I think that's the same hotel my wife and I booked for the opener as well.

Edited by eball

I get that you want to be close to the stadium, but I'd strongly recommend staying in downtown Bflo. Better hotel selection and lots of activity.

Edit: ha, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread. I think you'll be glad you opted for downtown. I think that's the same hotel my wife and I booked for the opener as well.

Yep, we decided to get a hotel downtown and arrive on Friday. We'll go to Niagra Falls on Saturday, and take in the Bills opener Sunday. I'm so excited!!!

be sure to check out (716) next door in Harborcenter.

Thanks, will do! I've heard/read good things

Yep, we decided to get a hotel downtown and arrive on Friday. We'll go to Niagra Falls on Saturday, and take in the Bills opener Sunday. I'm so excited!!!

was there for the first time last week. The 2nd floor bar was so cool. Great experience. Can't wait to go back when there is a game on.

Don't forget to bring your passports. They will not let you into Canada (nor back in the US) without it. Canadian side of the Falls is 10x better than the American side.

Edited by Bills Juggernaut

I thought I read somewhere (here most likely) that the Downer is doner...as in closed.

I think there was a post here not too long ago about how canadian strip clubs have been really struggling and alot have been shutting their doors and then some posters commented about Sundowner in the thread but didn't say they were shutting down

When I was a lad, I got to choose one game to go to every season...I always chose the game that the Bills had the best chance to win...the drive home was always brutally long after a loss...

I got two games. And, one was always the Dolphins. You know how that worked out in the 70s!

Should have used your method!

Hi everyone,

3) Where should we stay?

Thanks for any input!

Go Bills!!!

Peter

Definitely the season opener!!! However you travel, plan on staying Sunday night... There are 2-3 star hotels nearby- motel 6 Hamburg or the Red Carpet Inn.... The second is easily walking distance to the stadium and the first is only a few miles.... Both a pretty much dives though..... If you are willing to spend $150/ticket I would look for anything lower level.... If I didn't have seasons, I would be looking at sections 123-135

When I was a lad, I got to choose one game to go to every season...I always chose the game that the Bills had the best chance to win...the drive home was always brutally long after a loss...

This always figured in to my decisions as well

Years ago when the pats were on their way to 16-0 I went to the Sunday night game at the Ralph. Bills lost 55-10. It was miserable. I haven't done a pats game since.

Just an FYI, if you are into pint glasses for your home, 716 will sell their custom pints. I would recommend getting the football only ones individually because if you buy the set, they have one fball, one baseball, one basketball and a golf.

Cool place though.

Well guys... terrible news. After purchasing the tickets and getting the hotel, I can't attend because we overlooked the fact we have 2 obligations that weekend that can't be moved. We were so excited to do this.

If anyone wants to purchase my tickets, please direct message me - Section 333, row 12. I listed them on stub hub, but if anyone wants to cut them out they will be a lot cheaper.

If I can get rid of them, I may consider going to the Pats game instead.

-signed dejected Bills fan.

Edited by SuperBills12

Well guys... terrible news. After purchasing the tickets and getting the hotel, I can't attend because we overlooked the fact we have 2 obligations that weekend that can't be moved. We were so excited to do this.

If anyone wants to purchase my tickets, please direct message me - Section 333, row 12. I listed them on stub hub, but if anyone wants to cut them out they will be a lot cheaper.

nooooooo :(

Reminds me of my favorite vanity license plate I've seen around town:

PLAN AHE

Are these obligations somebody just made you aware of? Wow, what a bummer. Good luck selling the tix and getting to another game.

As someone who is also from MD and has gone to a few games in recent years I would say you'd be better off driving. While it is a long drive it's a pretty simple and nice drive IMO, assuming you would take 83, particularly when you get into northern PA with the mountains (not much around so make sure your car won't break down).

As far as the game, I would recommend the opener. The home opener does usually seem to be the best and who knows how often you'll get to see Andrew Luck play whereas we get Brady every year (and of course if his suspension holds you won't even get to see him this year).

Oops, didn't see this before my last post. Sorry to hear that.

Edited by Talley56

Drive out Friday and drive home Monday. See if you can make pats game. Giants game? You have to plan on Hammers for tailgating when you come. Have to get to Hammers Before 8 if you want to park in lot.

It's okay to tell everyone that you are not coming to the opener because you found out that I would not be at that game.

Rule number 1: no weekend obligations in the fall

Yes. Words can't describe it. But in the grand scheme of life, its a blip right? (proceeds to keep pounding the wall)

no. this an epic fail on your part. not a blip by any means. and dont try to play it off.

you have personally let me down.

if you do not purchase tickets for another game within one week i am going to push for you to be banned.

My hopes are dashed.

Just tell the wife you have a business trip opening Day?

geesh.

Rule number 1: no weekend obligations in the fall

Lifer^

learn from this 12. wise words.

My Kids know Sunday afternoon are booked. dont even try.

Its a call your Mother if you need anything day.

Edited by 3rdand12