Carucci: Glenn likely "odd man out" in contract extensions

I just don't see anyone breaking the bank on Glenn next year. The list of UFA LTs is up thread, and its pretty impressive. I'm not saying it couldn't happen (particularly if he has a monster year), but because of the available talent on the market next year I don't think it will. I'm hoping we can lock him up for $40 million over 5 years.

and then move him to guard

you frighten me

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was it the sarcasm. I tried to use TBD approved font, but couldn't find it. Sorry if it sounds like I'm on tirade.

it was. my retort was also in fun.

do not ever worry about my perception.

i found it quite humorous actually. my kind of humor. which IS the scary part

Dumbest argument ever. I emplore you to name me a single college program that has 2 current "good" NFL QBs from it? The fact is, every single program has QBs that were good at the college level and then were not as good at the NFL level. This is the laziest argument regarding a QB that is possible. USC isn't even under the same coaching staff anymore. Just so dumb. And it's not like they are running a Houston offense, they run a pro-style offense vs high caliber defenses. Guess we can't draft Cook because Michigan State doesn't have any good QBs from there, or Hackenberg since Penn State doesn't either. Cardale Jones? Nope, don't you remember Troy Smith??? Dak Prescott? Name me a single other Miss St. QB you have ever even heard of. Sudfield, Boykin? Nope, nope. Well, guess that means Hogan is the only one that has any shot at any career based on all the QBs that share the same schools as these guys. But then again, but they seem to do it only every 30 years so we have 25 more to wait to hit on another Stanford QB. Again. so dumb.

Just curious. 70% completion, 39 TDs vs 5 INTs and a 167 passer rating is not putting it all together for a season? Jeez, I wonder what his stat line will be if he does. He also had a very nice 2013 with 3000 yards, 65% completion and 20/7 TD/INT. Most notably though he improves yearly. You guys just want to hate on a guy for the sake of hating on him or because of what QBs from his school did in the NFL. So funny.

Well this is a bit of a de-rail of the thread. The "No to USC Quarterbacks" was a bit of a throw away line, tongue firmly in cheek - it wasn't the basis of my argument. It just so happens that the guy Kessler reminds me of in recent drafts is Matt Barkley. They are a similar size, they have a similar throwing style, they both lack an NFL level arm in my opinion (I was saying this when people were lauding Barkley who going into his final year was the hot tip to be the #1 overall pick in the draft) and Kessler's statline for 2014 and Barkley's for his junior year in 2011 they are eerily similar. Accuracy at college level does not necessarily translate to the NFL, the windows are much smaller and tighter and defenders close more quickly on the ball in coverage so even on short and intermediate routes you need a stronger arm in the pros.

The only reason them going to USC is relevant is I do feel that if you play Quarterback at USC you garner attention and publicity in a way that outstrips most other college programmes. I think they have all been overdrafted until Barkley - who went right about where he should have gone - late 3rd early 4th and I think the glamour and attention of USC plays into that.

I am not saying, and was never intending to say, that USC can never produce a good Quarterback. Carson Palmer (whilst again overdrafted as a #1 overall) has been a solid NFL starter for most of his career so to try and say that wouldn't stack up anyway.

Last year the team had the #4 defense, and still couldn't stop Tom Brady...or even stop rookie QB Derek Carr on a scrub team... in a game with a playoff berth on the line.

Its time to stop the forever, on going continuous defensive building and focus on finding a franchise QB! and then protecting him properly! JMO. Mega millions for a DE, DE, DT and a fifty cent QB...

this

this is why they should sign him THIS year before he shows that he is if not elite, nearly so. This year he will be healthy with a new and very real coaching staff.

sound crazy but he is a priority for me. Partially because after last year he might be a relative bargain.

lets keep in mind who he has shut down. and they left him on an island mostly last year.

pay the man.

You can't force a man to sign a contract. If we don't offer him top 5 money, he's not picking up a pen IMO. Some guys want to test free agency and gauge their worth

Last year the team had the #4 defense, and still couldn't stop Tom Brady...or even stop rookie QB Derek Carr on a scrub team... in a game with a playoff berth on the line.

Its time to stop the forever, on going continuous defensive building and focus on finding a franchise QB! and then protecting him properly! JMO. Mega millions for a DE, DE, DT and a fifty cent QB...

Let me know where the Franchise QB tree is so we can go pick one....I will hold the ladder for you.......

Next year really does have the potential to be a very good QB draft. There are as many as 9 guys that--with solid 2015 campaigns--could end up as 1st or 2nd round picks:

Hackenberg

C. Jones

Cook

Kessler

Goff

Hogan

Boykin

Prescott

Brissett

and I am perfectly ok with packaging picks to move up from where ever we pick in the 1st round to take that QB AND sit him for a year if need be.

The team is in a good situation to do that.......especially if one of these QBs shows the ability to caretake the offense.

and I am perfectly ok with packaging picks to move up from where ever we pick in the 1st round to take that QB AND sit him for a year if need be.

