Not all In on Miller and Kouandjio Starting .. Whaley's Wart

patfitz

The Bills attempted to get a proven staring tackle in free agency and fell short. Then waited until round 3 to draft Miller who seems undersized and is raw to be an immediate starter. Koundjo really needs to step it up and there is not much to go by other than hope and Henderson lareaduy seems to be in the dog house. If the Bills are going to pound the rock than Whaley really needs to step up and go for Mathis or some other FA and stop trying to plug in retreads. With Williams back surgery and his reputation for being hurt there is not much starting or even backup depth to pave the way fro Shady and company. If we are going to open holes for the running game we need to get a proven tackle besides Cordy Glenn and another guard before it is too late.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills attempted to get a proven staring tackle in free agency and fell short. Then waited until round 3 to draft Miller who seems undersized and is raw to be an immediate starter. Koundjo really needs to step it up and there is not much to go by other than hope and Henderson lareaduy seems to be in the dog house. If the Bills are going to pound the rock than Whaley really needs to step up and go for Mathis or some other FA and stop trying to plug in retreads. With Williams back surgery and his reputation for being hurt there is not much starting or even backup depth to pave the way fro Shady and company. If we are going to open holes for the running game we need to get a proven tackle besides Cordy Glenn and another guard before it is too late.

You lost me at raw to describe Miller. They drafted him because of his intelligence and high floor. He is pretty much the exact opposite of raw so far.

It's very sad, but this is absolutely on the money (until proven otherwise). Without a QB, the line is essential to achieving average performance on offense. It's super interesting how the outcome here affects Marrone's reputation. Whaley has performed very well in my book, and I definitely maintain a high level of confidence at this relatively early stage of his GM career. This issue is critical on so many levels. Not sure Mathis makes sense. There are too many mouths to feed as it is. I tend to believe the play of the o-line the last few years is somewhat underweighted when it comes to the QB discussion. When guards are literal turnstiles, it makes it really tough to be effective moving the ball. Our guards should be better.....right? If not, it's going to be really frustrating once again.

Chris Williams is not a factor in this equation. He's obviously gonna get cut. It's gonna be glenn, incognito, wood, miller and whoever wins the battle between cyrus and Henderson and it's going to be a vastly improved line. Barring injury I'd be shocked if it's not a good line. Please stop with this. You talk about whaley not addressing the line- he went all in on the line one year ago and all three were viewed as great value picks at the time. Give the guys a year or two would ya?

Gonna have to wait until the pads come on to see what they got for sure. In the mean time, they are learning against the best D-line in the league. They won't be a top 10 line, but if they can at least get to average, that would be a heck of a lot better than last year, when the team went 9-7.

With the talent they've added, and a much improved scheme and coaching, I expect the O to be much better than last year. For 2 years under Marrone and Hacket, the O averaged 21 ppg. The difference last year, is the D went from about 24 to 18 ppg. So they went from a spread of -3 to +3 in ppg. I'll be surprised if the O does not reach 24 ppg this year, and if the D ppg is no worse than last year, that spells playoffs.

Gonna have to wait until the pads come on to see what they got for sure. In the mean time, they are learning against the best D-line in the league. They won't be a top 10 line, but if they can at least get to average, that would be a heck of a lot better than last year, when the team went 9-7.

With the talent they've added, and a much improved scheme and coaching, I expect the O to be much better than last year. For 2 years under Marrone and Hacket, the O averaged 21 ppg. The difference last year, is the D went from about 24 to 18 ppg. So they went from a spread of -3 to +3 in ppg. I'll be surprised if the O does not reach 24 ppg this year, and if the D ppg is no worse than last year, that spells playoffs.

That's a damn fine post right there.

I really hope the PPG goes down. Last time Rex's defense had a PPG under 20 was 2010. That was also the last time he had a good offense.

Do you think it's a bit silly to judge players you haven't seen?

I think he should trade names with negativo

Miller sounds like a perfect fit, so where's the link to the raw part being the case ?

he's a rookie ... duh .... B-)

They'd better get Mathis. OL had a huge share of the responsibility for the QB play. I'd take incognito and Mathis at guard over just about any tandem in the league.

Would love this but we will do fine either way. I'm not a huge fan of Miller do to smurfitis but I'll have to see how he does.

I can't be entirely disagree with someone who has a dose of skepticism for trusting the right side a 3 round rookie and the guy who couldn't play his way onto the field before we see contact drills.

That said, I am all in. Cyrus was critically mishandled. Miller already looks like a younger, more solid Urbik.

Stop plugging in retreads? That's exactly what your asking Whaley to do by going after some veteran FA guard. Starting your rookie and second year picks is what you want to happen.