The team is in a good situation to do that.......especially if one of these QBs shows the ability to caretake the offense.

I'm totally fine with that too...I think the best we can realistically hope for is for one of the 3 QBs currently on the roster to be adequate, and for 4 or 5 of the guys on that list to really show something in college and enter the draft.

This is another reason I like Kessler. By most accounts he should be around throughout the first (at this point) because of his perceived "average" arm strength and we wouldn't need to do something like this. We all know the risks of the vast majority of first round QB picks. I'd rather not further increase that risk by trading more picks to take one higher as I don't see any of these guys as Luck/Peyton level of "sure thing."

Edited by Mark80

I was thinking the same thing! The thing that makes me feel better about it is that Peters was let go because Wilson refused to spend the money that's not an issue with Pegula,

Wilson's representative refused to renegotiate since Peters had signed an extension and if rules were followed he had no leverage; the ability to hold out and come back week 8 or later out of shape to get year of eligibility is not something NFL should allow - we saw results with Byrd.

Wilson's representative refused to renegotiate since Peters had signed an extension and if rules were followed he had no leverage; the ability to hold out and come back week 8 or later out of shape to get year of eligibility is not something NFL should allow - we saw results with Byrd.

The Bills offered Peters 9m. He wanted 10. It wasn't that they didn't want to renegotiate with him. They didn't want to pay him 10m and they didn't want him to sit out TC like he did before.

You can't force a man to sign a contract. If we don't offer him top 5 money, he's not picking up a pen IMO. Some guys want to test free agency and gauge their worth

Nope all you can do is make an offer and open up the table to dialogue. and thats what i suggest the Overdorf/Whaley team does.

Glenn has done a fine job.

and imo will only improve with age and a surrounding cast of fat kids. Put Miller next to him to keep him in cadence and Richie at RG to help out the second year player whomever he might be.

its not my money so spend it till there aint no more. oh wait. thats what i do : )

Yeah, some more interesting tidbits about the Marrone/Hackett offense in there.

Lol

"We can attack the defense from every angle, in ways theyre not even expecting. I think it just kind of gets the defense more on their toes instead of just them saying, OK, well, theyre going to hit us with this play 15 times every game. "

Lol

"We can attack the defense from every angle, in ways theyre not even expecting. I think it just kind of gets the defense more on their toes instead of just them saying, OK, well, theyre going to hit us with this play 15 times every game. "

I think there hasn't been enough attention on the possibility of the Bills actually having a good offense this year. The offense has been so stifled for so long by Marrone's ultra-safe and predictable philosophy that I could see a 180 degree turnaround this year.

I see the Bills as being like the Seahawks or Niners teams from a few seasons ago. A team that becomes very good, very fast due to the offense catching up enough to a top defense to become a very tough team to beat.

Lol

Pretty telling stuff. Too bad the Bills OL was not equiped to run that type of "here's what we're going to do, try and stop us" scheme....

On the other hand, the Jason Garrett comments about how the Coyboys are being built in Vic's column (build a dominant O-line) are what you can do when you've got the players to run the same play 15 times per game...

I think there hasn't been enough attention on the possibility of the Bills actually having a good offense this year. The offense has been so stifled for so long by Marrone's ultra-safe and predictable philosophy that I could see a 180 degree turnaround this year.

I see the Bills as being like the Seahawks or Niners teams from a few seasons ago. A team that becomes very good, very fast due to the offense catching up enough to a top defense to become a very tough team to beat.

It's an intriguing possibility but too many ifs for me to be confident...

If Roman is as good as some say he is and his final year in San Fran isn't the true barometer of his abilities...

If EJ or TT quarterbacks better than they've ever QB-ed before... (Or if MC QBs as good as his very best years...)

If Incognito regains his form....

If the rest of the OL plays well, not like last year...

If Harvin learns to be a full-fledged WR...

If Shady isn't beat up after leading the league in carries over the past 5 years...

If Shady is beat up then this could matter: If Freddy hasn't finally become too old for the NFL...

It's going to be interesting to watch.

It's an intriguing possibility but too many ifs for me to be confident...

If Roman is as good as some say he is and his final year in San Fran isn't the true barometer of his abilities...

If EJ or TT quarterbacks better than they've ever QB-ed before... (Or if MC QBs as good as his very best years...)

If Incognito regains his form....

If the rest of the OL plays well, not like last year...

If Harvin learns to be a full-fledged WR...

If Shady isn't beat up after leading the league in carries over the past 5 years...

If Shady is beat up then this could matter: If Freddy hasn't finally become too old for the NFL...

It's going to be interesting to watch.

All true but it isn't really that much harder to be better than last year's offense. Roman knows this is a great opportunity. EJ got awful coaching his first 2 years. Marrone benched his best G for half of a season for some reason and moved a 6'8" career T to G. He used our best wr as a decoy and never threw him screens, which he was a monster at in college.

Roman might not have us as the league's best offense. But it is going to be hard to do much worse than Marrone/ Hackett did.